Jamal Adams traded to Seattle

August4th

3 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Still just mind blowing to me what the Seahawks gave up. That's a team that wasn't 1 defensive piece away imo.

Agreed.  I assume they are banking on the draft being low priority since college football might not really happen, but wow that is expensive and they still have to give him a big pay day.

I just can't believe they would trade that much without securing a long term deal as part of the trade.

1. You can do a lot on defense with Jamal Adams on your team.

2. You can do a lot for your team with 2 bonus 1st's and a 3rd.

Jets obvi won the trade. Why? He wasn't going to resign with them, so he had a year (if you can call 2020 a year) plus however long they could afford to franchise him, all the while with him stirring the pot.  I expect the Jets to stay in the mire, and a coupla picks won't change much long-term, but they may wake up and change their culture before April 2021. It's possible. Otherwise they can stay in the mire in peace, which has benefit to their office.

Hawks get a year of cheep play, if you call 2020 a year. Hawks have to then pay JA  one way or the other or let him walk. If the salary cap number craters next year, and it just might, it's the wrong year to a) have to pay someone, and b) try to get a premium long-term contract. I expect a number of 1 and 2 year relatively modest deals, but a relatively modest deal for JA is not going to be cheep. If they don't hoist the silver football tower this or next year, peeps will look back at this trade as the beginning of the end for Carroll.

Those draft picks could definitely be in the teens. I don't think Seattle is a lock to make the playoffs, with SF and LAR in the same division. 

@ ATL
vs NE
vs DAL
@MIA
vs MIN
@ AZ
vs SF
@ BUF
@ LAR
vs AZ
@ PHI
vs NYG
vs NYJ
@ WAS
vs  LAR
@ SF

Some tough out of division games too.

That being said, Seattle's 1st round draft pick is almost always a guy they should have drafted the late 2nd to mid 3rd, and the NFL currently sorely lacks in top-end safeties, regardless of FS or SS. It's an over-pay, no question, but it makes sense for a team like Seattle or Philly that continually whiffs in the 1st. I'm happy the Eagles didn't pay that price, but I'm also happy the Cowboys didn't pay that price. If you are drafting in the mid/late 20's, that's likely what it would cost to move into the top 8-10 picks and take a prospect that may bust anyways. The only real downside is Seattle is going to have to pay him big bucks sooner than later.

Edited by Jeezla

10 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Agreed.  I assume they are banking on the draft being low priority since college football might not really happen, but wow that is expensive and they still have to give him a big pay day.

I just can't believe they would trade that much without securing a long term deal as part of the trade.

Because they still have two years of control.  You have to realize that a long-term contract, one that is going to set a record at his position, and maybe even for a defensive player, is also an asset here.  Giving up two firsts ,a third and that kind of contract for one player is insane, especially for a strong safety.  This trade also just increased the trade the next time a Khalil Mack type goes on the market.  Expect three first rounders to be the going rate. 

I said in our forum I would rather have tried to spread the picks around.  Send the third and another minor pick to the Lions for Darius Slay.  Send one of the first rounders out for Yannick Ngakoue, DeAndre Hopkins or Stefon Diggs.  Keep the first rounder, and split the salary between both players acquired in trades.  That way, you have two top-end talents in Slay and "pick one", spread the contract money between the two, and retain a first rounder.  

In any case, this just proves how much age also means in NFL trades.  DeAndre Hopkins gets traded for a second rounder, and Jamal Adams goes for two firsts and a third.  Crazy talk. 

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Because they still have two years of control.  You have to realize that a long-term contract, one that is going to set a record at his position, and maybe even for a defensive player, is also an asset here.  Giving up two firsts ,a third and that kind of contract for one player is insane, especially for a strong safety.  This trade also just increased the trade the next time a Khalil Mack type goes on the market.  Expect three first rounders to be the going rate. 

I said in our forum I would rather have tried to spread the picks around.  Send the third and another minor pick to the Lions for Darius Slay.  Send one of the first rounders out for Yannick Ngakoue, DeAndre Hopkins or Stefon Diggs.  Keep the first rounder, and split the salary between both players acquired in trades.  That way, you have two top-end talents in Slay and "pick one", spread the contract money between the two, and retain a first rounder.  

In any case, this just proves how much age also means in NFL trades.  DeAndre Hopkins gets traded for a second rounder, and Jamal Adams goes for two firsts and a third.  Crazy talk. 

Not really. The Texans exist. And nobody trades premier pass rushers under the age of 27 outside of Gruden (and hopefully Jax- send Yannick to Philly!)

Edited by Jeezla

31 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Let's be real - Joe Douglas knows how to be a GM. Bill O'Brien does not. THAT'S why Adams went for what he did and Hopkins went for what he did.

In an alternate universe, Adams for Hopkins straight up wouldn't have been too much of a stretch for fans to buy into in terms of value. Neither team would have won or lost, both teams would have walked away better than they were before - Sam Darnold would get an elite WR with a huge catch radius and reliable track record of working with any sort of QB (only QB who couldn't unleash Nuk was Osweiler) and the Texans back end would get a multi tool weapon that would form an incredible tandem with Justin Reid - that late 20s pass defense would improve in a hurry. Sure, the Jets D and Texans O would take hits, but the improvement on the other side of the ball would make up for it. 

But alas, the Texans are stuck with Blacklock and David Johnson, the Jets got a significant amount of picks and Hopkins/Adams will now play 2x a season (which will be fun to watch).

I'm... *sigh* I'm sure there's not going to be some buyers' remorse on that one.

• Like 3

Just from a Seattle perspective why this makes sense:

1. Thats too much value given up

As stated before, two mid 20's FRP do not get you anywhere close to netting a draft day trade for a top 6 pick. In fact two FRP + 3rd would be a tough sell. A Russell Wilson lead Seattle team has never been in a position to grab top 6 talent. Plus, the 2021 draft is going to be a pure crap shoot, since the CFB season is in serious doubt of even happening, so those 2021 picks have a big dent value wise. 

2. Adams will be expensive. 

Seattle has some serious cash to blow in 2022 (when Adams extension presumably will kick in). As of now (pending Carson-Shaq extensions) Seattle only has Wilson and Wagner as financial commitments.  Jason Myers (5.0) and LJ Collier (3.4) are the 3rd and 4th highest cap hits. Further more, Seattle could free up 17+ million by moving Wagners contract. If thats the plan, then Seattle needed to bring in a potential defense leader, which Adams looks poised to become. This along with Drafting Jordyn Brooks in the 1st round, point to Wagner being potentially moved in 2022. 

3. Adams doesnt move the needle.

Seattle still has the resources available to bring back Clowney. The passrush might still be an enigma, but it wasnt like Seattle DIDNT address it. Mayowa, Irvin, D. Taylor, A Robinson were all brought in to shore up the edge rush. Anyone who watched the Seahawks last year knows how teams exploited the defense. Teams attacked the edges, stretching the defense out in the run game. And teams ate up the soft underneath coverage of Seattles base defense through short-intermediate passing and screens to the RB and WR's. Late in the season Tyler Higbee and Deebo Samuel took this defense's lunch money exploiting those weakness. Adams has the ability at the SS position to cut down on teams ability to do both. With Diggs locked into the single high, Adams will be left to play downhill and terrorize the short and intermediate zones, ala Kam Chancellor. Adams is the exact type of player that can help plug many of Seattles weaknesses in their base scheme. Also Seattles season ended because Seattle didnt have the talent at SS to properly bracket Devonte Adams work from the slot. I dont understand why people think Seattle isnt on the cusp of another title run? Seattle was 10-2 with one of the most crowded IR's in the NFL, finishing 11-5. They held the Ravens offense to 16 points. They were 1 yard away from sweeping the 49ers. Seattle is a better team in 2020 with Adams, then without.

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 2

Seahawks blitzed 27% of their snaps last year, Jets blitzed 39%. Early in the season Jets were forced to play a lot of Cover 2 because our Corners were terrible. Adams was neutralized because of that, was always a concern of mine with him because he’s not as effective dropping back, he’s an attacker. 

Carroll has to let him loose to justify the acquisition, no one knows if he will however. 

If it’s trail Kittle all game, bracket Adams, cover McCaffrey out the backfield then I’m not sure how that’s going to work. 

If it’s shoot the A gap or B gap and wreck the pocket or come off the edge and get around a tackle or play robber and react to anything in your area. 

Im interested in seeing how Carroll does this. 

The two firsts (barring injury) are LATE 1sts.. it's not like the Bears that gave up for Khalil Mack when they were barely a playoff contender... and even then their playoff run was short lived. Seattle is routinely a playoff contender and with Adams a Super Bowl contender. Hell if all their runningbacks and half the OLINE didn't get injured last year (in addition to basically ALL their tight ends) they'd likely have won the division, claimed HFA, and probably won the Super Bowl. 

This can HARDLY be compared to the Mack trade in terms of value. 

As for the Jets... nice... way to support your team while you have a CHEAP QB (who I guess is seeing more ghosts?) with one of the best safeties in the game and EASILY the best tackler on your team who is also a great blitzer. I think it's VERY obvious that the Jets are going to fire Gase after this year, cut Darnold... and try and rebuild (AGAIN) with the ammo from the Hawks trade. 

D for the Jets, B for the Seahawks. The trade just means the Jets are going to take another 3-4 years to do anything relevant while Seattle competes for a Super Bowl now... you got what is likely going to be two late 1st picks in the time during COVID (which means more uncertainty around picks). I don't view this as a positive for the Jets at all. 

Edited by NFL_Announcer

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, a day later Diggs went for two firsts to Buffalo, you cannot tell me that the best offer on the table for DHop was a 2nd and 4th. I believe BoB didn't want to ship him to the AFC, at least thats what I read on the twittersphere.

In an ideal world we trade DHop for Pat Pete and a 5th. Hasn't played particularly the best in the past few seasons but we need to cover holes in our secondary.

Edited by Drained

1 minute ago, Drained said:

I mean, a day later Diggs went for two firsts to Buffalo, you cannot tell me that the best offer on the table for DHop was a 2nd and 4th. I believe BoB didn't want to ship him to the AFC, at least thats what I read on the twittersphere.

In an ideal world we trade DHop for Pat Pete and a 5th. Hasn't played particularly the best in the past few seasons but we need to cover holds in our secondary.

"The Buffalo Bills acquired the Vikings receiver and a 2020 seventh-round pick in exchange for a 2020 first-round pick (No. 22 overall), a 2020 fifth-round pick, a 2020 sixth-round pick and a 2021 fourth-round pick, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Monday. Fox Sports first reported the news."

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-acquire-wr-stefon-diggs-from-vikings-in-trade-0ap3000001106563

Just now, perrynoid said:

"The Buffalo Bills acquired the Vikings receiver and a 2020 seventh-round pick in exchange for a 2020 first-round pick (No. 22 overall), a 2020 fifth-round pick, a 2020 sixth-round pick and a 2021 fourth-round pick, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Monday. Fox Sports first reported the news."

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-acquire-wr-stefon-diggs-from-vikings-in-trade-0ap3000001106563

I remember it being two firsts, I was wrong, it is still a significant haul for a receiver and really showcases how poorly BoB played it, especially as Diggs isn't at Hopkins level yet and Hop is a proven talent.

• Like 1