Official New York Rangers Thread

roysmyboy31

Zibanejad agrees to 5 year deal

Good to get this business out of the way.  Zibanejad and the Rangers agreed to a 5 year deal with a $5.35M AAV.  I was thinking 5x5 deal, so not too far off.  Perhaps our dire situation at C gave Zib more leverage in negotiations.  He had a solid first season with us and still has room to grow.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pionk that was filthyyyyyy wish we had room for him.  Silky smooth skater and has a BOMB, holy cow right before his goal he came off the bench with a laser. Getting rid of Holden and benching Staal should be prioritized.  Tony D looks great and dynamic.  Even Graves looks good.  Berezgalov has great size and KHL experience.

I really wish we could carry (1) McD & Shatty, (2) Skjei & B Smith, (3) Tony D & Pionk as a starting D. They are all able to handle the puck making our transition game that much more dynamic.

Understand we have to keep Staal because of his salary and I would be fine with him being the extra defender. I really don't want any part of Holden on this team. Berezgalov would be my next defender up. But does he have to go back to the KHL if he isn't on the roster? I remember there was some condition.

13 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

So tempting to keep LA and Chytil.  I think we have two great pieces for the future.

I am very curious to see what happens with these 2. I am not confident in our C rotation at all. They are both so young but LA already looks strong defensively and Chytil showed his creativeness with the puck. At the minimum, they get 9 NHL games before their 1st year contract kicks in.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 12:01 PM, Jetfan66 said:

I really wish we could carry (1) McD & Shatty, (2) Skjei & B Smith, (3) Tony D & Pionk as a starting D. They are all able to handle the puck making our transition game that much more dynamic.

Understand we have to keep Staal because of his salary and I would be fine with him being the extra defender. I really don't want any part of Holden on this team. Berezgalov would be my next defender up. But does he have to go back to the KHL if he isn't on the roster? I remember there was some condition.

Berezgalov has a clause where he can return to the KHL if he's sent down to the AHL.  Would be ideal to have him as the 7th defender if Tony D or Pionk slip up or need a rest.  Vesey hit a wall last year so it's reasonable to think Pionk would need some seasoning.  Love his shot.  Him, Shat and Tony have great shots and can move at the point.  

Roster just about set now.  Lias Andersson is being sent back to Sweden while Filip Chytil looks like he will at least get a 9 game trial.  Thought it would be flipped if anything since Andersson was supposedly more pro ready and Chytil a rawer prospect (though I love Chytil's upside).

On defense, Pionk and Graves were both sent down to the AHL.  With Staal's contract more or less guaranteeing a roster spot, last starting spot seems to be between ADA and Holden.  Feel it would be a waste to keep ADA as a 7th.  I'd like to see a trade with Holden to free up minutes for him, but if they don't feel ADA is ready just yet, they can let him season up while Holden [hopefully] builds up trade value.

Love the decision on the rookies.  Chytil will get 9 games with Fast out and they said if he shows he can stick they will keep him.  Not likely but would be sick he was that good enough this young.  Now with Lias I'm very happy, I think he's pretty worn out and his role would be 3rd/4th line center and not get the right offensive opportunities here, plus I think he's the type of guy who will take this the right way and be motivated to become a top center, even beat out Chytil next year.  Pionk will get plenty of playing time and if Holden gets traded he's an easy call up if there's an injury.  Not shot ADA rides the pine as the 7th.  I truly think Staal and Holden will be held accountable.

Kreider-Zib-Buch/Zucc

Nash-Chytil-Zucc/Buch

Grabner-Hayes-Miller

Vesey-Desharnais-Carey(Fast)

do we have a weakness anywhere? The offense Chytil can put together with either Zucc or Buch and Nash as the finisher has insane potential.  And I think Vesey will be coming out hard to get out of the 4th line and get scoring minutes.  

McD-Shatty

Skjei-Smith

Staal-ADA

besides Staal, who may be decent with limited minutes, again this is a great top 6.  McD not shackled by Girardi, Staal and Holden not getting top minutes, Skjei improving, Skjei and Smith together for a full year, Shatty and ADA on the PP and moving the puck.  So exciting.

Forwards

1. Kreider-Zib-Buch
  2. Grabner-Hayes-Miller
  3. Nash-Chytil-Zucc
  4. Vesey-Desharnais-Carey

Defense

1. McD-Shatty
  2. Skjei-Smith
  3. Staal-ADA

I love the D. I feel the limited minutes will help Staal a lot. Don't love carrying 8 defenders though.

2 Concerns:

• How will our offense look? We finally have offensive minded defensemen everywhere (McD, Shatty, Skjei and ADA are all good to great puck movers). Is Hayes ready for the 2nd line? Can we get consistency from JT and Kreider? How much will Buch and Vesey improve? Is the stage too big for Chytil? Is Fast ready for the 3rd line if not?
  • Will Lundqvist return to form? Last year was tough for him. The preseason wasn't his best either. And for the first time in a while, his backup isn't great. We want to limit his games but its tougher when our alternative is Pavelec.

Early issue is letting guys skate into the zone and just not controlling the puck when we block shots or get the puck in our own zone.

Also what's the point of keeping Chytil if we're never going to play him.  He's not the issue, in fact he drew a penalty that lead to a goal.  If anything it's Hayes that sucks.  Miller will def be #2 C when Fast is back.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had a chance to watch a ton of our games so far, but from what I have seen, we need to play a lot better on the back end.  Too many giveaways and breakdowns in our zone.  

No excuse for us to blow the game tonight.  Having a really rough start to the year.

• 2 weeks later...

If this keeps up much longer, AV is a dead man walking.  I anticipated taking a step back, but we are still too good a team on paper to be playing this bad.  Our defense has not been up to snuff.  We stick with this man-to-man system (that I have never been a fan of) despite having terrible results with it the previous 2 seasons.  It's quite clear we are not suited for it.  Unfortunately, Hank is not an elite goalie anymore (though I think he is still a solid goalie), so he needs more support from the team if we are to be successful.  And having Pavelec as the backup instead of someone like Talbot or Raanta is a big downgrade.

Biggest issue seems to be that we don't come out firing right away and we end up going down early and having to chase the game as a result.  That is no formula for success.