NFL & NFLPA agree to amendments to the CBA for 2020, salary cap to remain unchanged this year

drd23

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

If capped at 175M, it's going to be a super interesting off season next year. 

If the season goes through as they plan it, it will be much higher IMO

If not, we could see a lot of deals like Mahommes, where cap % comes into play and raises based on cap implications. Also, bonus heavy

6 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

If not, we could see a lot of deals like Mahommes, where cap % comes into play and raises based on cap implications. Also, bonus heavy

But just think about what would happen. About half the league is currently above that mark. Then you have a team like SF who is below it (barely), but have like 10 impactful free agents to resign. 

Dallas couldn't tag Dak a second time at that price. The 49ers could easily jettison Jimmy G given there is only 2 million in dead space (saves like 25 million). Big Ben's cap number for next year I believe is 41 million lol. Derek Carr is 22 million with 19 in savings and he's probably not good enough to keep in that sort of situation. We could see some phenomenal quarterback craziness....and that's before you even get into the other positions. 

It's incredible just to think about. I love it! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

But just think about what would happen. About half the league is currently above that mark. Then you have a team like SF who is below it (barely), but have like 10 impactful free agents to resign. 

Dallas couldn't tag Dak a second time at that price. The 49ers could easily jettison Jimmy G given there is only 2 million in dead space (saves like 25 million). Big Ben's cap number for next year I believe is 41 million lol. Derek Carr is 22 million with 19 in savings and he's probably not good enough to keep in that sort of situation. We could see some phenomenal quarterback craziness....and that's before you even get into the other positions. 

It's incredible just to think about. I love it! 

The Rams will cut Jared Goff.

1 minute ago, HoboRocket said:

The Rams will cut Jared Goff.

lol they can't. He's 15 million more expensive to cut than keep on the roster. 

Though I suppose there is some confusion on when his 2021 base salary vests into a fully guaranteed base as the date is unknown. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

how so?

Expenses for the teams are not really dropping with no fans in the stands, but revenue will drop somewhere around 30-40%

Its almost as if that report of the owners asking for a $40M cap reduction for 2020 season set the stage for this agreement.  Sets the stage for the cap to potentially go down in 2021 and any "losses" to be spread out over 4 years.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

how so?

Expenses for the teams are not really dropping with no fans in the stands, but revenue will drop somewhere around 30-40%

The NFL will take a loss for sure but they'll make some of that back from spikes in streaming revenue. Media revenue has already surpassed gate sales as the #1 source of income. With the gates closed, streaming will sky rocket. 

It won't make up for all of the lost money, but I'm sure it'll be more than enough to keep their heads above water without having to dip too much into future money and taking years to recoup.

All things considered, I don't think 175 is a bad figure at all. Prior to C19, I had the 2021 Salary cap raising by 12.3M next year which would have been $210.5M. 175M is a 35.5M loss in revenue. Multiply it by 32 teams and that's 1.12B dollars. I thinks that's a pretty fair deal. 

Now ofcourse I'm not saying my projected 12.3M is the end all or anything but every year for last 6-7 years I like to predict what the Salary cap is gonna be before the numbers are released so I can see how much the Bears will have to work with and I've gotten pretty damn good at it. I'm usually within less than 1M from the actual.  

NA-sports-media-rights.jpg

564b9e502491f90d248b5dcf?width=700&forma

Edited by JustAnotherFan

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

The NFL will take a loss for sure but they'll make some of that back from spikes in streaming revenue. Media revenue has already surpassed gate sales as the #1 source of income. With the gates closed, streaming will sky rocket. 

It won't make up for all of the lost money, but I'm sure it'll be more than enough to keep their heads above water without having to dip too much into future money and taking years to recoup.

All things considered, I don't think 175 is a bad figure at all. Prior to C19, I had the 2021 Salary cap raising by 12.3M next year which would have been $210.5M. 175M is a 35.5M loss in revenue. Multiply it by 32 teams and that's 1.12B dollars. I thinks that's a pretty fair deal. 

Now ofcourse I'm not saying my projected 12.3M is the end all or anything but every year for last 6-7 years I like to predict what the Salary cap is gonna be before the numbers are released so I can see how much the Bears will have to work with and I've gotten pretty damn good at it. I'm usually within less than 1M from the actual.  

NA-sports-media-rights.jpg

564b9e502491f90d248b5dcf?width=700&forma

Here is GB released financials for 2018 and 2019

Local revenue around 40% of total revenue.   Not sure how GB stacks up with the rest of the league, but that would be a fair barometer of what the loss in revenue would/could be for the 2020 season and how that might affect the 2021 salary cap.  Now the local revenue would also have some reduction in expenses for stadium workers on game day, parking lot staff on game days.   But those expenses are really low relative to the revenue lost.  I am not sure the 30-40% loss in revenue per team is offest as the expenses in player salaries and administrative costs associated with health care, medical, etc.   COVID testing and protocols will also add some expenses to the 2020 ledger.  

In the end, I agree that the $175M projection for 2021 is fair.  probably will not drop that far, but I would be very surprised if the cap did not go up at all.   That puts a lot of stress on teams that have been planning and structuring contracts for the last several years for that.   It also likely leads to more 1 year deals, or at least shorter term deals by some so they can get to FA again when the cap makes another jump up.

The agreement does give the owners the ability to keep the cap flatter for the next few years, which was likely the goal of proposing the drastic $40M reduction for the 2020 cap.  Posturing and negotiating is something that the ownership side of the NFL is pretty good at.

Edited by squire12
  • Like 1