Jordy Nelson and TD's

DocHambone

Jordy Nelson may be (is) the best red zone receiver in the NFL. The amount of TD's he gets by sitting in a hole in the endzone is incredible. So I decided to look at the numbers. Jordy Nelson currently sits at 68 touchdowns, which is good for 2nd in Packers history (Don Hudson at 99). I then looked at the NFL numbers. There are currently 10 players with 100 or more TD receptions for their career. All that are eligible for Canton are in except TO, and he certainly will be soon. The betting man in me believes that Jordy will probably be around that threshold when he retires (2-3 more seasons after this one). We all know Jordy is one of the best receivers to ever wear a Packers jersey, but will he do enough to end up in Canton?

56 minutes ago, DocHambone said:

Jordy Nelson may be (is) the best red zone receiver in the NFL. The amount of TD's he gets by sitting in a hole in the endzone is incredible. So I decided to look at the numbers. Jordy Nelson currently sits at 68 touchdowns, which is good for 2nd in Packers history (Don Hudson at 99). I then looked at the NFL numbers. There are currently 10 players with 100 or more TD receptions for their career. All that are eligible for Canton are in except TO, and he certainly will be soon. The betting man in me believes that Jordy will probably be around that threshold when he retires (2-3 more seasons after this one). We all know Jordy is one of the best receivers to ever wear a Packers jersey, but will he do enough to end up in Canton?

if he puts up a few more years of double digit TD season's he'll have an argument... but thats a tough task even if hes in GB for those years

IMO the issue Jordy will run into when it comes to the PFHoF is that at no point in his career was he considered hands down elite... maybe fringe top 5, but i think you need to consistently be a top 3 guy in order to get Canton recognition. & hes always had a legit few guys in front of him his entire career

on the plus side, hes probably already a shoe in for packers HOF though

I don't think he has the longevity of an elite receiver to get in.  He sat early and didn't put up yards, then had a few great years and if he doesn't get his speed back, he's going to be a possession receiver moving forward.  

Packer Hall of Fame?  You bet.  Canton?  Sorry, love Jordy but that isn't happening.  

20 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't think he has the longevity of an elite receiver to get in.  He sat early and didn't put up yards, then had a few great years and if he doesn't get his speed back, he's going to be a possession receiver moving forward.  

Packer Hall of Fame?  You bet.  Canton?  Sorry, love Jordy but that isn't happening.  

Have to agree with this.  Even if he plays 3-4 more years,  he is likely going to be overshadowed on the national stage by Julio, AB, OBJ, Evans, Green among others.   

He will also have the issue of playing with an all time great QB, unfortunately, that will be held against him.

Missing 2015 was a huge hit on his chances. Would be sitting at ~78 TDs now instead and could have conceivably hit 100 next season based on his TD productivity the last few seasons.

As it is, would need to go like:

2017: 1200 & 15 (age 33)

2018: 1000 & 11 (age 34)

---------------------------------------------contract runs out

2019: 800 & 6 (age 35)

2020: 600 & 5 (age 36)

To hit 100. This would be him top 10 TDs all time and give him a pretty good shot. Would be ~top 30-35 all time in yds.

Another ring would help. Another strong postseason/SB performance would help.

It's feasible, but I wouldn't say *likely*. Another 2 rings would make it far more likely, especially as a significant contributor.

Archived