Training camp news

Pastor Dillon

We have our entire draft class signed now. They have all reported. 

I know that BOB normally doesn’t trust rookies, and with the off season we’ve had, it might be impossible for them to be ready to go but on the flip side, any rookie who shows up in great shape and has memorized the play book Will make an amazing first impression this year. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Are we even having a training camp yet? I’ve not heard any news except a few roster moves. 

Every team has a five day wait period while the roster and staff gets cleared from Covid, I think. Action will start next week, I think.

20 hours ago, ET80 said:

Every team has a five day wait period while the roster and staff gets cleared from Covid, I think. Action will start next week, I think.

Yup, they literally come in only to get tested in the parking lot the first 3 days. If they test negative on those 3 consecutive days then they get cleared to come into the facility. 

• Like 1

Conley and Cole are on the PUP list. I guess Cole still recovering from ACL and Conley has ankle surgery this off season. 

hopefully Conley will be full strength soon because we need him at 1000% to have any chance this season. 

for once I’d love for us to hit on a later round rookie, and see Reid come out and win a starting job or see a guy who ranked as a rookie take a huge 2nd year leap like Johnson. 

8 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We have a game 5 weeks from tomorrow and I’ve not heard a peep about anything football related. 

I'm fairly certain there won't be football this season... It's a logistical nightmare trying to coordinate an entire football game in these conditions. 

Try as they might, there's no safe way to do it.

Seems like the MLB has gotten their outbreak semi under control. 

Their problem and hopefully the NFL will notice and pivot is that team hotels for visiting teams are still populated with other guests. One player mentioned going down stairs for ice and seeing a huge wedding happening. You have to reserve the hotel for just that certain team for the weekend or that Saturday night at least.

There is camp going on but the reason why you’re not seeing it is because media is severely limited for in person viewing. I forgot how many McClain said we’re aloud to watch from the press box, but it was only a handful iirc

Im not sure they start on time, but the elimination of preseason does nothing for the top half of your roster/your vets. The only ones it truly hurts are the lower round rookies/UDFA where a league like the XFL(thank you the Rock) will benefit playing in a spring league. 

The first game or so will be sloppier but the product will be fine by mid season and come playoff time. 

They will start the season, but I doubt it gets finished. The NBA which has the closest amount of physical contact has the best setup with smaller rosters and being able to bubble at Disney. Like ET said, there’s a lot of moving pieces in the NFL and they’re not in a bubble.

I heard comments from David Johnson and Brandin Cooks today. I like both of their personalities, think they mesh well with our current team/staff. Good additions overall (if you forget about the cost, admittedly).

JJ Watt said he's been working out non-stop this off-season, simply because there was nothing else to do. His annual "best shape of my life" comment was mentioned, as expected. It would be nice to get a healthy Watt, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I heard comments from David Johnson and Brandin Cooks today. I like both of their personalities, think they mesh well with our current team/staff. Good additions overall (if you forget about the cost, admittedly).

JJ Watt said he's been working out non-stop this off-season, simply because there was nothing else to do. His annual "best shape of my life" comment was mentioned, as expected. It would be nice to get a healthy Watt, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

There was an article about how David Johnson spaces out during zoom meetings. 

but let’s be real about something. Peek David Johnson plus a 2nd round pick is fair value for Hopkins. My thought is that Johnson will never be peek again, but if he was, The trade won’t look so bad. 

Listening to Tim Kelly talk a couple days ago was like night and day from last off-season when we was named “OC”

A lot more relaxed and have some good insight about his plans for the O. Really likes the mismatches our RBs and WRs are going to create and I’m excited. I think OB has to take a step back from the O as he’s now HC/GM. Especially when Watson’s makes comments about OB not being in meetings and stuff throughout the week but then being the play caller on Sundays.   

18 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Listening to Tim Kelly talk a couple days ago was like night and day from last off-season when we was named “OC”

A lot more relaxed and have some good insight about his plans for the O. Really likes the mismatches our RBs and WRs are going to create and I’m excited. I think OB has to take a step back from the O as he’s now HC/GM. Especially when Watson’s makes comments about OB not being in meetings and stuff throughout the week but then being the play caller on Sundays.   

BOB has proven he can’t be both the HC and OC. I’m hopeful that he’s gonna get better with things like challenges, 4th downs, time outs, and the little things he sucks at normally now that he’s not calling plays. 

but let’s not forget the last time he gave up play calling, he took it back after like 3 games of struggles. We play KC and Baltimore the first 2 weeks, so I wouldn’t be shocked if we lose both and he takes over. 

13 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

but let’s not forget the last time he gave up play calling, he took it back after like 3 games of struggles

This. I can't see BoB going 16 games without pulling the offense back to what he wants to call, unless Easterby or Cal steps in (which I don't think they would).