Official New York Rangers Thread

roysmyboy31

Back to back wins.  Another 2 goal game for Rick Nash, who looks to finally have some breaks going his way.  Buch had a 2 point night and the game winner.  They have showed solid chemistry together along with Z.  I've liked the way McDonagh has played lately as well because he had looked a little less than stellar earlier in the season.  Another good game for Hank, especially that big save at the end.  Zucc has had a rough year though.  Hasn't looked like himself.

Pretty embarrassing for AV that Buch gets so little ice time, yet is easily one of our most productive forwards even with such little ice time.  One of many things that annoy me about AV.

Shattenkirk out indefinitely with torn meniscus

Shattenkirk has been playing with a tear in his meniscus since the beginning of the year apparently and it has gotten to the point where surgery is really the only option at this point.  He has had a pretty solid season too and has been an asset to our team.  Certainly a big blow to our D corps.  Anthony DeAngelo has been called up in his place.  The timeline is indefintite, but I would be shocked if he plays again this season having knee surgery.

That game was certainly not fun for a Ranger fan to watch.  Colorado was skating around us all game.  Not too surprising considering half our teams seems to be out injured at this point.  But even then, I don't see any excuse for AV continuing issues with icetime distribution and his insistence on leaning on certain players that don't deserve to.  Buchnevich needs to be playing more often.  Arguably been our best forward this year and AV for some reason won't consistently give him top ice time.  Rolling 4 lines evenly only works when you have the depth to do it.  And though it does not matter now that Shatty is injured, how has Nick Holden gotten first pairing minutes with McD all year and Kampfer gotten consistent playing time all year despite being an average #7/AHL caliber player?  It was ADA's first game in a while and he did not look bad.  I'll live with his rookie errors with his kind of ability over the middling or worse ability of some of our Dmen.

Hank was stellar once again.  Outside of 3 years, he has spent his whole career covering up the flaws of our squad consistently.  We'd probably be in the lower half of the standings without him.  He is playing at such a high level.

This current West Coast swing is pretty important.  Three more tough games coming up against the Cali teams and our already perilous position in the standings can be impacted if we don't play better than we did today.

Managed to salvage something by beating the Sharks last night.  Team has been more or less what I thought it would be.  Our defense is still poor because AV insists on a stupid man-to-man system that results in a lot of blown coverage in the zone and also improper distribution of playing time (this applies to the forwards as well).  If we do go down, I really would like change in the coaching staff.  The roster is not chock full of talent, but I think it ought to be better than it is.

We are on the periphery of the wild card picture right now.  But I find it hard to believe this team as it is constructed can win even one playoff series.  So the idea of selling is something I would entertain if we fall behind a bit.  I feel like Nash and Grabner could net us some nice futures to a team that thinks they can help them make a push.

Hayes seems to have improved a lot this year.  His presence in the lineup last night really seemed to have an impact, especially on JT Miller, who has been struggling.  And I like the skill Anthony DeAngelo has shown to this point.  He needs to stay up for the rest of the year.

Admittedly I haven't watched much of our season so far, but this is confusing to me:

Beyond the rentals, the Rangers are prepared to deal Ryan McDonagh and Mats Zuccarello, both of whom are 2019 free agent-eligible and neither of whom seems likely to get a long-term, pricey extension.

Source: https://nypost.com/2018/01/26/mcdonagh-nash-zuccarello-rangers-are-ready-to-blow-it-up/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPSportsTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow&sr_share=twitter

Last I knew, that would basically equate to getting rid of your best skater and another very good one, hoping you can do better in the future? What?

I have heard those rumors and I certainly disagree with trading both of them (unless it's for a ridiculous package).  Especially McD.  He is a legit #1 Dman and top 15-20 in the entire league IMO.  Guys like that do not grow on trees and I think it would be extremely foolish to give up someone of that caliber.  Guys like him are not easily replaced and I'd be really mad if we traded him.  As for Zucc, he is having a down year, but he is a proven playmaker and a heart and soul type player as well.  I still consider him an important player going forward.

Still not a given we sell at all, especially if we start stringing together some wins.  I really do not want to be in the rental market at all though regardless.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Game last night really sums up a lot of trouble.  Namely our lack of toughness.  Staal and Vesey both get cheapshotted out of the game and we have no response.  I'd be even madder if we were remotely in serious contention.  Really no excuse for it.  And we were dominated otherwise by Nashville.  3 regulation wins in the last 18 games and are now officially in last place in the division.  I thought we would be taking a step back this year, but if we continue at this rate, we're likely to contend for a top 5 draft slot.

With every loss we pile up, it is becoming more and more likely we sell off.  I still don't want to see McD go as I think he is a very important piece and it is not easy at all to replace someone like him, but I am hearing a lot of rumors that we are negotiating with Tampa.  Nash, Grabner, and Holden should be certain trades.  The most important thing is that AV is fired after the season.  On top of his usually rotten roster management skills and crappy system, it now appears he has lost the team.

Only bright side right now is Hank's play and Anthony DeAngelo actually looks pretty solid so far.

I was at that game last night.  Ugly as can be.  There is something wrong with our FO if we don't move on from AV after this year.

Glen Sather and Jeff Gorton came out with a public statement (exceptionally rare for Ranger brass to talk to the media) today which makes it very clear that we are starting a rebuild:

A Message from Glen Sather and Jeff Gorton

As a member of the Blueshirt Faithful, we consider you a part of the New York Rangers family, and always want to ensure we share important news about the organization directly with you. Today, we want to talk to you about the future.

As you know, since the 2005-06 season, we have been a highly competitive team. We have played 129 playoff games, won the Presidents' Trophy, reached the Conference Finals three times, as well as the Stanley Cup Final. While we're proud of all those accomplishments - we didn't reach our ultimate goal of bringing the Stanley Cup back to New York.

So as we do every season, we have been continuously evaluating our team, looking for areas that can be improved to enhance our chances of winning. We began the process of reshaping our team this past summer, when we traded for assets that we believe will help us in the years to come. As we approach the trade deadline later this month and into the summer, we will be focused on adding young, competitive players that combine speed, skill and character. This may mean we lose some familiar faces, guys we all care about and respect. While this is part of the game, it's never easy. Our promise to you is that our plans will be guided by our singular commitment: ensuring we are building the foundation for our next Stanley Cup contender.

There are no fans like Rangers fans. You are passionate, loyal and true. You fill The Garden every night, and we always know there will be a strong showing from RangersTown in every building across the League. We do not take your support for granted. We appreciate that you have always stood by us, and we ask you to remain by our side as we undertake this exciting new chapter filled with promise and change.

We will keep you informed as this process takes shape. Thank you for the incredible loyalty, pride and respect you show to the New York Rangers, each and every day.

Seems like a certainty that some important pieces will be gone.  Nash at the very least (along with Grabner and Holden).  A lot of smoke around McD and some around Zucc.  I'd hate to lose those two, but I am for selling at this point as it is clear this team does not have what it takes to even make the playoffs let alone contend in the playoffs and we have a barren farm to to trading away a lot of high draft picks in recent years.

We also waived Brendan Smith, who just started a 4-year deal.  He has had an absolutely horrendous year.  I can not say it is undeserved, but I do think he is better than he has shown.  AV's man-to-man defensive system really puts a lot of strain on the defense and goaltending.

Nice to see us win tonight for a change.  I thought with McD out that our D might get ripped apart.  Pionk and Gilmour both held up well in their debuts.  Henrik was rock solid after relieving Pavelec in the first period.  Thought Hayes line was the best tonight and Nash also had a good game for himself.  He's raising that trade value with his play over the past month.

Lost to the Isles yet again.  That is certainly annoying.  We may haved put up 50 shots, but very few were remotely difficult for Halak.  Too many unscrewed perimeter shots.

McD officially submitted his 10 team no-trade list.  Between this and holding him out of games for the last 2 weeks, it seems certain they are trying to deal him.  Whoever gets him will be getting a great two-way Dman who can handle top pairing responsibility for this year and next at a bargain $4.7M cap hit.

While I always enjoy winning and hate to lose, I could see where the season was going and the losses do not hurt as much as normal.  In a way, it helps our draft position and more importantly gives the organization less reason to keep AV around (I hope).

Grabner has been traded.  And to the Devils:o.  We receive a 2nd and D prospect Igor Rykov.  2nd and a solid prospect is a solid return for Grabner.  The reviews on Rykov's upside are mixed.  He was a 5th rounder from 2016 and is only 20 years old.  Questionable whether he not he comes over from the KHL.  Plays on the same team as our top goalie prospect, Igor Shestyorkin.

Now Nash is next.

That game against the Habs was garbage throughout (Georgiev aside)