NFL & NFLPA agree to amendments to the CBA for 2020, salary cap to remain unchanged this year

drd23

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

For a bit more context

Local revenue around 40% of total revenue.   Not sure how GB stacks up with the rest of the league, but that would be a fair barometer of what the loss in revenue would/could be for the 2020 season and how that might affect the 2021 salary cap.  

Local revenue and national revenue are different though.  But I'll check that out when I get chance tho. Looks interesting. 

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Local revenue and national revenue are different though.  But I'll check that out when I get chance tho. Looks interesting. 

see some of what I edited above.   I am not sure what "local" revenue all pertains to.   I think most of that is ticket sales and merchandise and game day sales.   With no fans or limited fans, that revenue goes away by a significant amount.

GB ticket sales from 2019 and 2020.   2020 tickets were to go up between $1 and $7 for various locations of seating.   80,000 seat stadium

lets say it is $65 for preseason game on average per ticket (80,000 x $65 x 2 games = $10M for preseason)

lets say $125 per ticket for regular season games (80,000 x $125 x 8 games = $80M for regular season)

I am not sure how much each ticket holder spends at a game, but the beer is $8 per, hotdog/brat is $6 per.   So each ticket holder is probably dropping between $20-30 at each game which is another $25+M

Packers ticket prices

Green package tickets (with 2019 prices in parentheses)

• End zone seats — $58 ($56) preseason, $118 ($111) regular season, total cost of $766 ($722).
  • South end zone, 700 level — $61 ($60) preseason, $121 ($120) regular season, total cost of $787 ($780).
  • South end zone, 600 level — $64 ($63) preseason, $129 ($128) regular season, total cost of $838 ($831).
  • End zone to 20-yard line — $69 ($63) preseason, $134 ($128) regular season, total cost of $873 ($831).
  • Between the 20-yard lines —  $74 ($72) preseason, $149 ($142) regular season, total cost of $968 ($924).

Gold package tickets (with 2019 prices in parentheses)

• End zone seats — $58 ($56) preseason, $118 ($111) regular season, total cost of $294 ($278).
  • South end zone, 700 level — $61 ($60) preseason, $121 ($120) regular season, total cost of $303 ($300).
  • End zone to 20-yard line — $64 ($63) preseason, $129 ($128) regular season, total cost of $322 ($319).
  • South end zone, 600 level — $69 ($63) preseason, $134 ($128) regular season, total cost of $337 ($319).
  • Between the 20-yard lines — $74 ($72) preseason, $149 ($142) regular season, total cost of $372 ($356).

• Like 1

That’s good there’s a minimum cap. I was wondering if all hell was about to break loose. Still, any upcoming free agents are kinda f’ed because no groundbreaking contracts will be thrown out when the money isn’t there. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

lol they can't. He's 15 million more expensive to cut than keep on the roster. 

Though I suppose there is some confusion on when his 2021 base salary vests into a fully guaranteed base as the date is unknown. 

Wasn't Todd Gurley more expensive to cut, as well?

Goff is going to make some dough.

Edit: or, well, the Gurley cut DOES save the Rams money in 2022 and beyond. For now, though, they're carrying 20 million in dead cap with Señor Todd Gurley's name on it.

Edited by HoboRocket

I thought this one was interesting:

"Per source, players cannot be present at indoor night clubs, indoor bars (except to pickup food), indoor house parties(with 15 or more people), indoor concerts, professional sporting events, or indoor church services that allow attendance above 25 percent of capacity."

So the NFL is forbidding NFL players from going to professional sporting events...because its too risky/ too dangerous ?

That's just awesome in every way

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

"Per source, players cannot be present at indoor night clubs, indoor bars (except to pickup food), indoor house parties(with 15 or more people), indoor concerts, professional sporting events, or indoor church services that allow attendance above 25 percent of capacity."

So the NFL is forbidding NFL players from going to professional sporting events...because its too risky/ too dangerous ?

LAWL

So they know sporting events are too risky for their players to attend but are not only asking them to play, but allowing fans at their own games. If that isnt a wanton disregard for their fans idk what more proof you need. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

It goes without saying that there's a huge difference between playing & spectating... For one, fans at games will not be getting tested before entering.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 8:04 PM, squire12 said:

how so?

Expenses for the teams are not really dropping with no fans in the stands, but revenue will drop somewhere around 30-40%

Not really. The drop in revenue will be different than you realize. TV deals will be re-negotiated since people will be starved for sports. This might be the best time for the NFL to put their product out. Even with minimal fans.

21 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Not really. The drop in revenue will be different than you realize. TV deals will be re-negotiated since people will be starved for sports. This might be the best time for the NFL to put their product out. Even with minimal fans.

As an out of market fan, I'd gladly pay ~$100 a year for all games of my team live, like MLB does with their single team packages. I think as long as DirectTV has Sunday Ticket though, there is 0 chance that happens. What a shame.

23 minutes ago, scar988 said:

How will it be different?   You don't think there will be a drop in revenue from a significant reduction in fans in the stands at FB games?

TV deals will be renegotiated when the current deal is done.   The networks have little incentive to rework a deal prior to it being time to do so.  If the NFL can generate other revenue streams from PPV or streaming type methods, it could offset the loss of ticket/stadium revenue.

ESPN had a follow up with some interesting tidbits

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29544799/nfl-players-attend-high-risk-events-contract-coronavirus-face-team-discipline-lack-pay

• There will be no reduction in 2020 players' salaries or bonuses if there is a complete NFL season.

• $17 million in 2020 player benefits have been canceled, including the second career savings plan, tuition assistance and playoff bye week pay. Those benefits will be repaid to players through a new benefit after 2023. Most of the canceled benefits would have been new this year under the CBA signed in March, and they will instead begin in 2021.

• If at least one week of NFL games is played, players who were on a team's Week 1 roster or practice squad will not have their contracts toll and will receive one full-credited season for the purpose of pension and benefits and an accrued season toward free agency.

• A player who chooses to opt out of the 2020 season must inform his team in writing within seven days of the finalizing of the side letter. His contract will toll, meaning it will pick up next year where it is now. As long as he earned a credited season in 2019 or was drafted in 2020, he will get a stipend of $150,000, which will be treated as a salary advance and come out of future years' pay.

• A player who chooses to opt out because he is in a higher-risk medical category will get a $350,000 stipend that is not an advance against future salary. He will receive an accrued season toward free agency and a credited season toward player benefits and minimum salary.

There was an agreement that the Salary cap can only drop to $175M next season.  I am trying to find that article to post it.