Official Notre Dame Thread

roysmyboy31

Officially this is Notre Dame's first unbeaten regular season in 30 years.

2012 no longer counts because of NCAA infractions, and a lot of media personalities who talk about ND lately fail to mention the fact they had to vacate wins in 2012 and 2013.

Hopefully we won't have to vacate our wins from this season.

• 2 weeks later...

We're facing Clemson in the Cotton Bowl.

This is a rare opportunity to see ND play an ACC team in a bowl game. Because of ND's affiliation with the ACC outside football, they have access to the ACC's minor bowls, thus a game like ND-Clemson cannot occur in a minor bowl, only in the New Year's Six. (It can happen in the Orange Bowl in non-semifinal years up to 2 times, and unlimited amount of times in the at-large bowls).

• 2 weeks later...

Notre Dame's title drought continues.

Because we are effectively our own conference, we have the longest national title drought out of all the collective memberships of the Power 5 conferences. Let's look at the other droughts for comparison:

ND: 30 years
Pac-12: 14 years
Big 12: 13 years
Big Ten: 4 years
ACC: 1 year (so far)
SEC: Alabama is defending champs

Since Alabama is facing Clemson, either Alabama will win 2 titles in a row, or Clemson will stop the ACC's title drought in its tracks.

The fact that ND's title drought is now at 30 years needs to be addressed somehow. I hear the Cincinnati Bengals need a new coach. Part of me is hoping they'll hire Brian Kelly away from us, which would open the door for a coach with experience winning the national title (preferably Jim Tressel) will come over. Urban Meyer is out as a candidate since he said he is done coaching forever (but three national titles and an effective mid-major national title isn't too bad for someone who coached for less than 20 years).

• 8 months later...

Tough loss to take.  Deja vu of coming close, but falling just short against a top team.  We did well overall tonight especially considering the talent disparity overall, but just once, I would like us to come out of these big games with a win.

Defense did as well as they could have.  Their performance was admirable.  They just got worn down at the end because our offense could not sustain a drive to save their lives.  Very strong in the first half and came up with some key stops in the 2nd half to give us a chance.

Offensively, we were awful no question outside of Kmet.  No threat of running with Armstrong and Jahmir Smith out and Book rarely attempted downfield throws and barely threw Claypool's way until it was well too late.

Doesn't completely ruin our playoff hopes, but it is a major uphill battle now.  Not likely to make it now.

Does not seem like we can ever have any consistent QB play under Brian Kelly.  We have never had a QB that was able to build on a good first year.  I think it is both the coaching not able to develop well and the staff not able to recruit well enough for the position.  Either way, it is a big flaw in the program.

Book panics at the first sight of pressure and makes some awful decisions when pressured.

• Like 1

We really strugled in the first half today, but bounced back nicely in the 2nd half.  Offense is still an issue.  Book has some flaws that are easy for other teams to exploit and we don't have great talent at RB.  Defense has taken over the game though.  Pass rush got after Perkins all game and we have a pretty good defensive unit.

Good opportunity next week to get right before two big rivalry games, home against USC and at Ann Arbor coming off a bye week.  Rest of the games should be "easy" wins.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Does not seem like we can ever have any consistent QB play under Brian Kelly.  We have never had a QB that was able to build on a good first year.  I think it is both the coaching not able to develop well and the staff not able to recruit well enough for the position.  Either way, it is a big flaw in the program.

Book panics at the first sight of pressure and makes some awful decisions when pressured.

There have got to be some former QBs, not just from Notre Dame, but other programs, that should be able to come in and bridge the communication gap.  Who has been coaching the QBs recently?  

17 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There have got to be some former QBs, not just from Notre Dame, but other programs, that should be able to come in and bridge the communication gap.  Who has been coaching the QBs recently?  

Former Notre Dame QB Tommy Rees was hired as QB coach in January 2017.  I would hope he would help because he always processed the game well, just did not have the physical tools necessary to be a better QB.

I do wish we recruited the position a little better.  I am holding out hope for Phil Jurkovec to be a good one, but Kelly loves playing upperclassmen, so it would take an utter collapse for Ian Book to not start this year.  Book should be able to do the job fine against the rest of the schedule besides maybe the Michigan game at Ann Arbor.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a tough game against our archrival tonight.  Rivalry games usually bring the intensity.  Certainly a closer game than I would like, but we did get the win bottomline and we get a bye before having to play in Ann Arbor against a very beatable Michigan team.

Ran for over 300 yards tonight and it did not seem to matter who was running it.  And we needed those yards as our passing game is not very good with Book throwing.  Wish we would see more of Claypool, who is a very good receiver.  Credit to Book for those big runs late though.  Our D really sagged in the 2nd half after a big time first half.  That was disappointing.  Slovis looked good against our secondary.  And some uncharacteristic missed tackles in the 2nd half.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No matter what the rules say, I will always consider ND to be the second-best ACC football team of 2019, even if we're not technically in the ACC for football which means the third-best team in the league got into the Orange Bowl.

And we've got a shot at revenge on Clemson in 2020. The game is being played in November too so Clemson will really have to worry about the weather then.

Heard that the Long firing was more due to he and the kids not really meshing well together.  Though his playcalling left much to be desired at times.  

Not a great bowl we wound up in, but it is a chance to pick up some extra practice and with a win build up more momentum in recruiting.

While ND is not at the level I would like them to be at yet, it has been impressive that we have had 3 straight 10+ win seasons and 4 of the last 5.