Official New York Rangers Thread

roysmyboy31

There's no excuse for dealing McDonagh as far as I'm concerned. Trading away your best player and captain who's 28 years old is not a way to get better. It's like the Seahawks trading away Russell Wilson to rebuild.

There's a difference between rebuilding and burning everything to the ground, including what works.

Hank should retire. And I hope Tampa wins the cup.

I did not love the idea of trading Ryan McDonagh to begin with.  He is a legit #1 Dman and those are hard to come by.  They must have made their mind up that they were not re-signing him after his deal is up.  Guys like him are hard to replace though and there is no guarantee we get someone like him for a while.

And the return was underwhelming.  The pieces are not awful, but are not their top prospects by any stretch and Namestikov is not a great player.  Not to mention we also included JT Miller in the deal.

Even though McDonagh was my favorite Ranger and captain, he was not the right captain for an AV team.  The way AV is hands off we need a vocal leader.  Now I would have loved to move on from AV first, however we all expected McDonagh unleashed with Shattenkirk or anyone not Staal/Girardi.  Did that happen? Nope.  He unfortunately has been pretty beat up the past few years which is affecting him or maybe the captaincy as well.  In my heart it was wrong to move on from our best player but my head is telling me when his contract is up in 2 years and he wants to get paid he's going to be a worn down 30 after multiple injuries and deep playoff runs (see Staal and Girardi).  Those two have killed us falling off a cliff and not resigning Stralman.  The cupboard has been bare and we needed to restock the system.  The two negatives in the trade are giving away Miller and not getting a top flight prospect out of it.  If Miller is that uncoachable I'd like to see him with a new coach.  But the reality is now we have a ton of youth on defense and 3 Center prospects and 3 1st round picks this year.  If we keep losing there's a shot to sneak into the Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina sweepstakes.  If we land top 5 we get Boqvist or Dobson.  Then there's also Wahlstrom and Tkachuk.  We're going to get a great talent plus two later picks.  The future looks exciting.  All the guys we brought in are leaders/captains and if we can fit Spooner and Vlad in our plans that's even better.  Just hope Hank can hold on long enough for Shestorkin to get here and win a cup. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Most fun I have had watching a Ranger game in a while.  Hell of a fight to come back from 2 down to beat the Penguins.  Our team has been fighting and has done better than I thought they would after the sell off.  Zibanejad and Kreider had brilliant games.  Spooner has done great since coming here and Namestnikov has been a solid addition so far.  And Georgiev has looked really nice in the action he has got.  Think he is doing enough to earn the backup job for next year full time.

• 2 weeks later...

We called up Filip Chytil and Lias Andersson, so we will get a good look at them for our remaining games.  Georgiev has looked really good in the games he has gotten and Pionk has done solid as well.  I feel like he has done well enough to warrant being on the top 6 for future years.

• 2 weeks later...

Dreadful season is only 20 minutes away from being over.  Yet another limp effort to end the year.  I really hope this spells the end of AV's coaching tenure here.  Pionk certainly looks like someone worth keeping on the big team for the future and we at least gave Chytil and Andersson some big league experience.  Jeff Gorton and staff will have their work cut out for them to improve this roster and find a more suitable coach for the rebuilding effort.  

For draft lottery purposes, we have currently the 9th worst NHL record.  Can go as high as 7th though.  Chicago and Edmonton could both pass us if they win (not sure how tiebreakers work if one or both manage to get 1 point).

Chicago needs 1 point, Edmonton needs 2 I believe.

It was good to see a lot of the young guys and I'm glad we've at least sealed top 9 pick.  Unless Wahlstrom falls we absolutely need to take the best RHD available.  Good thing is Dobson/Boqvist/Bouchard/Hughes will be there.  Then things get interesting late.  We absolutely need wingers in the system especially a sniper and we can always double dip at RHD with someone like Sandin.  

Lots of rumors AV is gone.  Can't wait we need a new defensive system and new voice.  Henrik has been laid out to dry all season.

Really hope Hajek, Rykov or Lindgren can play next season and Smith deserves a second chance with a real offseason.  Plus healthy Shattenkirk will be good.

Buch and Vesey need to do something.  Vesey misses the net and tries to puck handle way too much.  Buch doesn't shoot.

Lias and Chytil better play next season, I think they are ready.

Namestnikov and Spooner will be good trade bait to move up.  Gorton may trade a 1st for a player like Adam Fox instead of drafting another young guy.

Have not had a chance to look at prospect rankings too much, but we certainly can use more D and wing prospects.  Heck, I would not mind another C prospect if he is clear BPA.  Our organizational depth in general was hit hard by the numerous rentals we made a few years ago.

As long as a new coach has a sound structure defensively and values puck possession more than AV does, that is a step in the right direction.  I believe Buch can still turn out well, he has the skill level.  Vesey, I think what we see is what we will continue to get.

One other thing I was fairly happy about besides the young guys getting time were the seasons by Mika Zibanejad and Kevin Hayes.  Both showed improvement from last year and while I'm not seeing a #1 C in either of them, both are capable 2nd line options and Zib in particular can function as part of a 1A/1B type center similar to what we had with Stepan and Brassard.  Hayes did much better with the added responsibility than I thought he would.

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I posed here, but we hired David Quinn from Boston U to be our new HC.  I do like that we focused on bringing in someone who can work with younger players.  As for the draft, I would like to have one of the top D prospects, namely Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, or Dobson.  Wahlstrom would be a good forward pick too.

• 2 weeks later...

1st round Vitali Kravtsov RW

1st round K'Andre Miller D

1st round Nils Lundkvist D

2nd round Olof Lindbom G

3rd round Jacob Ragnarsson D

3rd round Joey Keane D

4th round Nico Gross D

5th round Lauri Pajuniemi W

6th round Simon Kjellberg D

7th round Riley Hughes W

Those are all our draft picks.