The Events That Brought Nick Foles To The Bears.....

soulman

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Mitch throwing the ball away on 4th down vs NO was as puzzling of a play I've ever seen in any sport at any level

Explain. I'd love to hear this. 

7 hours ago, G08 said:

I think the only way Trubisky finds success is if he reacts through plays rather than thinks. I saw a lot of thinking and second-guessing last season and it was painful. One in particular on a botched RPO where he looked to the wrong side of the field for his pass read made me realize he was drowning.

Mitch is the perfect example of the trickle down effect.

He has no confidence in his play, whatsoever. The lack of confidence is also apparent in one if his biggest problems which is his decision making and how inconsistent he is with it. On one play he gets happy feet and throws the ball too soon before the routes can develop, or he holds the ball for too long, giving the defense a chance, and in turn, giving himself less options downfield. And all of this boils down to his inability to read defenses and being able to see the play,in his head, visually, before it happens. 

Now, all of this coachable, but only to an extent. That's why I don't think Mitch will ever be a reliable full-time starter. 

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

He has no confidence in his play, whatsoever. The lack of confidence is also apparent in one if his biggest problems which is his decision making and how inconsistent he is with it. On one play he gets happy feet and throws the ball too soon before the routes can develop, or he holds the ball for too long, giving the defense a chance, and in turn, giving himself less options downfield. And all of this boils down to his inability to read defenses and being able to see the play,in his head, visually, before it happens. 

Now, all of this coachable, but only to an extent. That's why I don't think Mitch will ever be a reliable full-time starter. 

You watched the game. You saw it. You know exactly what I'm talking about. It showed his overall confusion out on the field. It showed his lack of awareness. It showed his inability to know a game situation. It showed his confidence level or lack thereof. You summed it up in the font that isn't bolded. It reminded me of the time Mike Glennon threw the ball away with no time left on 4th and goal vs ATL in week 1 of the 2017 season because no one was open. Down 19 points with 12 minutes left, he dumped it off to Cohen on the play prior for 2 yards and then on the 4th down play, he dumped it off to nobody for a turnover on downs. How ******* dumb and unaware can a player be? It was idiotic, confusing and the video that plays in my head of the play is the epitome of Trubisky's, Nagy's, and the Bears' 2019 season. 

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We also need the offense to be better around him. That goes for Foles as well.

Leno and Massie were bad last season

Daniels was bad at C

Long/Coward were unplayable bad.

The TEs were awful

Cohen no showed the season

Only elite QBs are going to overcome half of that.

You know I watched a lot of 2019 Dallas this summer on Game Pass.  Less so lately because it hasn't been working right.

But if you watch Bears and Dallas the difference is pretty astounding.   Yes, Dak gets sacked or hurried on occasion, sometimes a lot, as every one does, but he has so many plays where he has 4 secs to find a receiver with no pressure at all.   

And he gets them a lot in one drive.  To be allowed to get into that kind of rhythm is no small thing.   That and every 3rd or 4th play they can effectively run the ball or throw a screen for a nice chunk of yardage.   That kind of break from reading a defense is no small thing either.   

I am no 2019 MT fan, he played bad.  He missed reads on runs and passes.  A lot of easy ones too.   But he was never allowed any kind of rhythm in vast majority of games.   

I don't think any mid-tier young QB would have played much better.  And conversely I think a lot of mid-tier QBs could have succeeded where Dak was succeeding to same extent he was succeeding in 2019.  

Chicago was a crappy offense overall in terms of execution. 

Our O line and TE protections and run blocking were just unacceptable.  And it wasn't just talent it was poor technique and poor execution.  

That being said I think Ifedi is underrated football player also having watched him 2019.  I think there is no way he doesn't start at RG and is a huge upgrade over Long and Coward.  

I think Daniels looks like he is 20 lbs. bigger than last year and all of that muscle.   Those two things alone mean better.   I still have small faith in Leno and almost no faith in Massie.  I would like to see Bars stay at OT and competing for playing time there.   

I think our TE room is improved, but not world shaking, but improved is improved.   Our TE blocking last year was abysmal.   It has been for 3 years really.  

Quinn is a good football player BTW.  He is reason I have been watching Dallas.  He is not as good against the run, but he isn't bad either.  He sells out for his pass rush which can leave him open on screens and run plays, but he wins a lot and causes a lot of pressure and big plays.  Or he did in 2019 anyway.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

He literally was the least experienced QB ever to be drafted in the 1st round. I'm not surprised he's struggling in an offense like Nagy's. Mahomes has made a ton of his big plays off-script and just being a true-blue-playmaker. I wish I would have seen more from him, but he's running a complex offense against defenses that know they can confuse him with disguised coverages. Tough spot but still not an excuse.

I'm a broken record but you give me a talented athlete who works hard at his craft, especially at the QB position, and I'll give them 3 years to prove themselves.

Edited by G08
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

You watched the game. You saw it. You know exactly what I'm talking about. It showed his overall confusion out on the field. It showed his lack of awareness. It showed his inability to know a game situation. It showed his confidence level or lack thereof. You summed it up in the font that isn't bolded. It reminded me of the time Mike Glennon threw the ball away with no time left on 4th and goal vs ATL in week 1 of the 2017 season because no one was open. Down 19 points with 12 minutes left, he dumped it off to Cohen on the play prior for 2 yards and then on the 4th down play, he dumped it off to nobody for a turnover on downs. How ******* dumb and unaware can a player be? It was idiotic, confusing and the video that plays in my head of the play is the epitome of Trubisky's, Nagy's, and the Bears' 2019 season. 

Lol. This is a awful description. For both plays. 

For someone who considered that 4th down play as one of the worst you have ever seen, you sure don't seem to know much about it. You are clearly just following the ball. 

No-one who understands the basic concept of football would blame Mitch for neither of those plays. Coward is the one who was at fault for both of them. In fact, the 3rd down play is actually a good job by Mitch for getting anything out of it at all and it was one of the rare times that he didn't get happy feet or stare down his first read. 

40 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Lol. This is a awful description. For both plays. 

For someone who considered that 4th down play as one of the worst you have ever seen, you sure don't seem to know much about it. You are clearly just following the ball. 

No-one who understands the basic concept of football would blame Mitch for neither of those plays. Coward is the one who was at fault for both of them. In fact, the 3rd down play is actually a good job by Mitch for getting anything out of it at all and it was one of the rare times that he didn't get happy feet or stare down his first read. 

I understand that Coward got beat. Which play did Coward NOT get beat on last year? The guy was horrendous. Point is, you don't just toss the ball away. Launch it somewhere. Just not straight into the ground 20 yards from someone. Clearly the Bears were disappointed highly in that decision if that play was, according to the article, just one more feather in the "Trubisky stinks" cap at HH

Edited by beardown3231

19 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I understand that Coward got beat. Which play did Coward NOT get beat on last year? The guy was horrendous. Point is, you don't just toss the ball away. Launch it somewhere. Just not straight into the ground 20 yards from someone. Clearly the Bears were disappointed highly in that decision if that play was, according to the article, just one more feather in the "Trubisky stinks" cap at HH

Yeah....launch it anywhere. That's great advice. 

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Yeah....launch it anywhere. That's great advice. 

Down 3 possessions with 12 minutes left, yeah that's exactly what he should've done. Throw it up to someone. What's the worst thing that can happen? It gets intercepted aka the same exact thing in theory that did happen: a turnover?

You don't see the play as a giant mess of an effort but I do. Tie goes to the team I suppose and the Bears were apparently discouraged by the play. I'll take their word for it

Edited by beardown3231

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Down 3 possessions with 12 minutes left, yeah that's exactly what he should've done. Throw it up to someone. What's the worst thing can happen? It gets intercepted aka the same exact thing in theory that did happen: a turnover?

You don't see the play as a circus of an effort but I do, and the Bears do. I'll take their word for it

My god. You are literally saying one of the worst plays you have ever seen is all because Mitch didn't throw up a prayer O.o....

This shows your lack of knowledge of that specific play and the game of football in general. And stop with saying the Bears agree with you too just to your to make your completely asinine reasoning seem more credible. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

My god. You are literally saying one of the worst plays you have ever seen is all because Mitch didn't throw up a prayer O.o....

I thought the same thing but just shrugged and moved on

• Like 1

6 hours ago, G08 said:

He literally was the least experienced QB ever to be drafted in the 1st round. I'm not surprised he's struggling in an offense like Nagy's. Mahomes has made a ton of his big plays off-script and just being a true-blue-playmaker. I wish I would have seen more from him, but he's running a complex offense against defenses that know they can confuse him with disguised coverages. Tough spot but still not an excuse.

I'm a broken record but you give me a talented athlete who works hard at his craft, especially at the QB position, and I'll give them 3 years to prove themselves.

This...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 4:54 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

No-one who understands the basic concept of football would blame Mitch for neither of those plays. 

Good lord.

You're serious?

You tuck the ball and run, hope for something to happen, if nothing else. As a QB, you don't throw the ball away on 4th down...

11 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Good lord.

You're serious?

You tuck the ball and run, hope for something to happen, if nothing else. As a QB, you don't throw the ball away on 4th down...

I can't believe YOU'RE serious.

1) Tucking the ball and running wasn't much of an option at that point since he was already being chased down and the defender had the angle.

2) Given the close proximity of all defenders (remember, it was only a 3rd and 5(?),  the best case scenario was that he is tackled and the clock keeps running , and the worst case scenario is that he fumbles. 

He has an elite defense with the ball at the 50 yard line and he had nowhere to throw to. The best decision was to stop the clock (WITHOUT risking a TO or getting call for intentional  grounding) and leave it his defense to force another punt.   

This is football 101 people.