Safety Jamal Adams traded to Seattle

RaidersAreOne

I don't know how other people here feel, but I love this.  I don't care about draft picks, I'd always rather have the elite player.

The Bears were 5-11 when they traded two first rounders for Khalil Mack.  The Colts were coming off a losing season when they traded the 13th overall pick for DeForest Buckner.  I know those are defensive linemen/a linebacker, but they're both elite at what they do.

Give me an elite player at their position over draft picks in the 27-32 range any day, any time.

• Like 1

I wanted this guy from the moment I heard he was on the trade block. Deal might be a little steep, but time will tell that. Jokes aside...if we traded Penny and Collier for him, no Hawks fan would care.

With that said, I'm kinda terrified about the defense without a pass rush, and now probably with very little cap to work with. This team would have been DOA last year if not for a last minute Texan's "GM" blunder and gifting us Clowney. It's looking that we need something like that to happen again. I'm sure our secondary could be great but we are going nowhere without multiple upgrades at pass rush.

16 hours ago, Fidgit said:

I wanted this guy from the moment I heard he was on the trade block. Deal might be a little steep, but time will tell that. Jokes aside...if we traded Penny and Collier for him, no Hawks fan would care.

With that said, I'm kinda terrified about the defense without a pass rush, and now probably with very little cap to work with. This team would have been DOA last year if not for a last minute Texan's "GM" blunder and gifting us Clowney. It's looking that we need something like that to happen again. I'm sure our secondary could be great but we are going nowhere without multiple upgrades at pass rush.

Well... Reed wont have the suspension, Irvin and Mayowa were brought in, we drafted Brooks, Collier is hopefully back and healthy... and don't forget Jamal Adams is probably the best tackling/blitzing safety in the NFL. 

Yes it sucks to lose Clowney, but Seattle has made quite a few moves to replace. And during our Super Bowl run we never had by any means an ELITE edge defender. Clemons/Avril were GREAT pass rushers but NOT the best run defenders (potentially Mayowa/Irvin) and hopefully Collier/Green can fill the void of Bennett (which is what I believe they were drafted for).

Edited by NFL_Announcer

For the Seahawks, it's a swing for the fences to legitimately continue pursuing titles. Is it an overpay by conventional standards? Sure. But Adams was the 6th overall pick and has only since proven to be one of the best young players in the league. If you assume that the two 1sts will be in the late 20s/early 30s, you wouldn't be able to trade both of those picks to move up to #6 overall (and that's for an unknown commodity). Pete Carroll is a secondary coach at heart and has a track record for extracting the best possible play out of that position group, so if he and John valued Jamal Adams this high, I'm incredibly excited to see where they think his potential ceiling is at. 

I'm hoping this means two things for our defense. First, I want to see a lot of 3 safety packages where Adams essentially serves as an OLB. We need to get both Diggs and Blair on the field in spite of this move. Second, the theme between acquiring Adams and drafting Jordyn Brooks is getting players who can A) shut down the run and B) blitz the QB at a very efficient rate; so I would love for us to become a more aggressive blitzing unit and not rely on our previous vanilla schemes. 

It's obviously more than I ever would have predicted Adams being worth in a trade, but I struggle to complain about being on the end that is acquiring a 24-year-old All-Pro with the versatility that Adams provides. Some will say it's not fair to use past selections as predictors of the future, but I would literally trade any 2 of our 1st round picks since John Schneider's first season for Jamal Adams. I'll worry about missing out on another Germain Ifedi, Malik McDowell, LJ Collier, Rashad Penny, etc. another day. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NFL_Announcer said:

Yes it sucks to lose Clowney, but Seattle has made quite a few moves to replace. And during our Super Bowl run we never had by any means an ELITE edge defender. Clemons/Avril were GREAT pass rushers but NOT the best run defenders (potentially Mayowa/Irvin) and hopefully Collier/Green can fill the void of Bennett (which is what I believe they were drafted for).

Adams has agreed to play on his rookie salary this season and we just freed up over $4mil by releasing Joey Hunt and Branden Jackson. We actually have more money to afford Clowney or Everson than we did last week. I fully expect us to still add a pass rusher despite this trade. 

• Like 2

The more I see on Adams, the more I love this trade.  He seems to be much more than just a 'safety.'  He's awesome behind the line of scrimmage whether that's applying pressure on the QB or making tackles for loss.  He makes extremely quick decisions and he does a solid job in coverage.  Very smart player.

The only concern with him is his attitude issues that have been brought up over time.  Hopefully, Wilson, Carroll, Wagner, etc can keep that in check.

Something to look forward to, IF there is a season. Seattle has used 3 safeties before, so the potential of having Blair Diggs and Adams on the field at the same time is really intriguing. Im hoping Pete/Kenny can find creative ways to use him all over the field. With this move, I really hope Seattle can somehow bring back Clowney. Shouldn't worry about the $$$ too much and just go for it.

Edited by animaltested

Also I noticed the 3rd - 4th pick swap is Seattles 2021 pick and the Jets 2022 pick. Seattle seems to be really concerned about the 2021 cap AND doesnt seem too interested in the 2021 draft. I think as it stands they only have their 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th round picks next year. Could see a scenario where Seattle essentially punts the 2021 draft and focuses on UDFA to fill out the the roster. IDK just a thought. 

Edited by animaltested