Antonio Brown announces retirement for the second time

AFlaccoSeagulls

On 7/21/2020 at 3:31 PM, ET80 said:

No, he's not. He had a very dominant run, but he's barely top 25 in any specific category, he doesn't have any historic moments to depend on...and his off-the-field behavior ensures he's on the outside.

Only way Antonio Brown gets into the HoF is if he buys a ticket.

I think he still goes in.  He has a really comparable resume to Calvin, who most have going in.  If you have Calvin going in, you almost have to have AB in.  

44 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I think he still goes in.  He has a really comparable resume to Calvin, who most have going in.  If you have Calvin going in, you almost have to have AB in.  

It's the off field stuff that gets him off the invite mostly. Had that not happened and he not found himself on the outside of the league, he'd have a better case.

Had this been a situation such as TO (who was a distraction but had the numbers) or Calvin (who didn't have the numbers but was a model citizen) I'd probably agree. Heck, if he had some signature moments in a Super Bowl, I'd think about it.

In isolation, maybe you can make the case. But look at the list of players he has to beat out in a competition for limited spots
Its just too easy to eliminate Antonio. He will never make it into HOF because the fans always forget how the HOF works: 
They aren't focused on putting guys in, they're focused on keeping them out - and that's what makes it such an incredible honor for the ones who achieve enshrinement

This was always a ploy to get his name out there in the media. No one has mentioned AB in months. Hence, I'm Retiring!  Oh wait, I want to still play 2 days later NFL step up, finish your investigation. This was always his plan.

Edited by Nabbs4u

23 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

They aren't focused on putting guys in, they're focused on keeping them out - and that's what makes it such an incredible honor for the ones who achieve enshrinement

This, right here. 

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

In isolation, maybe you can make the case. But look at the list of players he has to beat out in a competition for limited spots
Its just too easy to eliminate Antonio. He will never make it into HOF because the fans always forget how the HOF works: 

Case in point: Terrell Owens.

With regards to AB, I wish he would stfu. He's such a drama queen. He doesn't deserve a job in the NFL anymore. There is no way he makes the Hall with his continued antics.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

It's the off field stuff that gets him off the invite mostly. Had that not happened and he not found himself on the outside of the league, he'd have a better case.

Had this been a situation such as TO (who was a distraction but had the numbers) or Calvin (who didn't have the numbers but was a model citizen) I'd probably agree. Heck, if he had some signature moments in a Super Bowl, I'd think about it.

Maybe I’m wrong - but I’m pretty sure off the field issues can’t be used/weighed for HOF consideration. Darren Sharper?

47 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Maybe I’m wrong - but I’m pretty sure off the field issues can’t be used/weighed for HOF consideration. 

I think it's ambiguous - there's no set guidelines for HoF consideration, whether it be stats or behavior. Lawrence Taylor is in and he was a huge drug addict and malcontent...but he's the last Defensive player to win an MVP and sort of changed defensive strategy as we know it.

LT is why LTs get paid so much.

52 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Darren Sharper?

He's not in the hall, is he?

55 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Maybe I’m wrong - but I’m pretty sure off the field issues can’t be used/weighed for HOF consideration. Darren Sharper?

Technically, this is accurate. However, this is a situation where it bleeds into the locker room / on field stuff. TO was the same. But he basically was a locker room disruption with his JJSS jealousy, got himself punted off the Raiders....his actions have had NFL related impact. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I think it's ambiguous - there's no set guidelines for HoF consideration, whether it be stats or behavior. Lawrence Taylor is in and he was a huge drug addict and malcontent...but he's the last Defensive player to win an MVP and sort of changed defensive strategy as we know it.

LT is why LTs get paid so much.

He's not in the hall, is he?

No, I just remember there being some backlash about his nomination 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Technically, this is accurate. However, this is a situation where it bleeds into the locker room / on field stuff. TO was the same. But he basically was a locker room disruption with his JJSS jealousy, got himself punted off the Raiders....his actions have had NFL related impact. 

This makes more sense 

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I see what you're saying, but I think you are too focused on bulk/longevity numbers.  Johnson and Brown had/have good enough numbers to get into the Hall of Fame.  Maybe not 1st ballot (although I think Calvin should be), but definitely good enough.

I think most people would agree Torry Holt will make it one day, but he only had 1 more 1,000 yard season than Brown and less touchdowns.  Same with Smith - only 1 more 1,000 yard season and only 6 more touchdowns.  I'd say Brown's peak was better than both of theirs.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_WR.htm

PFR has the average HOF WR at 769 receptions, 11791 receiving yards, and 92 touchdowns.  Brown falls short of that, but only by a little.  If Brown never had another 1,000 yard season in his career but kept playing, I don't think there would be any doubt he'd be in the HOF.  But IMO his numbers as is are good enough when you consider how good his peak was.

I still think there's a chance he gets in, just probably won't be anytime soon when he's eligible.  Maybe like 20-25 years down the road.

EDIT - I'd make the same argument with Julio Jones.  If he retired now he wouldn't get to tack on any bulk numbers, but at the end of the day he's undoubtedly gonna be a Hall of Famer.  I think some guys have such a good peak that it's all they need.

Edited by iknowcool

WHO IS ANTONIO BROWN? Has he played recently? no ehh hes back to a nobody...hope it hits him hard when he gets old...biggest mistake ive seen from a athlete in a longgggg time...at least barry and mark doing steroids made mlb fun again...