Sign in to follow this  
Pastor Dillon

Training camp news

2 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The WR group is a really good group. Its just that we got rid of Hopkins and it sours all of us on it. Just looking at it:

Fuller is 26, and when he's healthy, hes a number 1 receiving option. He posted 670 yards last year despite missing 5 games

Cooks is 26, and has posted 1,000 yards in 4 of the past 5 seasons, only missing 2 games the last 5 years. 

Cobb is 30, and posted 828 yards last year

Stills is 28, and has posted an average of 14 yards per catch every season in the league, averaging over 500 yards a season

There isn't many teams with a WR core this good. There are health concerns for sure, but the talent of the group is something to get excited about. We can really spread the field well, and our offensive line should be one of the best in pass protection that the texans have ever had. Plus our QB....you don't have to try hard to sell this group.

It just stings that we have Cooks instead of Hopkins. 

I'll acknowledge it is a speedy group that will be tough to defend when all guys are out there going full tilt. It has the potential to be exciting.

But potential isn't really worth much. Production is what matters - we'll see if this group can stay off the injured list to produce.

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'll acknowledge it is a speedy group that will be tough to defend when all guys are out there going full tilt. It has the potential to be exciting.

But potential isn't really worth much. Production is what matters - we'll see if this group can stay off the injured list to produce.

I think we will be better and these guys fit DW’s style of play better. I loved Hop but he’s close to being a glorified possession WR. Yes he’s clutch and catches everything thrown his way, but having speed around to stretch the field, then utilize the TEs underneath or the RBs  out of the backfield.

Hop being as great as he was and with the franchise the longest on the offensive side he was going to looked to as the leader of the offense. We’re clearly shifting that focus to DW so I can see why we trade Hop. Along with his contact demands. The perception from the public is that we got the short end of the trade. But the WR position across the NFL has changed over to the speedier/shiftier guys. Hop is clearly not that and what little speed he has will slowly dwindle. Sure he’ll be fine because he’s a great route runner. But just like the Clowney situation where we thought we got robbed. The public perception doesn’t always match the actual representation of what NFL personal people think of him. Now Clowney who thought he was going to break the bank is now still unsigned. Maybe Hop was in the same boat.

8 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Duke Edjufor tore his ACL earlier this week....sucks for the kid but he’s made of glass

That sucks - you have to think that's the end of Duke's career. Back to back leg injuries is bad for an established starter, let alone a fringe guy at 100% health. 

Jonathan Greenard will probably get snaps out of this.

Sean Pendergast was sharing some of his observations from day 1 of pads, and he came away impressed with David Johnson - he said he looked fast to the hole, cut well and had some pop when finishing his runs. He cut an imposing figure at 6' 2" 230, moving that fast...

One thing I'll give BoB credit for - he always manages to cobble together a pretty good run game. Whether it's Arian Foster, Lamar Miller, Carlos Hyde - heck even Jonathan Grimes, the Texans have always had a very good run game. Granted, I'd rather have Hopkins - but if David Johnson looks good, I might not be as mad as I once was.

(I'll still be mad...)

37 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Sean Pendergast was sharing some of his observations from day 1 of pads, and he came away impressed with David Johnson - he said he looked fast to the hole, cut well and had some pop when finishing his runs. He cut an imposing figure at 6' 2" 230, moving that fast...

One thing I'll give BoB credit for - he always manages to cobble together a pretty good run game. Whether it's Arian Foster, Lamar Miller, Carlos Hyde - heck even Jonathan Grimes, the Texans have always had a very good run game. Granted, I'd rather have Hopkins - but if David Johnson looks good, I might not be as mad as I once was.

(I'll still be mad...)

Also said the vibe around the defense seemed different than years past (peppy) for what it’s worth. 

I’m all for Greenard getting situational reps to ease him in. Everything I’ve read about him tells me he will hit the ground running unlike most rookies. His DC a Florida is a former NFL DC and runs a NFL type scheme with the verbiage and same responsibilities.

• Like 1

Sucks about Ejiofor but didn’t he rupture the Achilles last year? That’s nearly a career ending injury itself, so I was never high on him. 

greenard to me is the hope for a break out rookie. He could be a starter for years at OLB/DE

How wild would it be if the team added Jadevion Clowney to replace Duke Edjifor?

I understand it 100% wouldn't happen, but Clowney back on a one year deal would basically mean we got Conley and Martin for free...

6 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Word is we are working towards extensions for Watson and Cunningham before week 1 

There were a few renegotiations - Angelo Blackson, Zach Fulton and Senio Kelemete - and that cleared up about $8mm (I could see Fulton/Kelemete as "renegotiate or we'll cut you" discussions).

I'm pretty certain both deals will be announced before the KC trip.

The more money we could front load that big watson deal with the better. The last thing we want are 45-50 million cap hits in years 3-5. If we can spread it out more and take some hit this year and next, we can possibly keep the cap hit from ever going over 40. 

idk what Cunningham’s contract is gonna look like, but I doubt we can afford to keep McKinney without doing something different. That’s just too much to invest in the ILB position. 

id be shocked if Clowney came back. But honesty, he would be better off to come to a place he knows the system and can rebuild his value for a season. 

No fans for home game #1. Anybody know if Houston will figure it out and allow fans? I live in Dallas and really want to fly down for the Packer game. 

Are Roby and Reid the only 2 in our secondary that were on the roster to start training camp last year?

5 hours ago, YaddaHolla said:

No fans for home game #1. Anybody know if Houston will figure it out and allow fans? I live in Dallas and really want to fly down for the Packer game. 

I wouldn’t hold my breathe for having fans at games at any point this season

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Are Roby and Reid the only 2 in our secondary that were on the roster to start training camp last year?

Keion Croissen, right?