Games that could work as movies?

KManX89

I know games-to-movies are virtually never good, but what are some you feel could maybe, just maybe work if the filmmakers actually tried and/or cared about the material?

Max Payne has already been tried and failed spectacularly in 2008 under Tom Rothman's Fox. It was a boring mess that had very little to do with the games from a hack director, but there's a fan-made short film on YouTube called Max Payne: Retribution that does a much better job capturing the look and feel of the games and actually has some good ideas sprinkled in there to boot. It's a 45 minute short, but you can tell the ingredients for a good Max Payne movie are there from somebody who actually cares about the source material (it gained a lot of buzz on the internet):

I mean, come on, he's basically the Punisher, it can't be THAT hard to do right from someone who actually cares to do it justice (relative to other games, anyway), which this guy clearly does. I got a bigger feel of the games from the intro than all 100 minutes of the 2008 movie (it certainly helps that this one's not afraid to tackle the game's mature themes; PG-13 Max Payne, seriously? On the other hand, the family flashbacks in this gave me "aww"s.).

Mass Effect is another one that could be decent(-ish?) in the right hands seeing how it's basically Star Trek and Alien(s) rolled into one, though I think that would better lend itself to a TV series.

Edited by KManX89

Dead Space.  I feel Dead Space could spawn a franchise.  They would of course do it wrong.  They would do it terribly, horribly, horrifically wrong, but if Hollywood wasn't full of coke-snorting multi-millionaires out of touch with their audience who have no background in film and have been given their jobs by the former generation, Dead Space could be a great movie.

There will never be a good video game adaptation. 

The game studio, the producer, the director - It's a perfect storm of too many cooks in the kitchen.  There is no possibility for solid artistic license, either.  If they break from what the video game was or did in any way...

Metal Gear Solid, obviously.

Uncharted is coming, but not a fan of Holland as Drake.

Red Dead Redemption

Splinter Cell

Mass Effect would be better as a high budget TV show IMO....like Star Trek but with Game of Thrones production value.  So much to explore.

• Like 1

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

Mass Effect would be better as a high budget TV show IMO....like Star Trek but with Game of Thrones production value.  So much to explore.

Yep, Mass Effect could never work as a movie.  Ever.  But give it The Expanse on Amazon budget and it's going to be a great series. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:
49 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Yep, Mass Effect could never work as a movie.  Ever.  But give it The Expanse on Amazon budget and it's going to be a great series. 

I agree with both of you. Mass Effect is such a character driven show with oodles of great ones you can't flesh them all out well enough in the movie time constraint. 

• Like 1

Others mentioned The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid already.

I think The Legend of Zelda could easily be made into a trilogy. It could work as a limited series as well (3-4 seasons of 8-10 episodes). It's a shame that Nintendo won't do it.

Bloodborne could potentially work as a limited series on HBO. Not sure if they'd get the audience needed though to justify a budget.

4 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think The Legend of Zelda could easily be made into a trilogy. It could work as a limited series as well (3-4 seasons of 8-10 episodes). It's a shame that Nintendo won't do it.

I would not trust TLoZ in a live action format of any kind. That has DBZ Evolutions written all over it. Give Legend of Zelda to Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, the A:TLA boys and let them go. 

• Like 2

SMT: Nocturne. Probably DDS too...though that may be cooler as a series. The main story bones of the persona games would work well, though I think the campiness of the actual character interactions would have to go. 

Bioshock? 

As someone else said, a lot of these are better equipped to be shows with longer and slower burn times. Particularly RPGS where there is already a ton of content.