Packers 2020 Training Camp

Brat&Beer

On 7/21/2020 at 10:37 PM, JQ1 said:

I’m wondering who gets cut if the TC rosters are 80 players. I don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion they'll release undrafted free agents. There may be some guys the Packers like in those 15 UFAs.

They're now saying teams won't have to cut from 90 to 80 until padded practices start August 16.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

They're now saying teams won't have to cut from 90 to 80 until padded practices start August 16.  👍

An excerpt from ESPN:

"Among the agreements by NFL teams that are pending player approval, sources told ESPN:

• The 80-man roster deadline is Aug. 16, before padded practice, but teams can have 90-man rosters if they go with a split-squad setup. Some teams have plans to split squads and use stadium and regular practice facilities."

Here's the entire article:

NFL Training Camp

Edited by JQ1

7 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I would call it a candidate vaccine. There are several candidate vaccines out there, by different companies, that induce an antibody response sufficient enough to ensure immunity in at least 70% of the population (which is about what the flu vaccine does). I have been predicting all along that a vaccine will be ready by January. I'm still holding to that timeline. Then, of course, there's the tactical problem of producing 330,000,000  6 billion doses and distributing them. I would be happy if we're all vaccinated by April 2021. Just in time for the next football season.

Fixed. 

Edited by Mr Bad Example

How first week of #Packers camp looks this year:

Tuesday: COVID-19 testing
Wednesday: COVID-19 testing
Thursday: No testing
Friday: COVID-19 testing
Saturday/Sunday: physicals and equipment
Monday: 60 minutes weight room, 60 minutes on-field conditioning, 60 minutes walkthrough

I don't think we get any padded practices till August 22nd so its going to be awhile before we learn much about the 2020 Packers

On 7/22/2020 at 9:43 AM, Lodestar said:

Ahhhhh, the sweet memory of risking your family's health and safety in the midst of a pandemic and being the first guy cut at the end of camp.

If there is any year to attend a camp and try to show out for a guy who would typically be 5th-7th on the depth chart, this is the year:

-You're likely a super in shape 23 year old (the virus isn't going to kill you based on pretty much every data survey).

-You're also living by yourself in Green Bay Wisconsin away from any higher risk family.

- If a vet decides to opt out, you have less competition and a chance at enough money to get you a nice head start in life before a 9-5 grind (rookie minimum is 480k or 8k a week on the PS). Even after taxes that is your first house paid off in many areas (or for a PSer a nice downpayment)

On 7/24/2020 at 12:27 PM, Cakeshoppe said:

Yeah the three vaccine candidates that are furthest along are all entering phase 3 trials late this month. Most experts agree it’s pretty unlikely they will be ready for distribution by November, let alone September. We’re still looking at early 2021 as a reasonably optimistic goal for shipping vaccines and spring/ summer 2021 for widespread availability.

Phase III trials are going on in Europe now with the Oxford backed vaccine. US govt has contracted for 100 million doses to be produced starting in December. Lets hope that's the timeline and maybe we can get fans in the stands by playoffs. 

30 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Phase III trials are going on in Europe now with the Oxford backed vaccine. US govt has contracted for 100 million doses to be produced starting in December. Lets hope that's the timeline and maybe we can get fans in the stands by playoffs. 

Jim-Mora-Playoffs.jpg

• Like 3

The Green Bay Packers trimmed two players off of the roster on Monday, releasing rookie quarterback Jalen Morton and fullback Elijah Wellman.

GM Brian Gutekunst’s roster is slowly getting closer to 80 players, the maximum set for Aug. 16.

The move leaves Aaron Rodgers, rookie Jordan Love and Tim Boyle as the only three quarterbacks in Green Bay for the rest of training camp. Morton went undrafted out of Prairie View A&M and signed with the Packers on April 29.

Wellman, who signed in January, was the only fullback on the roster, but the Packers claimed H-back John Lovett off of waivers, likely providing incentive to make the move.

Gutey said they had hoped to sign Lovett after the draft, but he had signed with the Chiefs instead. 

Long snapper Hunter Bradley has been placed on the Covid-19 reserve list. From the article:

"This now puts two-thirds of the team’s kicking battery on the list with about two weeks to go before training camp practices begin."

Link

An interesting perspective about MVS from a fantasy site I hadn't thought of.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/07/fantasy-football-sleepers-on-all-32-nfl-teams-2020/

Valdes-Scantling will go back to the role that he’s excelled in: the slot. Through his two years in the league, Valdes-Scantling has produced 1.97 fantasy points per target in the slot, while producing just 0.95 per target on the perimeter, which is the second-largest gap in the league. With Geronimo Allison gone, we could see a reemergence out of the receiver who was drafted as a top-40 option in 2019 fantasy drafts.

• Like 1

Thanks, Brat.  I wouldn't have expected that.  In a sense that's kind of a bummer; I'd imagined more of these other big-bruising blockers and hybrid TE's in slot, with MVS stretching the defense and getting 1-on-1's deep from the outside.  Perhaps my imagination stinks.