Allbright: Trubisky To Be Named Starter

G08

Just now, WindyCity said:

My buddies and I met Bennie Joppru, Texans TE, in Vegas.

He told is David Carr was the first person to leave the facility everyday, never watched film and didn't give a **** about football.

He didn't get his confidence shaken, he didn't care about football.

I think that is a total falsehood.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I am sure he got beat up and had his confidence shaken.

The reason he was a bad QB were far mor serious then a bad rookie year.

Another good story he told us was that Polian came to his Pro Day at Michigan and asked him 1 question "can you run under 4.65". Joppru said no, Polian left and ended up drafting Dallas Clark.

NFL QBs struggle, they throw picks, they get hit, it is unavoidable for even the great ones.

People have asked if Brady and Rodgers were "done" because of their struggles.

Tubisky will struggle, he will throw picks, he will make mistakes, he will get hit. If he learns from that, grows from that, survives it mentally, then we may have something. If he can't overcome those struggles, I am not sure how he will survive in the NFL. Because he will have bad plays and moments in 2018, 2019, 2020 and beyond. You can't avoid them.

I think everyone just has to be realistic. Coaches need to be realistic with what they ask him to do. Media and fans need to be realistic with what they expect. It isn't all going to be Denver Preseason.

If Trubisky goes out on MNF and gets confused by Zimmer and throws 2 picks, then that is okay. Because hopefuly he never throws that pick against that look again.

Instant success can stunt your development and allow you to not have to grow and improve. Look at the success Sanchez had early in his career, back to back AFC Title games and he was the Sanchize. The problem was that he just skated by and never improved or overcame his weaknesses.

What Windy said. We are not going to be a viable NFL offense with Glennon and certainly are not a playoff team with him.

Season is basically over for the Glennon era.

Play Trubisky in the "kept the rookie QB alive" offense and if more wins come, bonus. As Trubisky acclimates to the NFL game, expand his responsibilities.

Per Orton, I'd have him come in and teach Trubisky that it's better to throw the ball away and live another day and avoid a sack or Int.

Orton got killed by fans for throwing the ball away so much, but he didn't have a steller WR group. In 2008 he threw 12 int and was sacked 27 times. In 2009, Cutler comes in and throws 26 int and was sacked 35 times. 14 less picks and 8 less sacks. Trying to make plays that weren't there almost got Cutler killed, but it proved he was one tough SOB.

24 minutes ago, wes2.0 said:

Did you watch him in 2005?

I watched him go 10-5 as a starter.

He was a rookie. He was not expected to start. He got no starter reps. He got pressed into the starter's role after Grossman went down.

Orton wasn't a franchise QB, but he gutted out 2005 and managed to not blow the season with virtually no preparation.

7 hours ago, 51to54 said:

What Windy said. We are not going to be a viable NFL offense with Glennon and certainly are not a playoff team with him.

Season is basically over for the Glennon era.

Play Trubisky in the "kept the rookie QB alive" offense and if more wins come, bonus. As Trubisky acclimates to the NFL game, expand his responsibilities.

Per Orton, I'd have him come in and teach Trubisky that it's better to throw the ball away and live another day and avoid a sack or Int.

Orton got killed by fans for throwing the ball away so much, but he didn't have a steller WR group. In 2008 he threw 12 int and was sacked 27 times. In 2009, Cutler comes in and throws 26 int and was sacked 35 times. 14 less picks and 8 less sacks. Trying to make plays that weren't there almost got Cutler killed, but it proved he was one tough SOB.

I don't think anyone needs to teach Trubisky how to be smart with the ball. He was a top pick largely on his ability to see the whole field and make good decisions. To me the reasons a lot of QBs should sit is because they can't read the whole field. That has never been an issue for Mitch. 

People keep playing the "what if he gets beat up?" and "What if he gets David Carred?" cards. Carr played behind the worst OL in NFL history statistically. Ours is pretty strong. Plus, we clearly have no issues scheming to protect the QB if that's the route they choose to go even when it is to the detriment of offensive production. Even if they run the Glennon game plan with Trubisky the pros far outweigh the cons. We don't know that Rodgers and Favre were great because they sat at first any more than we know that Carr and Bortles are bad because they didn't. If Mitch wilts like a flower facing adversity then he isn't who we drafted him to be anyway. There is only one way to find out.

Windy is right about expectations though - he's going to get hit and he's going to make mistakes. All QBs get hit and even the greatest QBs make mistakes. If people can accept that waiting his turn was part of the process then they should be able to and need to be able to understand that these things are part of the process too. 

If it's true, we'll see how it goes. Bears fans are very quick to sour on players, especially when they feel like they're owed or were promised something.

The common line with the fans regarding Cutler is still that they were sold a false bill of goods, when in fact few cared to consider his negatives coming out of Denver.

13 hours ago, 51to54 said:

I watched him go 10-5 as a starter.

He was a rookie. He was not expected to start. He got no starter reps. He got pressed into the starter's role after Grossman went down.

Orton wasn't a franchise QB, but he gutted out 2005 and managed to not blow the season with virtually no preparation.

He was horrible. He didn't go 10-5. The defense and special teams did. Not saying Orton was terrible altogether but he was bad his rookie year. Not arguing if it was his fault. 

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think everyone just has to be realistic. Coaches need to be realistic with what they ask him to do. Media and fans need to be realistic with what they expect. It isn't all going to be Denver Preseason.

If Trubisky goes out on MNF and gets confused by Zimmer and throws 2 picks, then that is okay. Because hopefuly he never throws that pick against that look again.

Instant success can stunt your development and allow you to not have to grow and improve. Look at the success Sanchez had early in his career, back to back AFC Title games and he was the Sanchize. The problem was that he just skated by and never improved or overcame his weaknesses.

This is a great post and should be stickied somewhere. I hope fans don't expect him to be lights out like he was against Denver in the preseason. He's going to make mistakes, he's going to throw interceptions -- some will be bad -- I just pray pray pray that our stupid fanbase doesn't boo the kid mercilessly.

I mean Christ, this is the same fanbase that booed Walter ******* Payton after his first game to the point where he left after the game ended in tears.

2 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

If it's true, we'll see how it goes. Bears fans are very quick to sour on players, especially when they feel like they're owed or were promised something.

The common line with the fans regarding Cutler is still that they were sold a false bill of goods, when in fact few cared to consider his negatives coming out of Denver.

Cutler still sucks in Miami. Nice zero egg he laid against that vaunted saints d. GOOD RIDDANCE

3 hours ago, wes2.0 said:

He was horrible. He didn't go 10-5. The defense and special teams did. Not saying Orton was terrible altogether but he was bad his rookie year. Not arguing if it was his fault. 

He was horrible, but the official NFL statistics certainly say he went 10-5 as a starter. You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts.

Archived