Umbaugh21

Daron Payne over Derwin James?

I know I said when we drafted Daron Payne, that it was a good pick and helped a major need, but that Derwin was the better player and we would regret it. 2 years later, we have a plethora of D-Lineman and are weak at Safety (unless Sean Davis really shows out). 

So I will bring it up again, did we make the right choice in passing up on a phenomenal athlete that can be rare to find for a NT that never really screamed top 5 in the league potential?? 

Time will still tell, but as of now... I stand where I did when we made the pick, it wasn’t a bad pick, but DJ would have been the better choice. Having Derwin and Landon at Safety while still having an interior line that boasts Allen, Ionnadis, Settle and Brantley. Not to mention the Ends we have that could slide in on pass rushing situations... I really feel like that pick is one that we missed on. But here’s to hoping that this season and from now on Payne proves me wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I know I said when we drafted Daron Payne, that it was a good pick and helped a major need, but that Derwin was the better player and we would regret it. 2 years later, we have a plethora of D-Lineman and are weak at Safety (unless Sean Davis really shows out). 

So I will bring it up again, did we make the right choice in passing up on a phenomenal athlete that can be rare to find for a NT that never really screamed top 5 in the league potential?? 

Time will still tell, but as of now... I stand where I did when we made the pick, it wasn’t a bad pick, but DJ would have been the better choice. Having Derwin and Landon at Safety while still having an interior line that boasts Allen, Ionnadis, Settle and Brantley. Not to mention the Ends we have that could slide in on pass rushing situations... I really feel like that pick is one that we missed on. But here’s to hoping that this season and from now on Payne proves me wrong. 

Changing to the 4-3, I think you can re-evaluate this at the end of the year.  There is going to be a distinct difference between what he did in the last system versus what he will do in this new one.  

Posted (edited)

Donald Payne was better last year then Derwin James was. Flip a coin IMO, at the time our D really needed an upgrade at arguably the most important position in a 3-4 D, the NT position. Payne is a great player. I don't regret them making the pick at all, especially considering Derwin James already had one season ending injury.

If we had drafted James, we wouldn't have signed Landon Collins, they play the same position SS.

Edited by turtle28

I would take Derwin over Payne if straight up,but not sure who we woulda spent Landon money on if we had went Derwin over Payne.

I still think we should took the Saints deal that happened for the next pick when they gave up 27 a 5th and 2019 1st to packers for 14 to get Davenport.COulda got a DT like Teven Bryan at 27 or Guard Will Hernendez,coulda got Sweat with the next year 1st then kept both 2nd that turned out to be Greddy Williams and Mike Pittman Jr

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Donald Payne was better last year then Derwin James was. Flip a coin IMO, at the time our D really needed an upgrade at arguably the most important position in a 3-4 D, the NT position. Payne is a great player. I don't regret them making the pick at all, especially considering Derwin James already had one season ending injury.

If we had drafted James, we wouldn't have signed Landon Collins, they play the same position SS.

Probably would've given a big-money contract to an actual nose tackle. 

34 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Probably would've given a big-money contract to an actual nose tackle. 

Which Payne is.

James is an excellent player and I would’ve been happy with him as the pick but he seems to be hurt a lot. Payne is one hell of a player though. I think he takes off under River and JDR. I don’t regret the pick at all. Chase Young and Payne are foundational talents. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

James is an excellent player and I would’ve been happy with him as the pick but he seems to be hurt a lot. Payne is one hell of a player though. I think he takes off under River and JDR. I don’t regret the pick at all. Chase Young and Payne are foundational talents. 

He might be even better as a 4-3 DT than he was as a 3-4 NT, especially as an interior pass rusher.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Yes you take the Dlineman over a safety every time.

Well not everytime, you wouldn’t take a 7th round rated DL over a 1st round rated S.

I'm still not mad or disappointed they took Payne. Both Payne and James have played up to the hype.

The Answers to some Opinions about the value of a Safety I believe is starting to present #Facts.

We see what Jamaal Adams was just traded for, 2 1st round draft picks plus more. That's A Lot! Those considering Collins deal too much lets see what the Seahawks will pay Adams. I don't see too much of a difference between Adams and Collins when use correctly. Close to the line of scrimmage to stop the run, cover RB's, Great in the Blitz, and top tacklers. 

Glad Jamaal was able to get his wish out of NY. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

DaRon Payne and Terry McLaurin are my two favorite players. Love this pick all day and I believe he’ll show out in JDR’s Defense! I’m right there with you Lavar!

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Yes you take the Dlineman over a safety every time.

You take the best player period. I still feel like we did this year I think he proves to be the value pick of that round

We both beat his drum loudly I feel like this year we see the fruit of the vision.

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 8:46 PM, Skins212689 said:

I'm still not mad or disappointed they took Payne. Both Payne and James have played up to the hype.

The Answers to some Opinions about the value of a Safety I believe is starting to present #Facts.

We see what Jamaal Adams was just traded for, 2 1st round draft picks plus more. That's A Lot! Those considering Collins deal too much lets see what the Seahawks will pay Adams. I don't see too much of a difference between Adams and Collins when use correctly. Close to the line of scrimmage to stop the run, cover RB's, Great in the Blitz, and top tacklers. 

Glad Jamaal was able to get his wish out of NY. 

I'm sorry, but the Seahawks got fleeced. That's an idiotic trade. Their GM needs to be fired. 

On 7/25/2020 at 7:06 PM, turtle28 said:

Well not everytime, you wouldn’t take a 7th round rated DL over a 1st round rated S.

Come on man. That is a deliberately obtuse answer and you know it. 

Because you're not deciding between a 7th round DL and a 1st round Safety when you're drafting in the first round.

At that point, you're considering two prospects who have first round grades and who you have ranked pretty closely together. And when you look at them both, you take the DL rather than the S. 

To address the OP. Payne was, and still is, the obvious choice here.