Official New York Rangers Thread

roysmyboy31

We obviously went very D heavy here.  Between these picks and some of the trades we made last year, we have done well to restock our prospect pool in that position.  Really no telling how the later prospects pan out considering how hard it is to hit on players outside of the first couple of picks.  

As for our earlier picks, not sure why we picked a goalie in Round 2.  We are well-stocked there and had an opportunity for other players who might have had a better path to the big club.  Lundqvist still has a few more years aleft and then we have Shestoyorkin, Georgiev, and Halverson.

Lundkvist, aside from having a great name, seems like a worthwhile pick for the late first round.  Seems like a D with a high hockey IQ and he rose in the rankings late in the year.  Could potentially be a solid mid pairing guy.

I am a big fan of the K'Andre Miller pick.  He has incredible skating ability and physical attributes.  He is somewhat raw as he recently converted from forward to defense.  Boom or bust pick which is just fine in the late first round.

As for our big pick, I will admit I am a bit peeved that we passed up on Wahlstrom especially (not to mention Bouchard and Dobson).  The Islanders nabbing Wahlstrom and Dobson pretty much right after us certainly annoyed me more.  That being said, I do like Kravtsov.  He is a very talented player who has a good strong frame for protecting the puck and good puck skills.  Incredible upside with him.  I like the pick overall, but not sure it was the best pick we could have made as there were other players I would have preferred there.  I have heard a lot of comparisons to Evgeny Kuznetsov, which would make me ecstatic if he could turn out the same way.

Really liking the Miller and Lundkvist picks for D and upset we passed on Wahlstrom but at least Kravtsov but at least he has great upside.  Only thing I'm really questioning is the goalie round 2.  We don't need one and we could have tried grabbing a forward we desperately need.

Not including Shatty, Smith and Staal.  This is kind of ridiculous.  And all the RHD are similar players, including Shatty.

LHD             RHD

Skjei            Pionk

Hajek          ADA

Lindrgen    Lundkvist

Miller          Keane

Rykov

Reunanen

Ragnarsson

Crawley

Sjalin

Pedrie

Gilmour

Bigras

O'Gara

Gross

• 9 months later...

Well, we ended up with the 2nd overall pick.  Best thing to happen to us all year.  Outside of Ziby establishing himself as a #1, the only thing to gain from this year is experience for the youngsters.  We'll get either Hughes or Kakko and I am psyched about it.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shattenkirk contract bought out

With our team in a cap crunch, a move like this needed to be made.  That $6M cap hit next year is going to hurt a lot.  IMO, that makes trading Kreider pretty much a formality.  I will miss him if that is the case.

Still a heck of an offseason between Trouba and Fox on D and Kakko and Panarin as Fs.

• 3 months later...

Fun game to be at.  Games like that really show how well our rebuilding phase is going.  We are way ahead of where we were the last two seasons.  Still need more time to grow as a team and some more depth at C, but things have been going well.

Panarin has been as good or better tha I hoped for.  Truly an elite forward in the world today.  Kakko is getting better as he gets more experience.  Just wait until we get Mika back from injury.  D is young, but shows promise.  And with Georgiev and Shestyorkin in the pipeline, we look to be fine at goalie once Hank's contract expires.

• 4 weeks later...

Our rebuild is going very well.  Watching the Rangers last year was a chore most of the time.  Now this year, we are an entertaining, exciting team to watch and have also been pretty competitive in most of our games.  Just closed out the West Coast road trip with 5/8 points.

Panarin has been the elite forward we've been wanting for some time.  He's everything he has shown to be in his previous clubs and has been a huge impact for the team.  With him, Mika, and Kakko, we have some great building blocks at forward.  Only thing really missing is a 2nd line center, but I am hoping that Chytil can eventually grow into that role.  Defensively, we certainly have some growing up to do there.  A work in progress there, but we have good pieces on our team now and in the pipeline.  Trouba has been pretty steady as a top pairing defender.  Young guys will have their growing pains, but they show promise.  And at goalie, we are set now and for the future with Hank, Georgiev, and Shestyorkin, who has looked great in the AHL.  Kravtsov also came back over to the AHL after exercising an option to go to the KHL at the start of the season.

Glad that it is exciting to watch and follow the team again.

• 4 weeks later...

Igor Shestyorkin made his debut tonight and it was a tough one.  The Avs are a very good team.  He got into an early 2-0 hole, but he steadied himself and only allowed one goal afterwards.  Great for him to win in his debut.  The team did well on the PK tonight and helped us get back in the game.  And our offense is a very good unit led by Zibby and the Breadman.  Kakko has been looking better lately too.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a good week with two wins over our hated rivals who also happen to be one of the East's best teams.  Nice to see our future goalie situation is in good hands once Hank's contract expires after next season.  Georgiev and Shesterkin will be a good duo moving forward.  Georgiev had a strong outing tonight.  Special teams made a big difference for us tonight, most notably with the game winner coming on a late PP for us.  I'll miss Kreider when he eventually moves on (we won't be able to afford paying him what he is worth).

• 1 month later...

Shocker.  Chris Kreider is staying after all.  7 year extension with a $6.5M AAV.  I am somewhat concerned about our cap moving forward and how we will fit in some key future players.  It will help getting Hank's and Staal's cap hits off the books soon.  Otherwise, this is fair value for someone of Kreider's ability and I have always been a fan of him and his style of play.

In less fortunate news, Igor Shesterkin suffered fractured ribs as a result of a car accident.  Pavel Buchnevich was a passenger in the vehicle and is day-to-day.  Thankfully, they were not hurt worse.  We will miss Igor's contributions because he has been a stud since starting for us.  It is clear that our future in net tests with him and Georgiev.

Also traded Brady Skjei to Carolina for a 1st round pick.  They also have Toronto's 1st, so it would be whichever pick is worse between Carolina's or Toronto's.  Glad to get that 5.25M cap hit of his off the books.  He is a decent NHLer, but he is a very ordinary player and not something that is hard to replace.  He never progressed a lot after he showed a lot of promise in his rookie year.  That extra cap space can help in re-signing younger guys like Tony DeAngelo.  We will have a hole on the left side for now, but like I said, I don't think Skjei's contribution will be that hard to replace.

So between retaining Kreider, acquiring another first, and freeing up cap space, this was a good day for us IMO.  I would expect this team to contend for the playoffs next year with proper additions/development of youngsters.

• 2 weeks later...

Incredible game from Mika last night.  5 goal game, including the OT game winner.  He has blossomed into a legit top of the line 1C since we've got him.  It has been great to see him grow since we got him and we need to re-sign him as soon as we can.  We flat out stole him from Ottawa.

Three point nights for Panarin and Tony D as well.  And we needed all of those goals too.