Jamal Adams traded to Seattle

August4th

1 hour ago, dcat said:

Douglas can't fire Gase.  Both the HC and the GM report to Chris Johnson.  Probably Woody Johnson when he returns from his ambassador position in January, assuming Trump gets booted.  The Jets have a really f-'d-up management hierarchy.  It never works as GM and HC ALWAYS wind up adversaries with this kind of set-up.  Woody and Chris Johnson haven't a clue hot to structure the management of the team. And therein lies the cause for the systemic dysfunction in the Jets.

Damn, Douglas seems legit, too. I guess it all relies on Gase becoming a competent coach.

16 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

you said defense specifically, so i was replying to that. Lets continue to assume dunbar misses some time, which seems likely. Having one, what, top 20-25 corner and one sevicable one will not cut it. whose going to be the nickel guy for at least say... 6 games minimum? 

Again, pass rush is bad, supposedly wagner has shown decline, and the secondary is questionable. That defense has a decent chance of not being very good. Heck, you just said its a good thing adams generates pressure to help eith the pass rush... you realize thats a safety your talking about, right?

And I specified defense because any improvements on offense would be somewhat marginal. A splash add like Adams can make a big difference on our defense from a year ago. 

Without Clowney, our top 4 edge rushers will be new players on the team. Of the 2 who played in the NFL last year, they both more than doubled Clowneys sack output individually. We’ll also have a healthy 1st round LJ Collier who missed most of 2020 and a healthy Jarran Reed who posted 10.5 sacks the year prior. 

For the secondary, Shaq was objectively a top 10 CB last year. Quandre Diggs was exceptional operating as a midseason addition. Pete got a lot of flack last year for not giving FS Marquise Blair and Nickel CB Ugo Amadi more PT last year considering their effectiveness, so there’s still loads of untapped potential on the roster on a team known for developing secondary talent. Oh and now you add arguably the best SS in the game to that unit. 

Bobby is not the DPOY candidate he recently was, but that’s exactly why we added a 1st round ILB to that group. 

You can ask most familiar with me in the Seahawks forum, I am traditionally a skeptic pessimist, but I expect big improvements from this defense now with or without Clowney. 

33 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

you said defense specifically, so i was replying to that. Lets continue to assume dunbar misses some time, which seems likely. Having one, what, top 20-25 corner and one sevicable one will not cut it. whose going to be the nickel guy for at least say... 6 games minimum? 

Again, pass rush is bad, supposedly wagner has shown decline, and the secondary is questionable. That defense has a decent chance of not being very good. Heck, you just said its a good thing adams generates pressure to help eith the pass rush... you realize thats a safety your talking about, right?

The ignorance.

Shaq Griffin was a pro bowler last year. 

Quandre Diggs is a legit single high FS

Tre Flowers has been an improving boundary corner; day one starter since his rookie year

Quinton Dunbar is still technically eligible

Marquis Blair was a second round pick in 2019, and flashed true play making in the two games he started

Ugo Amadi was a 2019  draft pick that ended up starting by the time the playoffs rolled around. 

It was going to be the strength of the defense BEFORE adding Adams. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, animaltested said:

The ignorance.

Shaq Griffin was a pro bowler last year. 

Quandre Diggs is a legit single high FS

Tre Flowers has been an improving boundary corner; day one starter since his rookie year

Quinton Dunbar is still technically eligible

Marquis Blair was a second round pick in 2019, and flashed true play making in the two games he started

Ugo Amadi was a 2019  draft pick that ended up starting by the time the playoffs rolled around. 

It was going to be the strength of the defense BEFORE adding Adams. 

its not ignorance, Im well aware of their secondary. 

Griffin is a good nfl corner, i dont think the probowl holds a lot of weight anymore and its iffy if he should be your #1 guy. Another year like last year and then sure. 

Tre Flowers... not very good. 

Diggs is a good safety

Dunbar will almost certainly miss time

The other guys can flash and have promise but its far from a given. Corner depth specifically is very suspect. It why i said the secondary is questionable and not bad. If guys develop then it can be good, if they dont or the guys who only flashed dont produce then it can be pretty bad. regardless, its certainly not one player away.

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

And I specified defense because any improvements on offense would be somewhat marginal. A splash add like Adams can make a big difference on our defense from a year ago. 

Without Clowney, our top 4 edge rushers will be new players on the team. Of the 2 who played in the NFL last year, they both more than doubled Clowneys sack output individually. We’ll also have a healthy 1st round LJ Collier who missed most of 2020 and a healthy Jarran Reed who posted 10.5 sacks the year prior. 

For the secondary, Shaq was objectively a top 10 CB last year. Quandre Diggs was exceptional operating as a midseason addition. Pete got a lot of flack last year for not giving FS Marquise Blair and Nickel CB Ugo Amadi more PT last year considering their effectiveness, so there’s still loads of untapped potential on the roster on a team known for developing secondary talent. Oh and now you add arguably the best SS in the game to that unit. 

Bobby is not the DPOY candidate he recently was, but that’s exactly why we added a 1st round ILB to that group. 

You can ask most familiar with me in the Seahawks forum, I am traditionally a skeptic pessimist, but I expect big improvements from this defense now with or without Clowney. 

i already posted about the secondary but in regards to the pass rush and lbs... your repsonse even shows its full of questions. Jarran Reed has one season above 2 sacks, i wouldnt pencil him in as a given about anything. Collier did very, very little his rookie year. Bruce Irvin is close to 33 much more of a complimetary piece then someone you want to count on. I get guys dealt with injuries, and maybe some older guys can produce for another year, or even a handful of games... but theres tons of questions. 

Wagner is a fantastic lb, i dont know if hes regress but saying you drafted a first round lb is no where near a lock to actually be good, especially considering he was a slight reach.

i dont have a dog in this race, it just jumped out when it was said teh defense was one player away. Im not saying seattle wont be good or even the defense cant be good just that on paper, the defense looks pretty average.

On 7/26/2020 at 7:34 AM, Gmen said:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-while-not-the-best-safety-in-the-2020-draft-class-xavier-mckinney-still-projects-as-a-good-prospect

"McKinney played everywhere for the Crimson tide — 323 snaps in the box, 227 in the slot and 271 deep."

If that's what they were looking for, could've just taken Xavier McKinney in the first round instead of Jordyn Brooks.

But then they wouldnt have Jordyn Brooks...? also McKinney isnt Jamal Adams. 

Seattle gets a lot out of guys that are less talented. Carrol is a great DB coach for sure. He fits perfectly with their type of athlete and their identity. Their secondary is going to be very good next year. Their pass rush was poor last year and I dont see any reason why it will improve this year. Their DL is not what it once was. Their defense has its faults but it is on the way to being really good again, unfortunately. 

There is a reason seattle made the trade and its not because they dont value FRPs, they know the value they are getting back from adams. He is going to be there for a long time you would think. 

If the 49ers didnt have one of the two best offensive coaches in the NFL calling plays, I would be more concerned about their defense. Wilson has been the 49er killer over the past 3 seasons. 49ers Seahawks is the best rivalry in the NFL, change my mind

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah, disagree with Seattle being a piece away defensively. They’re not a talentless squad, but I think before the Adams trade you’d probably argue them as right around average on paper.  

Know that I'm only quoting you because you were last in a string of posts saying the same thing. Not saying any of this directly toward you necessarily. 

They were the 18th ranked defense in football last year by DVOA (22nd by points allowed) so they were already a middle-third defense last year. Maybe it's my assumption that we still end up with either Clowney or Everson that's playing a role in my thinking, but I don't see a way that this defense gets worse with the pieces we've added / will be available for a full season. 

The moral of my point is that the Seahawks don't need a top 5 defense to be Super Bowl contenders with Russell Wilson at this stage of his career. We really only need to be top 15, and I do think Adams provides us with that. 

22 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Know that I'm only quoting you because you were last in a string of posts saying the same thing. Not saying any of this directly toward you necessarily. 

They were the 18th ranked defense in football last year by DVOA (22nd by points allowed) so they were already a middle-third defense last year. Maybe it's my assumption that we still end up with either Clowney or Everson that's playing a role in my thinking, but I don't see a way that this defense gets worse with the pieces we've added / will be available for a full season. 

The moral of my point is that the Seahawks don't need a top 5 defense to be Super Bowl contenders with Russell Wilson at this stage of his career. We really only need to be top 15, and I do think Adams provides us with that. 

That defense goes as the D-Line does though. They haven’t address that from what we know well enough. 

12 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Virtually every metric available indicates Adams is far better than average in coverage. 

2 INTs in 3 years.

Both against back up QBs (Stidham + Cassell) in complete garbage time.

Average PD #'s at best.

Takes wrong angles constantly

Adams does not excel in coverage.  

• Like 1

Adams is a fantastic player no need for Jets fans to try and down play that aspect.  I do think I'd have made this trade 9 times out of 10 even if he wasn't a headache.

Adams is a complete narcissist both on and off the field.  There is a reason you haven't seen one ex player wish him well.  Let that sink in for a min.

Jets made a great trade and one that given how JD maneuvered his first draft should give hope that possibly as early as next year this Jets team will be in a great position.

I love JD coming out basically calling Adams a lier in his interview.  Just goes to show you what type of person Adams is when you have to year other people down to get what you want.  Will miss his play but good riddance as a so called leader in the locker room.