CFB Misc News Thread

naptownskinsfan

I like the idea of some other teams being in playoff games. At the same time 12 seems like a lot. It takes away excitement of seeing a big dog get upset once or really even twice in the regular season. They still go to the playoffs. College football is awesome because it’s unique. I don’t care to see another NFL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I like the idea of some other teams being in playoff games. At the same time 12 seems like a lot. It takes away excitement of seeing a big dog get upset once or really even twice in the regular season. They still go to the playoffs. College football is awesome because it’s unique. I don’t care to see another NFL.

true but we could see better OOC games. some programs seem to be afraid if they lose just once, their season could be over. Now those games will be super importsnt for seeding purposes. Also gives us match ups we dont regularly see.

I would have rather saw the top seeds get home games instead of a bye.

If you took these rules back to 2014 when the playoffs started...

Byes: 1 Alabama, 2 Oregon, 3 Florida State, 4 Ohio State
12 Boise State vs 5 Baylor
11 Kansas State vs TCU
10 Arizona vs Mississippi State
Ole Miss vs Michigan State

Byes: Clemson, Alabama, Michigan State, Oklahoma
12 Houston vs Iowa
11 TCU vs Stanford
10 North Carolina vs Ohio State
Florida State vs Notre Dame

Byes: Alabama, Clemson, Washington, Penn State
12 Western Michigan vs Ohio State
11 Florida State vs Michigan
10 Colorado vs Oklahoma
USC vs Wisconsin

Byes: Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio State
12 UCF vs Alabama
11 Washington vs Wisconsin
10 Miami (FL) vs Auburn
Penn State vs USC

Byes: Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State
12 Penn State vs Notre Dame
11 LSU vs Georgia
10 Florida vs Michigan
Washington vs UCF

Byes: LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma
12 Memphis vs Georgia
11 Utah vs Oregon
10 Penn State vs Baylor
Florida vs Wisconsin

Byes: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma
12 Coastal Carolina vs Notre Dame
11 Indiana vs Texas A&M
10 Iowa State vs Florida
Georgia vs Cincinnati

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Bama/Clemson/OSU/OU/UGA forced their hand. This is all about trying to shrink the gap between them and the rest of the field.

I'm assuming it was the prospect of 8 more years of Saban that finally made them snap.

Agreed. How it was set up has created an even larger disparity in the sport. I can see why 12 seems like a lot, but it at least gives more teams a chance of telling kids they can compete in the playoffs.

Under the Mason-Dixon format, the 12-team playoff for 2020 would have been:

Osborne:
1 Ohio State - bye
2 Notre Dame - bye
6 Northwestern at 3 Cincinnati (at Paul Brown Stadium)
5 Indiana at 4 Iowa State (at US Bank Stadium)

Bowden:
1 Alabama - bye
2 Clemson - bye
6 Georgia at 3 Texas A&M
5 Florida at 4 Oklahoma

Edited by pf9
  • Like 2

How difficult can they make this? Lol

Going from a bad format that naturally leaves good teams out (really, 4? Come on. There's 5 major conferences and some of the minors [looking at you, AAC] often have at least a team or two worthy of some consideration) to a format that is way too diluted is asinine. 

I would've been cool with 6, 1 and 2 getting a bye. 

I think 8 is the perfect number as it conceivably accounts for the 5 conferences with room for a couple of close calls (Bama/Georgia type situations) and doesn't likely stonewall the best of the G5 schools. 

12, though, is too much. Even during "good" years, someone between 9 and 12 is a 3-loss team. I can forgive a previously undefeated #3 falling in a conference championship game to a #5 or 6 or something and them squeezing into the 6th, 7th, or 8th seed. But once you get past 8, you've had your chances. 

• Like 3

Even though the expected outcome will happen 90% of the time, that 10% will make for amazing stories and excellent football. Imagine CCU taking out one of the top 4 last year. That would be something talked about for a very long time and also help those coaches, players, and schools in the process.

I absolutely love this idea even though I think 12 is too much. It's a nice even number and easy to do though so I get it.

I can't wait for this to happen. 

• Like 1