Jamal Adams traded to Seattle

August4th

5 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Bradley McDougald was actually really good a few years ago. Did he fall off a cliff or something? I mean, to get someone whom I consider to be a decent quality starting safety as WELL as multiple firsts and a third... That's a great trade! Especially when you managed to get that for someone who wanted out. Typically, teams don't get ANYTHING of note for guys who are trying to force a trade, aside from that Ramsey deal.

I stated this already. 

Don't have time to read through 23 pages but here's my thoughts on the trade from both sides: 

For the Jets, it's an excellent return. Frankly, an unprecedented return for a player who essentially serves two of the least valuable positions in football (SS and OLB). The two 1sts will undoubtedly be late, but it's still two 1sts. Also, just a week or two ago I mentioned Bradley McDougald as one of the most underrated players in the NFL. The dude can flat out play. Very trustworthy, heads-up, versatile safety. Douglas knew he had leverage and demanded a treasure chest to part with his young All-Pro safety. 

For the Seahawks, it's a swing for the fences to legitimately continue pursuing titles. Is it an overpay by conventional standards? Sure. But Adams was the 6th overall pick and has only since proven to be one of the best young players in the league. If you assume that the two 1sts will be in the late 20s/early 30s, you wouldn't be able to trade both of those picks to move up to #6 overall (and that's for an unknown commodity). Pete Carroll is a secondary coach at heart and has a track record for extracting the best possible play out of that position group, so if he and John valued Jamal Adams this high, I'm incredibly excited to see where they think his potential ceiling is at. 

I'm hoping this means two things for our defense. First, I want to see a lot of 3 safety packages where Adams essentially serves as an OLB. We need to get both Diggs and Blair on the field in spite of this move. Second, the theme between acquiring Adams and drafting Jordyn Brooks is getting players who can A) shut down the run and B) blitz the QB at a very efficient rate; so I would love for us to become a more aggressive blitzing unit and not rely on our previous vanilla schemes. 

It's obviously more than I ever would have predicted Adams being worth in a trade, but I struggle to complain about being on the end that is acquiring a 24-year-old All-Pro with the versatility that Adams provides. Some will say it's not fair to use past selections as predictors of the future, but I would literally trade any 2 of our 1st round picks since John Schneider's first season for Jamal Adams. I'll worry about missing out on another Germain Ifedi, Malik McDowell, LJ Collier, Rashad Penny, etc. another day. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Well, yeah, because those first rounders would be in the top 10 if the picks were reversed.

And the Jets are far from 1 piece away from being legitimate contenders. You could argue Seattle -- especially on the defensive side of the ball -- was 1 piece away. 

I'll also add that with Jamal agreeing to play 2020 on his rookie salary and the Seahawks just releasing Joey Hunt & Branden Jackson to free up over $4mill, we actually have more available cap space than we had this time last week. 

If you're hoping this move takes us out of the running for Clowney or Everson like I've seen reported, I say not so fast my friend. 

Terribly unfortunate what's going on with Quinton Dunbar, because this was shaping up as an elite secondary. 

8 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

And the Jets are far from 1 piece away from being legitimate contenders. You could argue Seattle -- especially on the defensive side of the ball -- was 1 piece away. 

Exactly.  I really think this was a big win-win for both teams given their current situations.

5 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Terribly unfortunate what's going on with Quinton Dunbar, because this was shaping up as an elite secondary. 

At least it looks like the team in DC finally won a trade for once. 😉

22 hours ago, NFL_Announcer said:

The two firsts (barring injury) are LATE 1sts.. it's not like the Bears that gave up for Khalil Mack when they were barely a playoff contender... and even then their playoff run was short lived. Seattle is routinely a playoff contender and with Adams a Super Bowl contender. Hell if all their runningbacks and half the OLINE didn't get injured last year (in addition to basically ALL their tight ends) they'd likely have won the division, claimed HFA, and probably won the Super Bowl. 

This can HARDLY be compared to the Mack trade in terms of value. 

As for the Jets... nice... way to support your team while you have a CHEAP QB (who I guess is seeing more ghosts?) with one of the best safeties in the game and EASILY the best tackler on your team who is also a great blitzer. I think it's VERY obvious that the Jets are going to fire Gase after this year, cut Darnold... and try and rebuild (AGAIN) with the ammo from the Hawks trade. 

D for the Jets, B for the Seahawks. The trade just means the Jets are going to take another 3-4 years to do anything relevant while Seattle competes for a Super Bowl now... you got what is likely going to be two late 1st picks in the time during COVID (which means more uncertainty around picks). I don't view this as a positive for the Jets at all. 

because a strong safety with average coverage ability is a game changer.  

7 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

He's shown he's competent, but can he change the culture of the Jets? I have zero faith in Gase, and expect another mediocre year from the Jets as their talent level isn't nearly enough to compensate for underwhelming coaching. 

Douglas's true test will be- will he fire Gase if it becomes obvious he isn't the right guy? Then, of course, you have Darnold- who once again is put in a less-than-ideal situation. If he doesn't take a big leap next year and the team finishes 7-9; does Douglas move on? How long is the leash? It's also not ideal to have your young (potential) franchise QB go through 3 different coaching schemes in 3-4 years. 

This is where the Jets always trip over themselves. They try to rebuild (or retool), the rebuild (retool) doesn't come to fruition, players don't reach their full potential...rinse and repeat. I understand this isn't Douglas's fault, but he may fall victim to his predecessors mistakes. If the team doesn't progress then there will be pressure to rebuild again, which will likely take another 2-3 years before paying dividends. And unfortunately- in this league-  if a GM hasn't produced a winning season in his first 3-4 years, then he's canned.

Douglas set this team up well for a rebuild if they need to. The issue is- this team has been rebuilding for over a decade. Will ownership give him another couple of years to rebuild the squad if the team doesn't progress in the next two years? I feel like ownership is always going to hold that franchise back. There's no doubt that Douglas is the most competent GM they've had in a long time, so his leash should be longer. 

Douglas can't fire Gase.  Both the HC and the GM report to Chris Johnson.  Probably Woody Johnson when he returns from his ambassador position in January, assuming Trump gets booted.  The Jets have a really f-'d-up management hierarchy.  It never works as GM and HC ALWAYS wind up adversaries with this kind of set-up.  Woody and Chris Johnson haven't a clue hot to structure the management of the team. And therein lies the cause for the systemic dysfunction in the Jets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't think I'll go that far - and I like Seattle as well. It's moreso to do about the quality of that division lately. San Francisco and Los Angeles both improved, Arizona has an offense that might be one of the most potent in the league - this division is going to be a warzone.

I'll say that whoever wins this division will be in the NFCCG. 

That’s all true and I see why a lot of people are in this boat, but my logic is that IMO the best, (or said another way) most consistent coach in the division is Pete Carrol. For the last couple years it can be argued that outside of Wilson their talent has been... underwhelming, yet the on field product due to Wilson and Carrol has been playoff caliber.

Just how Derwin James was a transformative element for that Chargers defense when he was in the lineup and Minkah Fitzpatrick was transformative for the Steelers; I think Adams (outside of significant injury of course) is going to elevate the Seahawks defense. They’ve already been consistently one of the best teams in that division year in and year out, something the Rams and 49ers can’t necessarily claim... but now I think this trade closes the talent gap independent of Wilson.

While the 49ers, Rams, and Cardinals all have quality teams... I can see scenarios where all of them underperform and it wouldn’t “shock” me. Pair Wilson with what has the makings of a top 10 defensive unit and I see few scenarios where they fail let alone are topped by their divisional opponents. But I suppose I’m also not quite as high on their divisional opposition; I see the 49ers and Rams both as very well coached and talented units that fall into that 8-8/10-6 range. Cardinals I see as 7-9/9-7.

I see a three way race between the other teams with Seattle in front, especially if they’re able to resign Clowney. In such a scenario I see the Seahawks with a stone cold divisional advantage and would predict them to be a 12-14 win team... assuming we have a full season (which I don’t actually expect, but still).

Edited by diamondbull424

52 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

can you? Can you really? Even with Adams their secondary isnt great (im assuming dunabr misses some time), they have a really bad pass rush (on paper) and some have said their best LB has started to show decline. seems like a while lot more than one piece is needed on defense.

19 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

can you? Can you really? Even with Adams their secondary isnt great (im assuming dunabr misses some time), they have a really bad pass rush (on paper) and some have said their best LB has started to show decline. seems like a while lot more than one piece is needed on defense.

Umm ya, one could argue it pretty easily lol. 

We were literally centimeters away from beating the Super Bowl bound 49ers for the West title last year. Since then we’ve upgraded our TE room to include Greg Olsen and a soon-to-be healthy Will Dissly. We’ve added a 1st round ILB who’s been compared to Wagner. Even if Dunbar doesn’t play, we return a Pro Bowl CB on one side and a league average (at worst) #2 CB in Tre Flowers. We made an objective upgrade at RT and have added really competitive depth to both our RB and DL rooms. All that, and we still have room to sign one more prized pass rusher. 

Not to mention that Russell Wilson guy is still around. If you want to bet against him with an improved supporting cast, be my guest. The defense doesn’t need to be top 5 for this team to be a major threat. 

Where we struggled most last year was stopping outside runs, generating pressure on the QB, and defending the short zone; all of which Adams excels at. 

1 minute ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Not to mention that Russell Wilson guy is still around. If you want to bet against him with an improved supporting cast, be my guest. The defense doesn’t need to be top 5 for this team to be a major threat. 

That's why I think the Seahawks will always come out well on trades like this. Wilson makes them a contender alone, so anything else is just gravy.

Not to mention, Adams is a drive killer. He generates sacks, he causes fumbles, and he's clutch in those 4th down situations; putting the ball back in Wilson's hands and giving them more opportunities to score.

I really wanted Adams to stay, but it was an impossible situation. Hopefully we can draft another stud who is as fun to watch as Adams with these picks.

14 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Umm ya, one could argue it pretty easily lol. 

We were literally centimeters away from beating the Super Bowl bound 49ers for the West title last year. Since then we’ve upgraded our TE room to include Greg Olsen and a soon-to-be healthy Will Dissly. We’ve added a 1st round ILB who’s been compared to Wagner. Even if Dunbar doesn’t play, we return a Pro Bowl CB on one side and a league average (at worst) #2 CB in Tre Flowers. We made an objective upgrade at RT and have added really competitive depth to both our RB and DL rooms. All that, and we still have room to sign one more prized pass rusher. 

Where we struggled most last year was stopping outside runs, generating pressure on the QB, and defending the short zone; all of which Adams excels at. 

you said defense specifically, so i was replying to that. Lets continue to assume dunbar misses some time, which seems likely. Having one, what, top 20-25 corner and one sevicable one will not cut it. whose going to be the nickel guy for at least say... 6 games minimum? 

Again, pass rush is bad, supposedly wagner has shown decline, and the secondary is questionable. That defense has a decent chance of not being very good. Heck, you just said its a good thing adams generates pressure to help eith the pass rush... you realize thats a safety your talking about, right?