Vikings extend HC Mike Zimmer

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I don't know what to think about this extension.  I love Mike Zimmer as a coach in many ways, but I have my doubts that his philosophy can get the Vikings over the hump.  He loves his secondary players, and does a great job with them.  He is also smart enough to get a good offensive mind on the staff to be his offensive coordinator.  He doesn't try to be an expert at everything.  He is great in one area and that is what he concentrates on. 

The one area where I think he has been lacking is in putting enough emphasis on the defensive line.  He needs better defensive tackles than he has been trying to get by with, and also needs to continue the investment he has been making in the offensive line.  When we get to the playoffs, the Mike Zimmer teams have failed in large part because they were pushed around in the trenches.  Solidify the trenches and Zim just might get this team to the promised land.  I just don't know if he thinks he needs to do that, and that's where I have my concerns. 

Vikes were 2-4 within the division last year and were rocked mightily in the middle during those games.  (Especially against GB)  It wasn't just the playoffs.

Guess we will see if it was Zimm or Jerry Gray.  (This Packer fan is hoping it was Gray.)

Overall, I feel like Zimm is an excellent, defensive coach.  As a head coach?  Can do better, can do worse.  Probably a good extension for the Vikes.  I do think that Spielman has done a great job with the draft.  Drafted a ton of really great players.  Players haven't been the issue.  So it kind of falls on the HC.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Vikes were 2-4 within the division last year and were rocked mightily in the middle during those games.  (Especially against GB)  It wasn't just the playoffs.

Guess we will see if it was Zimm or Jerry Gray.  (This Packer fan is hoping it was Gray.)

Overall, I feel like Zimm is an excellent, defensive coach.  As a head coach?  Can do better, can do worse.  Probably a good extension for the Vikes.  I do think that Spielman has done a great job with the draft.  Drafted a ton of really great players.  Players haven't been the issue.  So it kind of falls on the HC.

This isn't entirely true. They have not been good at getting talent on the OL, and a lot of that falls on the GM. It isn't for lack of trying, and circumstances haven't been kind. I still think Speilman is the right guy, but he needs to do better on the OL and finding a QB to develop for the future.

On Zim, I think this was the right move given the current environment. If this was a normal year I'm not sure this would have gotten done.

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Vikes were 2-4 within the division last year

Zimmer had the # 8 offense and the #5 defense and got swept by a rookie HC AND the Nagy-bears...in his 6th season as an NFL HC
The Wilf's didn't have a lot of other options because you can't have a coach on a lame -duck contract and changing HCs in COVID -world is brutal

That home game in December with the division on the line was a serious knock on his resume though
vikes got 3 turnovers in Packers territory to start that game... and still got run out of the stadium, 23-10 on National TV

He's a very good coach, he's been given a talented roster but for whatever reason he just hasn't delivered the desired results
In 2019, the vikings went 1-5 vs top competition despite the talent on both sides of the ball.

http://sagarin.com/sports/nflsend.htm

Zimmer records are down, up, down, up, down, up....?
2014      7- 9
2015     11-5
2016     8-8
2017     13-3
2018     8-7-1
2019     10-6

IF that pattern holds, it suggests a down year in minny-  we'll see how he does vs the challenging opening schedule:

Packers, @ Colts, Titans, @ Texans, @ Seahawks, Falcons

• Like 1

Always the brides maid but never the bride. His defense has been slipping these last 2 years. No longer feared. Vikings should be finishing 2nd and 3rd in that division. #Skol

Gosh damm.. Would have been better had they parted ways. A 8-8 season and coming up short with Captain Kirk coming right up. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

2014      7- 9
2015     11-5
2016     8-8
2017     13-3
2018     8-7-1
2019     10-6

IF that pattern holds, it suggests a down year in minny-  we'll see how he does vs the challenging opening schedule:

This is VERY circumstantial. 2014 was coming off of a 5-10-1 season as a first time head coach, and was the only losing season he's had. Then consider losing your young franchise QB to a freak, near career ending injury before the 2016 season, and the OL coach dying weeks before the 2018 season. 

I don't think he's the greatest coach, but using past records as an indicator that this will be a "down" year might not be the best idea. Although, who knows how well the team will perform after losing so many vets in a Covid shortened offseason. That is a brutal opening stretch.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Always the brides maid but never the bride. His defense has been slipping these last 2 years. No longer feared. Vikings should be finishing 2nd and 3rd in that division. #Skol

Gosh damm.. Would have been better had they parted ways. A 8-8 season and coming up short with Captain Kirk coming right up. 

Sup.

37 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

This is VERY circumstantial.

Everything is circumstantial and every team faces difficult circumstances.The HC's main job as CEO - is leading the way to overcome any & all obstacles. If you can't do that, then you might not be HC material. Zimmer's defensive acumen is very high, his defensive roster is loaded with talent

But with the chance to HOST and play in a Super Bowl on the line, his top ranked defense got run out of Philadelphia 38 -7.
In a results-based business, that's just not good enough.

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Everything is circumstantial and every team faces difficult circumstances.The HC's main job as CEO - is leading the way to overcome any & all obstacles. If you can't do that, then you might not be HC material. Zimmer's defensive acumen is very high, his defensive roster is loaded with talent

But with the chance to HOST and play in a Super Bowl on the line, his top ranked defense got run out of Philadelphia 38 -7.

I don't disagree with that. I also don't think it means he isn't worthy of being extended, or that he isn't capable of overcoming a similar challenge in the future. There are many examples of coaches with talented rosters that needed multiple opportunities to get to the top of the hill. I'm not saying that Zimmer will, but it's kinda silly to predict a down year because of past records.

I'd be curious to see if anyone can name another coach that has done as well with similar circumstances. I don't think you will find many.

15 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

38-7 in a title game means you might not be HC material.

Soo... should we just can LaFleur now for his 37-8 title game? And no context allowed for him if it’s not allowed for Zim (as rudimentary thinking as that is). If it means it for one, it means it for both.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Zimmer had the # 8 offense and the #5 defense and got swept by a rookie HC AND the Nagy-bears...in his 6th season as an NFL HC
The Wilf's didn't have a lot of other options because you can't have a coach on a lame -duck contract and changing HCs in COVID -world is brutal

That home game in December with the division on the line was a serious knock on his resume though
vikes got 3 turnovers in Packers territory to start that game... and still got run out of the stadium, 23-10 on National TV

He's a very good coach, he's been given a talented roster but for whatever reason he just hasn't delivered the desired results
In 2019, the vikings went 1-5 vs top competition despite the talent on both sides of the ball.

2014      7- 9
2015     11-5
2016     8-8
2017     13-3
2018     8-7-1
2019     10-6

Okay, so what?

What else were the Vikings supposed to do at head coach, especially this year?

I admire Zimmer as a defensive mind.  I think he's average for an NFL coach and I feel like he's underachieved given the talent he's had.  And if I were a Viking fan, I'm not sure who else they could have gotten as a head coach that would have been any better than Zimmer.

Concerning losing at home with a Super Bowl birth on the line?  Didn't keep the Packers from removing McCarthy.  And McCarthy won the Super Bowl a few years later. Point being, all head coaches will have blemishes.  It's whether or not they can bounce back.  Andy Reed is the poster boy for this.

Concerning being swept by GB...all NFC North teams were swept.  Yet no coaches were fired.  

55 minutes ago, Duluther said:

38-7 in a title game means you might not be HC material.

Soo... should we just can LaFleur now for his 37-8 title game? And no context allowed for him if it’s not allowed for Zim (as rudimentary thinking as that is). If it means it for one, it means it for both.

Nope, we scored 8 points...  8 is better than 7!  

14 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

it's kinda silly to predict a down year because of past records.

I can live with that
Human brains are wired to look for patterns, its how we learn and stay alive.
Sometimes the pattern holds true, sometimes it doesn't. But in the case of the NFL scheduling system - having a "good" year leads to a tougher schedule and a worse record, while having a "bad" year leads to an easier schedule and a better record. When you look at the vikes pattern, it would seem to hold true - but whether or not its predictive of the 2020 vikes is still TBD. 

But the other link I posted carries more weight than the W/L pattern - how did the 2019 vikes do when they faced top competition ?
And the answer is 1-5 vs Top 10 and 4-7 vs top 16. That's rather telling imo.

• Like 1