Jamal Adams traded to Seattle

August4th

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

Disgruntled might not be right, but Chandler Jones?

I'd love to see just a break down on trades in the NFL and how many of these names go to the NFC West. It's insane. Disgruntled or not, you can add 3 more from the Pats to the NFC west alone in Jimmy G, Jones and Cooks lol. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'd love to see just a break down on trades in the NFL and how many of these names go to the NFC West. It's insane. Disgruntled or not, you can add 3 more from the Pats to the NFC west alone in Jimmy G, Jones and Cooks lol. 

Sure would be nice to have all those right now...

Percy Harvin, Manny Sanders, Dee Ford.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

The claim that he is one of the top 10 players in the league right now is not a reach. Most people don't know it yet, but it will settle in by the next season or two. The dude is special. There are only a handful of players who come into the league and just start dominating from the get go. When you see these players, you know they just get it, ala Aaron Donald, JJ Watt, Von Miller etc. Adams is part of that group.

I thought that claim was a bit out of bounds because I haven't watched many Jets games.  I live in Texas, so I mainly get every Cowboys and Texans game.  Based on that video, though Adams seems like he has absurd instincts and he watches a ton of film.  He definitely seems like someone who is a massive game changer.  He can rush the passer, stop the run, and cover.

When I watched that video, I thought of Troy Polamalu a bit.

13 minutes ago, showtime said:

I thought that claim was a bit out of bounds because I haven't watched many Jets games.  I live in Texas, so I mainly get every Cowboys and Texans game.  Based on that video, though Adams seems like he has absurd instincts and he watches a ton of film.  He definitely seems like someone who is a massive game changer.  He can rush the passer, stop the run, and cover.

When I watched that video, I thought of Troy Polamalu a bit.

Funny you mentioned Polamalu. When he was coming into the NFL, part of me wanted the Titans to draft him to be our “Polamalu”.  It wasn’t the biggest need at the time but an Adams/Byard combo coached by D!ck Lebeau was intriguing to say the least.

Edited by TitanSlim

He's good, but comparing him to Troy Polamalu (a hall of famer) is a bit of a stretch.  His play style reminds me of Landon Collins.  He's aggressive, versatile, instinctive and comfortable in the box.  He's a top 3 safety in the league for sure.  Harrison Smith, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James are up there with him. 

I get that the Seahawks miss the legion of doom, and I appreciate them trying to build up a better team before Russell Wilson starts to decline.  But... the price is just too steep.  Two first round picks for any non-QB is a bad deal IMO.  Imagine a scenario where Russell Wilson gets hurt (heaven forbid. I'm a big fan), and the Seahawks are surrendering a top 10, maybe even top 5 pick to the Jets.  Additionally, he's going to get a $20 million per year contract.  He has all the leverage in the world now because if you give up that much for a player, you have to lock him up.

Meanwhile the Jets are going to be sitting on a stockpile of draft picks they can maybe use to trade up for Trevor Lawrence.

2 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Awful move by the Jets. They gave up a future HOFer for picks that are going to land between 27 and 32. Odds are those picks turn into decent starters or role players.

unfortunately the way he plays just doesnt impact the game that much. Hes fantastic at what he does, but it could be pretty easily argued that a pro bowl level corner, or left tackle (or equivalent) than a HOF, in the box safety. Its importance has dwindled over the years.

Assuming a season is played in 2020 I think this is great for Seattle. In this thread people have compared him to polomalu (I won't say he won't achieve the same status, but it's definitely early in his career to claim that) and Landon Collins. Collins is really lacking in coverage skills for his pay grade so I think that's an unfair comparison. The jets d was good and he was a huge part of it. I've always thought great safeties were underrated, and first round picks, particularly if you're drafting late are a crap shoot.

As far as long term goals for the jets and surrounding darnold with talent, I'm not really sure what to make of this situation.

5 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You think Adams could play Cover 1 Deep for a full season and still be Elite?

I feel like playing Robber makes him elite, blitzing makes him Elite but covering at the 3rd level he's not the same player.

It's a moot question imo. Seattle isn't trading for him to be that. You can tell that because they traded McDougald for Adams.

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's a moot question imo. Seattle isn't trading for him to be that. You can tell that because they traded McDougald for Adams.

It’s not because the debate is about his cover skills which I pointed out aren’t great when his responsibility is deep half/deep middle. 

However yes, if Seattle is using him as we expect it won’t matter.

9 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

They still need pass rush though. They've got absolutely nothing there and the thing that allowed Seattle to just plug-and-play guys during the Sherman/ET era (even when Kam was hurt) was having guys like Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril there to pressure the QB. Right now they've got actually nothing.

Luckily Adams is quite the pass rusher as well when plugged into that role. We both know that the better the secondary the more you can also manufacture pressure. To pull off such a maneuver of this magnitude I’m sure Carrol already has a plan in place for how they will utilize Adams to take that defense to the next level. There are those who believe Adams is a top 10 defensive player in the league and can have a transformative impact on a defense, if he is that guy then this move could look quite good in retrospect. It will be interesting however what type of contract they agree on considering the COVID-19 situation.

Adams is a great player. But he also is a head case and fake. Hes a fake leader, has no real leadership qualities. He basically whined his way out of NY, which good for him. But the Jets got the best deal they could for a player who wanted out and again its a safety position, not like a elite edge rusher. 

The Jets have more flexibility to start really building their roster as they had so many holes on this team due to years of bad drafting that we were in a bad position. There are few players that really are hated by fans like Adams is, he was a spoiled kid whining about contracts during a pandemic. And he just always had a fake demeanor about how hes a leader and wants to be a Jet for life and all this non-sense to bashing everyone on the JEts because he wasn't given $20 mil per year when he has 2 years left. 

I'm just glad we were able to recover good draft picks for a player who clearly wanted out. Even teammates are calling him out on his BS. 

Adams will make a lot of plays vs the run, won't get many INTs, and might get some sacks depending on how you use him. But hes mainly a box safety. 

Edited by NYJets4716