CFB Misc News Thread

naptownskinsfan

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I absolutely love this idea even though I think 12 is too much. It's a nice even number and easy to do though so I get it.

I can't wait for this to happen. 

Too much for sure. But I'd rather have too much than the farce we've had every single day. 

In recent years, UCF, Cincinnati, etc. have more than proven that it doesn't matter what they do, they're not cracking a field of 4. People can point to scheduling all they want, but when games are agreed on 10 years in advance, what can honestly be expected? 

A few years back, Bama played USC early (maybe the opener?). When that game was scheduled, it had the look of a showdown. Then came Clay Helton lol. That's USC. Imagine being a UCF or Cincy who can easily go on a 2 or 3 year run but almost never have an outlook past a couple of years. When the committee got formed and the 4 team field was announced, to me it absolutely devalued the ideas they claimed would matter. Strength of schedule? Good luck. Eye test? Hardly. EvErY gAmE cOuNtS? L.O.L. 

With 12, we're probably going to get a team or two with no business being in contention for a variety of reasons. But I'll take that over the thinky veiled shafting of good teams. The Bama-Utah excuse always sounded so hypocritical. Utah tops Bama in a bowl game, "Alabama was disappointed they weren't playing for a national championship". Boise State or UCF or Cincy go undefeated or are one of a very few 1 loss teams and lose to a middling P5 team in a random bowl game, "See! They aren't that good!". 

This should go one of two ways. Either fans rejoice at a real playoff and exciting matchups we don't see all that often, or, get ready for seeing Kentucky and Vanderbilt in the playoffs because "their conference is so hard". 

Can't wait to see how it goes either way.

• Like 1

To me 8 is still the perfect number. 5 conference champs, 3 at large, seeded 1-8. It’s “only” one extra game.

12 screams shameless money grab as a response to having to pay players and keeping them from opting out of “pointless” bowl games.

The 5-12 home field advantage does also grab me hook, line, and sinker though. I’m a sucker for that. 😂 

This could end up being a major turning point day for collegiate athletics. The Supreme Court handed down a decision today saying the NCAA's restriction on education benefits violates antitrust laws. It was unanimous and one Justice in concurring all but said many other restrictions are similarly illegal.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/20-512_gfbh.pdf

Some things to bear in mind.
1) This is not an NIL case so it doesn't resolve that issue but will certainly be influential. 
2) This is also not a case challenging the schools ability to pay players. It is only about restrictions on educational benefits. And interesting one that was discussed is paid posteligibility internships. This is only about schools and conferences can give so the NCAA can still ban, under this decision at least, certain promises from private businesses (I'm not sure where boosters fall). And as the bolded states it was only posteligibility so it's unclear how much that would even effect the top players in the money sports that expect to go pro, or at least hope to. But that category can certainly be a place where some shenanigans happen
3) There is language that can support both challengers and the NCAA in future lawsuits, so it isn't clear. I'm not gonna get nerdy about antitrust law but that is fairly common in antitrust law unless they are engaging in some well defined things that are per se violations. Otherwise judges use what is called the Rule of Reason which is just as vague as it sounds. 
4) However importantly the Court did have some discussion about amateurism and while they didn't say that isn't legitimate it did say "a party can[not] relabel a restraint as a product feature and declare it “immune from §1 scrutiny.” They left some room for how amateurism may effect consumer demand, but this part of the holding will be major in future lawsuits.

Ultimately it is too early to say what effect his will have, but it certainly has the potential to cause a major overhaul in college athletics.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, mse326 said:

This could end up being a major turning point day for collegiate athletics. The Supreme Court handed down a decision today saying the NCAA's restriction on education benefits violates antitrust laws. It was unanimous and one Justice in concurring all but said many other restrictions are similarly illegal.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/20-512_gfbh.pdf

Some things to bear in mind.
1) This is not an NIL case so it doesn't resolve that issue but will certainly be influential. 
2) This is also not a case challenging the schools ability to pay players. It is only about restrictions on educational benefits. And interesting one that was discussed is paid posteligibility internships. This is only about schools and conferences can give so the NCAA can still ban, under this decision at least, certain promises from private businesses (I'm not sure where boosters fall). And as the bolded states it was only posteligibility so it's unclear how much that would even effect the top players in the money sports that expect to go pro, or at least hope to. But that category can certainly be a place where some shenanigans happen
3) There is language that can support both challengers and the NCAA in future lawsuits, so it isn't clear. I'm not gonna get nerdy about antitrust law but that is fairly common in antitrust law unless they are engaging in some well defined things that are per se violations. Otherwise judges use what is called the Rule of Reason which is just as vague as it sounds. 
4) However importantly the Court did have some discussion about amateurism and while they didn't say that isn't legitimate it did say "a party can[not] relabel a restraint as a product feature and declare it “immune from §1 scrutiny.” They left some room for how amateurism may effect consumer demand, but this part of the holding will be major in future lawsuits.

Ultimately it is too early to say what effect his will have, but it certainly has the potential to cause a major overhaul in college athletics.

Yeah, this is definitely a big deal. The NCAA is slowly getting neutered. I would say within a couple years it will be basically abolished. Amateurism is at an end.  

25 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah, this is definitely a big deal. The NCAA is slowly getting neutered. I would say within a couple years it will be basically abolished. Amateurism is at an end.  

Amateurism was at its end years ago, the Supreme Court just stopped the NCAA from dancing on its grave.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-athletics/2021/06/123285/ohio-governor-mike-dewine-to-sign-executive-order-allowing-college-athletes-to-profit-from-name-image-likeness

OHIO GOVERNOR MIKE DEWINE TO SIGN EXECUTIVE ORDER ALLOWING COLLEGE ATHLETES TO PROFIT FROM NAME, IMAGE, LIKENESS

Good for him. I understand that a free education is a lot but majority of these kids won't go pro afterwards so they should be able to make a little extra on the side while they can.