Alex Smith cleared for return

15 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Deserving of a trade is one thing.  Making it work within the confines of the cap and not screwing things up for 2021- especially if the cap retracts- is another thing entirely. 

Yeah, I don’t think these ideas by journalists are well thought out. He’s making $21 million and even if he’s cleared for contact, why would someone trade for his contract? They’d not know that he could stay healthy.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

No one will trade for a QB who's making $21 million and isn't reliable enough to be a starter.

They don't have to pay the signing bonus.  It is much less.  If a team is in contention and has a qb go down this isn't unreachable.  

9 minutes ago, offbyone said:

They don't have to pay the signing bonus.  It is much less.  If a team is in contention and has a qb go down this isn't unreachable.  

Why would anyone trade for Alex Smith & a $21 million cap charge? And do they have the cap space to fit him in? This isn’t 100% Alex Smith from after the 2017 season when we traded a 3rd round pick and Kyle Fuller for him.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Why would anyone trade for Alex Smith & a $21 million cap charge? And do they have the cap space to fit him in? This isn’t 100% Alex Smith from after the 2017 season when we traded a 3rd round pick and Kyle Fuller for him.

I am just going to repeat myself.  It isn't 21 million.  It is like 16.  I think the reasoning is obvious.  A team that thinks they are going to have a season and loses their qb.

I am sure the team trading for him will also hope it isn't Alex Smith from 2017, that version of him sucked.  If he is cleared to play, he is cleared to play. 

We could also restructure his contract to take more of the cap hit ourselves in order to make him more marketable for draft picks.  Not to mention, if he is serious about playing, he will be open to restructure options as long as he doesn't lose the guaranteed.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I am just going to repeat myself.  It isn't 21 million.  It is like 16.  I think the reasoning is obvious.  A team that thinks they are going to have a season and loses their qb.

I am sure the team trading for him will also hope it isn't Alex Smith from 2017, that version of him sucked.  If he is cleared to play, he is cleared to play. 

We could also restructure his contract to take more of the cap hit ourselves in order to make him more marketable for draft picks.  Not to mention, if he is serious about playing, he will be open to restructure options as long as he doesn't lose the guaranteed.  

Ok, $16 million, that’s still not a cap charge someone is going to trade for for a total unknown at QB, Alex isn’t the same, even if he’s cleared for full contact sometime in the future. He can’t run the same, he can’t protect himself the same and I’m sure he can’t throw it quite as well as he did two years ago and for the previous 13 years.

And, 2017 Alex Smith played on the Chiefs & had 4042 yds, 26 TDs & only 5 ints in 15 games played. Anyone who trades for Alex - and no one will - isn’t getting the career best Alex.

Why would any GM/HC believe that Alex can even be the 2018 version that he was for the Redskins?

No GM is going to give up picks for him. As a Washington fan we’d want another team to trade for him to bc we’d want to unload the contract and get a pick but I don’t see it happening. 

I don’t think he’ll ever play another down in the NFL unless it’s a charity snap and the end of the game sometime towards the end of the year to just say he made it back. Washington hasn’t restructured Alex’s contract bc they know after this season they can cut him and I fully expect them to do that. I just don’t see anyone wanting to trade for him even if he played for free tbh. It’s a harsh reality, but it is what it is.

Edited by turtle28

12 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I mean for real, anyone can think that they're ready for a Washington forum QB controversy, but they aren't. It gets wild, and it doesn't last days, weeks or even months, it lasts years.

We don't talk about it anymore, but there was Todd Collins vs Jason Campbell. Some thought after the 2007 playoff run that Collins should've stayed the starter in 2008 & 2009. 

Then, some of us thought Jason Campbell and McNabb should’ve gotten one more season at QB w/ Shanahan and I’m in that boat. McNabb was definitely a better option that Grossman and if he was our QB in 2011 w/ the best D we had all decade maybe we end up around .500 and we don't trade up for RG3. Then, we could have drafted Russell Wilson to be developed under McNabb in 2012 and Wilson probably even woul’ve become the starter in 2012 over McNabb.

We don't talk about RG3 much anymore either, but I'm sure there’s still a few in here - there definitely are some on Twitter - who think he got screwed and should’ve been the starter in 2015 just to give him one last shot. I was in that boat before Kirk proved me wrong in the Tampa Bay game, and the rest of that 2015 season. I was at the Stadium for the Kirk Tampa Bay ”You Like That!” Come back game.

Most of us still to this day want Kirk to be our QB. There are still a handful that swear he's average or worse bc he didn't always deliver in the clutch but if were all being honest, it wasn't always his fault we were only average with him as QB. The truth is he couldn't overcome the worst defense in the league while he was our QB and at best an average running game - no QB could've overcome those things -  not even Hall of Fame QBs.

Alex only got 9.5 games before breaking his leg, but I’d have to imagine if he hadn't gotten hurt we would've been 9-7 in 2019. And then with him last year throwing to Terry we probably would've end up around .500 again but, the be thing about that one is we wouldn't have Chase Young right now. So, that's bad, Alex’s injury was awful but in that way it was a blessing in disguise bc it leads to Chase Young & Bruce/Jay being fired.

Then, there are certainly those who aren't sold on Haskins. First, it was the Bentley he bought - like it matters. Then, it was Gruden constantly saying Haskins wasn't ready every time he got a chance and he wasn't interested in developing Haskins or playing him at all bc he wanted to play the veterans - preferably Colt who wasn't healthy or Case. Then, when Haskins did play as a rookie at first he didn't look good bc he wasn't ready and he was just a rookie but he did get better as the season went on when he got more playtime, but still some fans don't want Haskins to be Washington’s QB and that will probably never change.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Makes sense. I have to imagine he’ll be on it through what, week 10 is when they have to come off it or be put on IR? And then, I guess we’ll see what happens. My guess is that he’ll be on PUP and eventually end up on IR, but maybe not.

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think he's just saying that and it's true, he would be “in the mix” it's not like he wouldn't be. Right now though I'm not sure if anyone knows to what extent and at what level Alex can play. So, Rivera can't say to what extent Alex has a shot to play or compete for the job, saying ”he’d be in the mix if he's physical ok, ” is an entirely safe answer and the correct answer.

Edited by turtle28