TOP 10 Blue Blood Programs

Texansfan713

Im seeing this discussed on twitter and wanted to make a thread about it.  In no order what are your top 10 blue blood programs.  FYI Nebraska is not on my list.  I seen people say they are.  They WERE a blue blood program.  They haven't been relevant in years.

1.  Bama

2. Texas

3. Notre Dame

4.  LSU

5. Florida

6.  USC

7. Oklahoma

8.  Ohio St.

9.  Michigan

10.  Clemson

12 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Im seeing this discussed on twitter and wanted to make a thread about it.  In no order what are your top 10 blue blood programs.  FYI Nebraska is not on my list.  I seen people say they are.  They WERE a blue blood program.  They haven't been relevant in years.

1.  Bama

2. Texas

3. Notre Dame

4.  LSU

5. Florida

6.  USC

7. Oklahoma

8.  Ohio St.

9.  Michigan

10.  Clemson

Interesting topic idea. To start it off HOT, I like how there is the bolded, and then you have Texas #2. That has probably begun to change, but... 

• Like 7

Tried to do it in order too. 

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Oklahoma

4. Notre Dame

5. Southern Cal

6. Michigan

7. LSU

8. Texas 

9. Penn State

10. Tennessee

HM: Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Nebraska

That was pretty tough. I'm with you keeping Nebraska out, but it was close. Otherwise I have, what, 8 of the same Top 10? Make sense. 

I could easily interchange a lot of these and be fine with it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

1.  Bama

2. Texas

3. Notre Dame

4.  LSU

5. Florida

6.  USC

7. Oklahoma

8.  Ohio St.

9.  Michigan

10.  Clemson

There is no such thing. Nebraska IS and ALWAYS will be a blue blood program. That doesn't go away because you haven't won anything. Blue Blood means a historically great program, Nebraska is that. Indiana and UCLA in college bball haven't won anything in decades but they are still blue blood programs.

Regarding the rest of your list LSU, Florida are not blue blood programs. They are what I would call 'new' blood programs. Successful within the last 30 years but not before that. Clemson, Florida St, The U also fit into that category.

To me these are the core blue blood college fball programs:

Michigan
Alabama
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Nebraska
USC
Texas

Edited by bootsy
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, bootsy said:

There is no such thing. Nebraska IS and ALWAYS will be a blue blood program. That doesn't go away because you haven't won anything. Blue Blood means a historically great program, Nebraska is that. Indiana and UCLA in college bball haven't won anything in decades but they are still blue blood programs.

Regarding the rest of your list LSU, Florida are not blue blood programs. They are what I would call 'new' blood programs. Successful within the last 30 years but not before that. Clemson, Florida St, The U also fit into that category.

Michigan
Alabama
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Nebraska
USC
Texas

Interesting post.  How long would a period of being “down” would count for dropping someone off the blue blood list?  On the flip side, how much success would it take a school to earn a spot on it?  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bootsy said:

Michigan
Alabama
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Nebraska
USC
Texas

I mean if we are going to use that type of criteria, wouldn't Army be considered a blue blood?  

13 hours ago, bootsy said:

Michigan
Alabama
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Nebraska
USC
Texas

Is a decade for Nebraska over Miami really the difference between "blue" and "new"? Nebraska started prominence 50ish years ago, Miami 40. I don't think the distinction is that clear.

LSU is also close if not there. A few pre AP era championships (by at least 1 organization), another in 50's, really exploded in 2000s. In between though still several top 10 and top 25 finishes not too different than the 70s and 80s Longhorns. Texas was getting conference championships because they didn't have the same competition. They didn't have the same success early as these guys did, but they've always been there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raves said:

I mean if we are going to use that type of criteria, wouldn't Army be considered a blue blood?  

Army maybe not. Princeton Yale and Harvard though? Princeton and Yale still sit a top the table of national championships by at least one major selector;)

In more seriousness though, Minnesota is the one that becomes an interesting debate with that strict definition.