Games that could work as movies?

KManX89

47 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think you have to do ME1 into 1 season. There are parts of it you could pull for others (like Wrex side story), but I think Season 1 would have to conclude with Saren and then preparing for the Reapers. It sets the tone for the rest of it. 

I don't know if I agree with this. The tone of the story is set shortly after the attack on Eden Prime, and everything is leading up to the eventual Saren v Shepard showdown - that ominous path can be slow played, much like how everyone knew Thanos was at the end of the road for the MCU. Tone varied at times in the MCU, but the payoff was worth it with a drawn out, fleshed out path that built up everyone involved before going into the two part finale.

Also - splitting it up gives us an opportunity to flesh out Saren as an antagonist. For as much as they talk about Saren as a charismatic figure, did we ever see any of that in the game? Saren struggled with his indoctrination, he was conflicted at his core. Could this be investigated over the course of a single season?

Saren is just as much a part of the narrative as everyone on the Normandy, and a narrative should reflect that. He's a villain that should be on par with guys like King Joffrey, Ramsay Bolton, The Governor, Negan - much like those characters, you can't explore their ethos in the span of a few episodes, you've got to build it up for an audience that may (or may not) understand their origin.

• Like 1

I think you milk Saren as much as possible in a ME series. I agree mostly with what you have there @ET80. 7 seasons is a lot to ask for just to get through ME2 lol, but there is so much you kinda have to. I think you have to cut some ME2 squad mates, there are just too many to sustain even in a series. Jacob is unnecessary. Have DLC squad just cameo. As much as it hurts me, I think you have to cut Thane and Samara/Morinth. There arcs don't really effect the greater story. I think you sub out Thane in ME3 for Miranda in the citadel mission and have her die instead. Also if you get to ME3, no Vega. Have Kaiden (or Ashley) join back up earlier in the story instead. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't know if I agree with this. The tone of the story is set shortly after the attack on Eden Prime, and everything is leading up to the eventual Saren v Shepard showdown - that ominous path can be slow played, much like how everyone knew Thanos was at the end of the road for the MCU. Tone varied at times in the MCU, but the payoff was worth it with a drawn out, fleshed out path that built up everyone involved before going into the two part finale.

Also - splitting it up gives us an opportunity to flesh out Saren as an antagonist. For as much as they talk about Saren as a charismatic figure, did we ever see any of that in the game? Saren struggled with his indoctrination, he was conflicted at his core. Could this be investigated over the course of a single season?

Saren is just as much a part of the narrative as everyone on the Normandy, and a narrative should reflect that. He's a villain that should be on par with guys like King Joffrey, Ramsay Bolton, The Governor, Negan - much like those characters, you can't explore their ethos in the span of a few episodes, you've got to build it up for an audience that may (or may not) understand their origin.

Hey, that's fair. agree to disagree. I think your path would be great as well, wouldn't have any complaints from me. I think my concern on my end is from the "slow burn" angle for the casual fan, but maybe it worked okay for like the Witcher too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Hey, that's fair. agree to disagree. I think your path would be great as well, wouldn't have any complaints from me. I think my concern on my end is from the "slow burn" angle for the casual fan, but maybe it worked okay for like the Witcher too. 

I think we'd have a watch party if this ever happened, no matter how they did it. 😁

On 8/3/2020 at 8:56 AM, ET80 said:

I'm thinking you can split 1/2 into three seasons each to really dig into it.

S1 - ME1: Prologue, Exposing Saren, Artemis Tau (Liara joining the crew) Noveria (Liara watches her mom die as Season Finale).

S2 - ME1: Feros, Cerberus foreshadowing with Kohaku, Bring Down the Sky, Virmire (keep Wrex after a "more dramatic" fight between Wrex and Shepard... and death of Ashley as Season Finale?)

S3 - ME1/ME2: Ilos, Citadel/Sovereign, Destruction of SR1 (Shepard gets spaced as the season finale, soft introduction to the Collectors)

S4 - ME2: This is where you get creative. What were the course of events that led to Garrus going to Omega and becoming Archangel? How did Liara start working with the Shadow Broker and Feron? What was the Homecoming like for Wrex and Tali? How were Kaiden/Joker treated by the Alliance? Allow others to get center stage, with a mid-season reveal of Shepard still alive and recovered by Cerberus. Four recruited in season (Mordin, Grunt, Jack, Archangel in season finale).

S5: Horizon mission, Kaiden confrontation, recruiting Samara, Thane, Lair of the Shadow Broker, loyalty missions for everyone currently in crew.

S6: Recruit Tali to open season, Reaper IFF/Legion, Legion loyalty mission, Tali loyalty mission, crew kidnapped, Suicide mission (a few die - nobody gonna miss Jacob) season finale is Arrival (Shepard destroys Batarian colony, surrenders to Alliance).

S7: All of ME3. Changes: Kal Reeger and Capt. Kirrahae join the crew for a few episodes before dying heroic deaths, and Sidonas redeems himself by saving Garrus' family on Palevan.

I'm sure I'm missing a ton of stuff, but this is my original thought...

If there is a ME show, I wish they would take some liberties and maybe deviate from what we saw in the games.

Im not sure Id direct the show to coincide with the games step by step.     Im not saying you cant be true to the characters and the mythos, but I dont really want to see a direct adaptation from the games.

Then again, with the way Hollywood's writing is these days, maybe its for the best we keep them on a set path as opposed to giving them too much creative liberty to destroy what made ME great *cough* Star Wars *cough^.  😏

Edited by 43M

21 minutes ago, 43M said:

Then again, with the way Hollywood's writing is these days, maybe its for the best we keep them on a set path as opposed to giving them too much creative liberty to destroy what made ME great *cough* Star Wars *cough*

Pretty much this. Too much freedom and we'll get a bunch of Canto Blight scenes. 

Take what we know, turn it with a few subtle changes - let the Virmire fight start between Garrus and Wrex, let Saren survive and keep him in captivity for the remainder of the show as a Hannibal Lecter-type, introduce Javik early on (his stasis pod is found in the Shadow Broker's ship?) make EDI have a Luna-esque flip-out that Joker has to talk her out of... there's a ton of meat on the bone to change up, but - unlike TWD or GOT - you don't have to change the narrative entirely. You can add some different pieces, get a fresh story that's recognizable to die hards as well as a new audience.

47 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Saren survive and keep him in captivity for the remainder of the show as a Hannibal Lecter-type

Sidebar - could you imagine a subplot that is "The trial of Saren Arteris for crimes against the Galaxy"?

A sociopolitical journey with Captain Anderson/Counselor Udina investigating the facts of the case, and trying to figure out who is trying to help Saren in this trial? 

Meat on that bone...