SS: Landon Collins
CB: Darius Slay
NB: Kenny Moore II
Sub Pass Rusher: Montez Sweat

K: Harrison Butker 
P: Johnny Hekker 
R: Antonio Gibson

QB: mike23

- Tough call here as Jackson brings a dynamic to the field unlike any other QB, that said Wilson has the hardware and does so many things well with a somewhat questionable surrounding cast.

RB: mike23

- Despite what I believe are some questionable work habits it's hard to knock Zeke's production. Love Kamara pick, not so much the Gordon one. MGIII is a very mediocre RB imo.  Drake also gives big push to mike23 here as well.

WR/TE: naptown

- Green's health is a legitimate concern here. 

OL: Push

- Not a clear cut winner here imo 

DL: mike23

- Don't think I see Cam Jordan working well as an OLB so that limits some scheme options here. Otherwise I like both units in general. Curious to see if Barrett comes close to matching last season's production going forward.

LB: mike 23

- Needs to spell better. Jaylon Smith....not Jaylen.

DB: naptown

- Biggest strength for both teams, excellent CBs with solid safety play. I'll give an edge going to nap for safeties.

ST: naptown

- I'd have taken the other Cowboys kicker, Forbath over Zuerlein. Butler/Hekkar combo is best in this particular league

Verdict: naptown

Edited by WizardHawk

I just started to write up an entire breakdown because I thought I had an idea of how this is whole thing was supposed to go but now I'm unsure after catching @WizardHawk post in the middle of it.  I'm confused. 

Is this just based on who has better players at each individual position/unit or what?  

I thought this was supposed be based on how one team matches up with the other if they played, hypothetically? 

Well I guess until I get confirmation I'm rolling with the latter and this is the format that I'm using to judge it on. 

Team 1 vs Team 2
Blocking vs Front 7 = 
Passing game vs Pass defense = 
Running game vs Run defense = 

Team 2 vs Team 1
Blocking vs Front 7 = 
Passing game vs Pass defense = 
Running game vs Run defense = 

K/P vs K/P =
Returners vs Returners =  

==============

I personally question whether or not LJ can repeat his performance from last year and maintain that level of play but I certainly get the appeal and I can't argue with the results. Pairing LJ with Kamara is an excellent fit and having Melvin Gordon as a short yardage/goal line back is only icing. That would be a great match for a RPO type system and very tough unit to stop in the run game.

Mike23's lack of pass rush against naptowns OL may give LJ's receivers all of the time in the world to get open but I like Mike's secondary and ILBers (David is so underrated) against naptowns skill position players as a whole and I wouldn't feel confident about OBJ, Moore, Cook, and aging Edelman to get open against David, Tre White, Jaire, Eddie, and Budda....no matte how much time they have. 

If I were Mike23, I would have started Chase Daniels over Barrett because IMO he was not as good of a pass rusher as his stats indicated last year. He benefited largely from Todd Bowles heavy blitz scheme, his supporting cast and from Vita vea's (criminally underrated) pressure up-front --who just happens to be naptowns starting NT.  I'm starting Chase over Barrett and not thinking twice. This would've helped tip the balance. 

On the flip side, Wilson with of those weapons would be deadly against naptowns secondary but only if Wilson has enough time to throw and I don't think he does with that OL against naptowns front-7. Likewise for the run game. Zeke is good but not THAT good.

No offense Mike23, I loved the Wilson pick and I like the tools you surrounded him with at the skill positions but I feel like you sold-out the OL instead of balancing it out a little better. 

Wilson is the epitome of consistency, despite not working with much help at times, and is seemingly getting better every year. A veteran QB with his level of consistency probably makes him the safest pick in the NFL at QB because even if you don't get the supporting skill position players that you are hoping for later on in the draft, you at least know that you have a QB who can make lemonade from lemons. 

You paired Wilson with a hobbling (but very good) AJ Green, a rising star in Mclaurin (who would do damage with a QB like Wilson throwing to him), a blazer in Chark who is still trying to find his footing and, IMO, the 2nd best RB in Zeke....and all that is great. But a QB is only as good as his offensive line in most cases and OTs Taylor and James stand no chance against Viat and Lavonte in the middle with Cam Jordan and Z Smith on the edges.

@mike23md
Blocking vs Front 7 = Naptown
Passing game vs Pass defense = mike23md
Running game vs Run defense = Naptown

@naptownskinsfan
Blocking vs Front 7 = Naptown
Passing game vs Pass defense = mike23md
Running game vs Run defense = Naptown

Special Teams
P/K vs P/K = Naptown
Retuners vs Returners = mike23md.
***I don't know enough about Antonio Gibson as a returner to judge him***. 

naptowns wins 5-3. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 4:08 PM, WizardHawk said:

QB: mike23

- Tough call here as Jackson brings a dynamic to the field unlike any other QB, that said Wilson has the hardware and does so many things well with a somewhat questionable surrounding cast.

RB: mike23

- Despite what I believe are some questionable work habits it's hard to knock Zeke's production. Love Kamara pick, not so much the Gordon one. MGIII is a very mediocre RB imo.  Drake also gives big push to mike23 here as well.

WR/TE: naptown

- Green's health is a legitimate concern here. 

OL: Push

- Not a clear cut winner here imo 

DL: mike23

- Don't think I see Cam Jordan working well as an OLB so that limits some scheme options here. Otherwise I like both units in general. Curious to see if Barrett comes close to matching last season's production going forward.

LB: mike 23

- Needs to spell better. Jaylon Smith....not Jaylen.

DB: naptown

- Biggest strength for both teams, excellent CBs with solid safety play. I'll give an edge going to nap for safeties.

ST: naptown

- I'd have taken the other Cowboys kicker, Forbath over Zuerlein. Butler/Hekkar combo is best in this particular league

Verdict: naptown

Wait a minute, So I win 4-3 on categories and we push on OL, yet Naptown gets the verdict? What is the heavily weighted position? ST's?

• Like 1

I'm having a hard time seeing how Mike23md didn't win this one.  naptownskinsfan has a clear advantage in the secondary.  I would also give him the edge at the receiver position but only because AJ Green is coming off injury and we don't know if he will return to prior form.  Chark and McLaurin are coming off stellar rookie years and neither of them had a QB like Wilson making plays.  The formula of Wilson with a strong run game is a proven playoff success.  I don't love the 3-4 front against Mike23md offense.  

• Like 1