Sign in to follow this  
Pastor Dillon

Training camp news

2 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

The only thing we can hope for is Kelly comes out firing and we hang 30+ on KC week 1 

As long as the defense doesn't give up 40+, we should be good.

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

As long as the defense doesn't give up 40+, we should be good.

I’m pretty excited to see what Weave brings to the table. We have some solid pieces on that side of the ball, but certain aspects of the game had passed RAC 

3 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

I’m pretty excited to see what Weave brings to the table. We have some solid pieces on that side of the ball, but certain aspects of the game had passed RAC 

Weaver isn’t gonna be any better than RAC. I expect a bottom 10 defense 

13 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Weaver isn’t gonna be any better than RAC. I expect a bottom 10 defense 

I don't know. I think Weaver is going to be fantastic - maybe not as a Texans coordinator, but he's going to be a great coach.

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't know. I think Weaver is going to be fantastic - maybe not as a Texans coordinator, but he's going to be a great coach.

Indeed, he wont be here long. I give it 1, or 2 years max

Pastor I know you mentioned no seeing or hearing anything from camp and remembered the first like 2-3 weeks was just conditioning and what not. Lite position drills and lite throwing. 

6 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Indeed, he wont be here long. I give it 1, or 2 years max

Pastor I know you mentioned no seeing or hearing anything from camp and remembered the first like 2-3 weeks was just conditioning and what not. Lite position drills and lite throwing. 

I just saw that we are only allowed 14 padded practices and they can’t start until August 14th. That’s crazy. 

23 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I just saw that we are only allowed 14 padded practices and they can’t start until August 14th. That’s crazy. 

Padded practices are BS. These guys are professionals and don’t need much to get geared up for games. And the risk of full game contact in a practice setting doesn’t make sense to take. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Padded practices are BS. These guys are professionals and don’t need much to get geared up for games. And the risk of full game contact in a practice setting doesn’t make sense to take. 

Some timing might be off - specifically for the new guys and Watson - but this is pretty spot on. Training Camp is really for the bottom end of the roster, guys who are trying to prove they belong or guys who are trying to improve on that bottom end by refining technique.

It would be big for a guy like Tytus Howard, so he could recover with his knee and refine on a good start - so this could be a concern to keep and eye on. I wouldn't be surprised if Max Scharping is kicked over to RT with Howard kicked inside to G - both have in-game experience at both spots, and at this point, you have to trust a healthy Scharping protecting on an island at T than you would on Howard who is still recovering in some capacity. 

I'm confident the key guys (Watson, Watt, Tunsil, Martin, Cunningham, Reid, McKinney) need a day or so of contact and they'll be ready to go shortly afterwards.

PJ Hall signing with the Texans after getting cut by Las Vegas - former 2nd rounder from Sam Houston State.

@lumberjackchris - you probably saw your share of Hall in the Battle of the Piney Woods. Any insight on him? His scouting report has him as an athletic freak of nature (36x225, 4.7 40yd, 38 inch vertical at 310 - holy Moses that's really good).

I'm skeptical on him, given he was cut so early in TC; He was out of shape and publicly called out by Gruden and Mayock last off-season for it, so I don't know if he's going to be a reliable professional. The pedigree was 2nd round, but the performance has him on his 2nd team before his rookie deal was up.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

PJ Hall signing with the Texans after getting cut by Las Vegas - former 2nd rounder from Sam Houston State.

@lumberjackchris - you probably saw your share of Hall in the Battle of the Piney Woods. Any insight on him? His scouting report has him as an athletic freak of nature (36x225, 4.7 40yd, 38 inch vertical at 310 - holy Moses that's really good).

I'm skeptical on him, given he was cut so early in TC; He was out of shape and publicly called out by Gruden and Mayock last off-season for it, so I don't know if he's going to be a reliable professional. The pedigree was 2nd round, but the performance has him on his 2nd team before his rookie deal was up.

I really wanted him in the draft and couldn't believe when he went in the 2nd to Raiders (way too early).

I think if he were drafted later, the Raiders wouldn't have expected so much from him.

This kid - as you pointed out - has the physical tools to be a monster.

With Weaver and Watt coaching him up and - hopefully - motivating him, we should have added another great pass rusher.

I cannot tell you how excited I am for this signing!

I was bummed when I saw he was headed to Vikes for a 7th and when he failed the physical, I was like come on home to TX!!!

Good stuff!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

Maaaaan, I went to the first battle of the piney woods that was held in Houston at NRG and we got rick roled by Sam. Never been back since. Our football team is trash, although I love the new guy they just brought in from the D2 level. If we hadn’t just got NCAA sanctions for improper grade reporting and gpa requirements I think he would have gotten the program turned around quick. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

First day in pads today!! As a coach this is seriously like Christmas!

BoB is getting interviewed on 610. He's really trying to sell up the WR group...

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

BoB is getting interviewed on 610. He's really trying to sell up the WR group...

The WR group is a really good group. Its just that we got rid of Hopkins and it sours all of us on it. Just looking at it:

Fuller is 26, and when he's healthy, hes a number 1 receiving option. He posted 670 yards last year despite missing 5 games

Cooks is 26, and has posted 1,000 yards in 4 of the past 5 seasons, only missing 2 games the last 5 years. 

Cobb is 30, and posted 828 yards last year

Stills is 28, and has posted an average of 14 yards per catch every season in the league, averaging over 500 yards a season

There isn't many teams with a WR core this good. There are health concerns for sure, but the talent of the group is something to get excited about. We can really spread the field well, and our offensive line should be one of the best in pass protection that the texans have ever had. Plus our QB....you don't have to try hard to sell this group.

It just stings that we have Cooks instead of Hopkins.