Bears Must Cut Ten Players Before Next Tuesday

soulman

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Knowing Snyder it might be beer past it's expiration date, so if you are OK with that, deal!

Seems fair.  Shaheen may be beyond his as well at least as far as his future in Chicago.

He's never been able to stay healthy so it's been hard to tell if he's just a late bloomer or a kid who should be wearing a pair of bloomers. 😁

On 7/23/2020 at 8:34 AM, Damikeeeee said:

I'd laugh if we cut 10 TEs.  

(Not meant as a criticism of your post - you just referenced the 10 TEs)

The whole excessive TE narrative is just lazy reporting to me. After Braunecker we have 8 TEs on our roster. 7 other teams (TB, WSH, DEN, SEA, CIN, NYG, IND) have 7 TEs, and 11 more (NE, LV, LAC, LAR, DAL, BUF, CLE, TEN, JAX, AZ, CAR) have 6. That’s more than half the league. Outside of TB and LAR I’d say that all of those teams have a noteworthy need at TE2 at minimum, and about half have questionable or worse TE1 players short and/or long term given their current roster makeup. Attacking significant needs with volume is normal. Guys 70-90 on the roster in the offseason are guys where you hope to find a diamond in the rough - why shouldn’t we go heavy in hopes of that at the position on the roster outside of QB where we could most use that?

Pace deserves plenty of criticism but his penchant for attacking need areas with a volume approach really isn’t one of them IMO. His decisions on where to use the volume approach, however, is certainly deserving of criticism.

Of note, what the Bears put out as their public roster under Pace is not necessarily what they view as their actual roster. The team is slow to announce roster moves all the time. Specifically regarding Braunecker, I saw a tweet yesterday after the release was made public where his fiancé commented that they’ve known he was being released for so long that they don’t even have a place in Chicago anymore.

I don’t doubt at all that this may be the case with Shaheen as well. Hell, they signed an experienced vet at his position for big money, then used their top pick to draft their future starter and still have the guys who were getting reps over him and/or replaced him post-injury last year. If ever writing was on the wall for a guy... I suspect the only reason he’s still on the roster is because his athletic profile suggests that a desperate team COULD throw us a conditional 7th round pick 2 years down the road for a desperation flyer on him where Braunecker doesn’t have that profile. There’s at least a non-zero chance that out of town stupid benefits us with Shaheen. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I suspect the only reason he’s still on the roster is because his athletic profile suggests that a desperate team COULD throw us a conditional 7th round pick 2 years down the road for a desperation flyer on him where Braunecker doesn’t have that profile. There’s at least a non-zero chance that out of town stupid benefits us with Shaheen

I had a similar thought whereas with Braunecker we've essentially replaced him so this gives him at least some chance of latching on somewhere else.

Nine more potential cuts; https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/24/9-chicago-bears-players-that-are-unlikely-to-survive-pre-training-camp-cuts/

Kentrell Brice - S (released)

Darion Clark - TE

Dieter Eiselen - OG

Thomas Ives - WR

Michael Joseph - CB

LaCale London - LB

Trevon McSwain - DL

Eric Saubert - TE

Alex Wesley - WR (released)

Devante Bond - LB (released)

Edited by soulman
UPDATE

Shaheen TRADED to Dolphins for a conditional 6th...

Rather shocked we got anything for him. *EDIT, though to be fair, we likely still aren't getting anything for him... not sure what the qualifiers are to earn that pick*

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Shaheen TRADED to Dolphins for a conditional 6th...

Rather shocked we got anything for him. *EDIT, though to be fair, we likely still aren't getting anything for him... not sure what the qualifiers are to earn that pick*

Good job by Pace. In order to get that pick, Shaheen needs to meet the conditions that they agreed on. This is usually based on a set percentage of snaps &/or games. 

The Dolphins only have Mike Gieski (sp) at TE so he'll have a good chance of reaching those conditions IF (I know, big IF) he can stay healthy.  

On 7/24/2020 at 10:23 AM, AZBearsFan said:

I suspect the only reason he’s still on the roster is because his athletic profile suggests that a desperate team COULD throw us a conditional 7th round pick 2 years down the road for a desperation flyer on him where Braunecker doesn’t have that profile. There’s at least a non-zero chance that out of town stupid benefits us with Shaheen. 

🤷‍♂️😂

• Like 1