CFB Misc News Thread

naptownskinsfan

What I really want is more non-Southern teams winning national titles.

I've proposed that for the inevitable expansion of the CFP to 8 teams, the format be this:

The four highest-ranked teams from the South (as defined by the United States Census Bureau, yes this means Maryland of the Big Ten is classified as a Southern school even though the general area strongly identifies as Northeastern nowadays) in the final CFP poll get seeded 1-4 in the Bowden bracket, named for legendary Florida State coach Bobby Bowden (who coached another current P5 team in the South, West Virginia, before he came to FSU).

The four highest-ranked teams from the rest of the country in the final CFP Poll get seeded 1-4 in the Osborne bracket, named for legendary Nebraska coach Tom Osborne (whose 1993 team lost to Bowden's 1993 Seminoles in the Orange Bowl that season which determined the national championship).

The #1 and #2 seeds in each bracket would nominally serve as the home team in the regional semifinals.

However only 27 current P5 programs (and 2 of my current candidates to become a P5 school in the next realignment) regularly play their home games at a venue seating 65,000 or more, which is the minimum capacity requirement for hosting any game in the CFP.

The other 38 P5 teams (and 8 of my future candidates to join a P5 conference) would all have to host their game at the closest venue which meets the capacity requirements. For some schools, it is as simple as playing in another stadium in the metro area they are located in. On the other hand, some schools would have to venture out of state to host - in one instance, Northwestern, a Chicago-area school, would have to play its CFP home games at Lambeau Field, the home of the Bears' biggest rivals, the Green Bay Packers.

In instances where a team can't use its regular home stadium for the regional semifinals, many things would be done to ensure a home environment for the school.

The current New Year's Six games would all take turns as being the host to the Bowden final and the Osborne final.

This format guarantees that a non-Southern team will make it to the national title game, while at the same time limiting how many Southern teams can actually make the playoff.

Edited by pf9

Furthermore, CFP title games should be awarded to outdoor stadiums in the Midwest and Northeast between the 2024-33 seasons, with the games being awarded to Foxboro, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, East Rutherford, Philadelphia, Landover, and Green Bay - not necessarily in that order.

It would be huge for Cleveland to host a CFP title game. Because of the Browns consistent struggles, FirstEnergy Stadium is the oldest NFL venue never to have hosted an NFL playoff game, nor has it hosted any postseason football above the high school level. In addition, a new minor bowl game would be played in the stadium, pitting a Big Ten team against one from the MAC, called the Lake Erie Bowl (the home of the Akron Zips would also get a bowl game, called the Rubber Bowl, pitting the MAC against the ACC, contingent on the latter adding Cincinnati to make Ohio part of the ACC footprint).

This way, after 20 years, there will be 10 CFP title games played in cold weather and 10 not played in cold weather. Beginning in 2034, the CFP title game would alternate between a non-cold weather venue and a cold weather venue.

Edited by pf9

14 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I was once told I wasn't a "ride or die" (bc that term was just used) OSU fan bc I opted to go to a different school when choosing higher education. I personally never understood it but just wanted to throw that out there. 

The only reason I used "ride or die" is because I couldn't use the phrase "worthy of being an OSU fan" without making fun of the phrase.

Like aww **** I forgot my letter of recommendation! Now I'll never get accepted as an OSU fan! 

• Like 3

I apologize MSR. I've had a rough year. First I had to leave the condo I lived in my entire adult life, which was falling apart.

But I mainly moved out because my dad, who I was taking care of, couldn't handle stairs.

I moved into an apartment, but before January was over, my father passed away.

I had to move again, this time leaving the county I lived in for my entire life for good.

I moved in with my mom and her boyfriend.

By April, I was living in a pandemic, something I thought would never happen.

Numerous other things have happened to me to make this year rough.

I want to change the subject now. The playoff expansion with the format I proposed, as well as hosting CFP title games in cold-weather stadiums would be really progressive of the sport.

2 hours ago, pf9 said:

I want to change the subject now. The playoff expansion with the format I proposed, as well as hosting CFP title games in cold-weather stadiums would be really progressive of the sport.

Progressive how? Progressive =/= change. In what way does it actually make the game better aside from appeasing your hatred of southern teams.

• Like 1

It's not that I hate them, I just don't want them winning the national title every year. There is a difference.

I just want a fair chance for each side of the Mason-Dixon line to produce the national champion.

College football teams can be divided into three regions: The South contains all of the schools located in that region as defined by the Census Bureau. The North contains the teams defined as being located in the Northeast or Midwest by the Census Bureau. The West contains all the schools in the Western US as defined by the Census Bureau.

Sometimes, Northern and Western teams are grouped together.

The West, whose Power 5 reps are all in the Pac-12 at present, has only produced 2 CFP berths in the first 6 years: Oregon in '14 and Washington in '16.

The North has had a team in the CFP every year except 2017, the only all-Southern playoff. Only OSU in '14 ever won a CFP game.

Thus, the South has been the only of the three regions to send multiple teams to one playoff.

When the first CFP title game failed to include any ACC or SEC teams, let alone anywhere else in the South, the CFP committee has made it up to them every year by showing a bias towards the ACC and SEC, and always setting it up so that teams from those conferences could possibly meet in the CFP title game, the only failure since then being in 2017.

I truly believe OSU was the #1 team of the 2019 regular season. Thing is, a non-Southern team has never gotten a #1 seed in the playoff, and not only did the committee want it to keep it that way, but they were fully aware that OSU had never beat Clemson before, and thus thought a Clemson-LSU semifinal would not have been sufficient for them. Thus, they demoted OSU to #1, and promoted LSU to #2.

Their moves worked. OSU blew a 16-point lead against Clemson, and for the third time in a game against, had a game-winning drive curtailed by an interception.

Notre Dame had been blown out by Clemson the year before.

These losses are made worse by the fact that Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence idolizes Peyton Manning, a player I deemed a coward for not joining the Browns in 2012 when he was a free agent, because he didn't want to play in the same division as Ben Rothlisberger. And his decision not to join the Browns came at the worst possible time. OSU was banned from the 2012 postseason, and the Browns needed to step up in 2012, but they couldn't because Manning joined the Broncos, with whom he won Super Bowl 50 (much to my chagrin), instead. Pat Shurmur was fired by the Browns after that season, they still have not made the playoffs since 2002. Shurmur was 9-23 with the Giants (then ironically QB'd by Eli Manning) too, he had a better record with the Eagles than with the Browns or Giants, and he coached the Eagles for only one game.

Up until now I had never shared my feelings about Peyton Manning on this forum.

So, this 8-team playoff format I proposed needs to be adopted. Nobody outside the South that doesn't support teams from the South wants the title game to consist exclusively of Southern teams every year.

Northern teams are dominant at every other level of college football. If I had a son who got scholarship offers from Southern FBS schools but all Northern scholarship offers from from levels below FBS I would force him to play for the FCS or D-II level Northern team if he doesn't want to be disowned by me.

There is also precedent for my proposed format.

Back when only conference champions and independent teams made official NCAA tournaments in any sport, they were usually assigned to a given bracket based on where the school was located.

This isn't practiced as much in D-1 anymore, but it's still very prevalent in the lower NCAA divisions.

6 hours ago, pf9 said:

What I really want is more non-Southern teams winning national titles.

So what you want is for there to be more good teams from the north then. 

If more northern teams would make the playoffs and win against the southern teams, you'd get your wish. 

Rigging the system to exclude the best teams in order to create northern championships doesn't really check out. 

• Like 2

Except Peyton shouldn't be in the Pro Football HOF, out of respect for Browns fans in the Canton area (officially considered Browns territory), as the Browns never beat him. Other enshrinees who regularly got the best of the Browns should be removed, and other players in that category not yet inducted should also be excluded from consideration. I mean if Art Modell isn't inducted why should Peyton be?