Packers 2020 Training Camp

Brat&Beer

54 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Packers could have a tough decision here. Turner might be a better fit for wide zone running game, but Taylor is a better pass blocker ( at least at Guard). Of course, if Wagner stays out, the decision will be made for them.     

The nuances of OL play are lost on me. Never played there...never coached it. My take on Taylor has been (and remains) he's a handy guy to have around......and now, I think he's about as inexpensive as they get. Where he stands in the roster pecking order....cant say. 

On 8/24/2020 at 1:18 PM, Brat&Beer said:

I've maintained his footwork has suffered since the knee injury he suffered on opening night against the Bears in 2018. Improved footwork could lead to some elimination of missed throws we continued to see last year, 

My theory on Rodgers is more it dates back to 2015. When Jordy got hurt he had to go YOLO/more scramble drill to have success since our weapons sucked (Cobb was never 100%, the ground game sucked, Adams hadn’t developed yet, TEs sucked). With plus talent that he had years of experience with in 2016 and 17 (until hurt) it was fine. With a bunch of unknown targets and not having that long standing relationship it’s been more detrimental in 2018/19.

2 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

My theory on Rodgers more it dates back to 2015. When Jordy got hurt he had to go YOLO/more scramble drill to have success since our weapons sucked (Cobb was never 100%, the ground game sucked, Adams hadn’t developed yet, TEs sucked). With plus talent that he had years of experience with in 2016 and 17 (until hurt) it was fine. With a bunch of unknown targets and not having that long standing relationship it’s been more detrimental in 2018/19.

I agree completely. I find Rodgers is really a rhythm QB, you can normally tell pretty early on if he is on game or not. He needs early completions. When he has good options to throw to that gets him into rhythm. If he is forcing it to Adams when Adams is covered and he don't like his other options he can't find a rhythm. Also in I remember 2015 when Ty Montgomery went down you could see it badly affected Rodgers. He already lost Jordy and was dependent that his 4th option. Once that happened you could really see he was not the same QB. These years he hasn't had the options that he trusts/wants. 

38 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

...Rodgers is really a rhythm QB, you can normally tell pretty early on if he is on game or not. He needs early completions. ... 

This is where MLF's run-heavy, "run-sets-up-the-pass" concept may be tricky.  If Rodgers isn't passing very often, it may be hard to get into throwing rhythm.  Really important that you get some 1st-quarter drives that go somewhere, and get some completions.  A couple of run-run-throw-punt series don't get a passer's throwing rhythm rolling. 

On 8/24/2020 at 1:23 PM, MrBobGray said:

You know, I was all set to write a post about how Rodgers doesn't always play with lax mechanics, and that his highlight reel is a mix of both poor and good fundamentals.

But then I actually watched a career highlight tape again, and good lord if every single pass isn't his "fall left to generate power" throwing motion.  It really is incredible when you see how consistent he's been with an inherently inconsistent motion through his career.  That being said, my question now is less "what's wrong with Aaron" and more "how did he not hit the wall sooner?"  

I don't think I realized until I saw so many clips of him through different years exactly how he does it.  People talk about it being pure arm talent (and it is in terms of accuracy) but he's actually generating the power from sheer torque; he's not driving the ball through his hips, he's literally spinning like a top for a quarter-turn.  That's why his feet aren't on the ground, and it's why he always falls left. You see people who don't know how to throw a ball try stuff like this, but it works for Aaron because he's combined it with the necessary proper fundamentals to ensure it's more reliable and generates controlled power rather than just whipping the ball wherever.  He's almost discus-throwing a football with perfect accuracy, which is wild.

It's also inconsistent of course, because the core aspect of any fundamental movement in any sport is repeatability, as that produces precision.  They are designed to be able to be performed exactly the same way every time, which allows you to get the same result every time, which allows you to then improve that result, adding accuracy to your precision.  But there's absolutely no way for Rodgers to do that with his throwing motion; not only is it difficult if not impossible to consistently execute it the same way every time for a given throw, but the amount you need to turn is different for every throw.  With standard mechanics, the power comes from driving through your hips, giving a straight line of force for the ball from the QB to the receiver.  The result is that the throwing motion is the same for every type of throw and every area of the field, with minor adjustments for things like exact foot placement.  But Rodgers is doing this almost entirely off feel; where he lets go of the ball seems to be based mostly off his encyclopedic knowledge of all the other throws he's made.  He talked once about how he hit the throw to Geronimo in 2017 against the Bengals and a similar throw he made to James Jones flashed into his mind right before he threw it, helping him know where to put the ball.  I thought he was just talking about how much air to put under the ball, but now I kinda think he literally meant a sort of sense memory of just how much he need to torque himself to put the ball there.  

Or I just picked the wrong week to start sniffing glue.

You literally just described my golf mechanics.....to a tee!

On 8/23/2020 at 12:38 PM, Brat&Beer said:

I agree. I also just think that whole ILB situation looks better this year. Kirksey when healthy is an upgrade over Martinez, Burks is healthy and Summers isn't a rookie. Packers might not have to lead the NFL in dime packages this year.

Yea, at first I was concerned with the group and still might be but it does look a lot better than last year. Excited for Kirksey if he can stay healthy, Burks is healthy and has added some weight, Martin is showing some promise(even though it seems like an off ball linebacker impresses in camp every year.) We also get Greene and Bolton back from injuries which gets overlooked. 

On 8/21/2020 at 4:36 PM, Apex said:

Is it possible they want to see what Jackson can do outside in case they can't/don't resign Kevin King next year?

I wish Jackson could stick on the outside so we could move Jaire around more and let him use his playmaking ability in the slot as well. 

On 8/24/2020 at 4:47 PM, Outpost31 said:

Just hoping people stop worrying about that. 

Do you remember how much Rodgers sucked when he was the backup to Favre?  Everything about him was how much he sucked.  Everything. 

He came into the Ravens game after Favre had gone 14/29, 144 yards, 4.97 yards per attempt and two interceptions.  He sucked because he threw an interception.  That game was 3-48. 

Since I'm on the other side of the pond, I've only twice been able to make it to see GB live, but I was there for that! I like to tell myself our steamrollIng of NO earlier that season (where Rodgers went 1-for-1 for 0 yards) never happened, and so I got to be there for his first real playing time for the Packers. I need some silver lining for the fact that one of my two games was, at least at the time, the worst defeat in MNF history. 

The other game? I sh*t you not, the 'chop block' game back vs TB. I might be a little cursed. 

8 hours ago, Victor1124 said:

I wish Jackson could stick on the outside so we could move Jaire around more and let him use his playmaking ability in the slot as well. 

If Jackson can become the player the Packers thought they drafted, it may turn out that the hiring of Jerry Gray was the Packers most important off-season move. Alexander already has talked about how Gray has changed his mental preparation on how to play the position. 

Edited by Brat&Beer
  • Like 1