Official Notre Dame Thread

roysmyboy31

2 hours ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

I think you're going to need to throw the ball effectively to beat Miami. No reason you shouldn't be able to kill Miami with jump balls

That's actually what Miami wants them to do.... If ND is throwing more then it means their run game isn't working. Also your 2nd sentence makes no sense.... 

13 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

That's actually what Miami wants them to do.... If ND is throwing more then it means their run game isn't working. Also your 2nd sentence makes no sense.... 

I think Miami has to sell out to stop the run and your corners get beat with jump balls to NDs huge WRs

1 hour ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

I think Miami has to sell out to stop the run and your corners get beat with jump balls to NDs huge WRs

we've got quality corners who have played well against big receivers before. stopping ND's run game will be the much harder task imo

• 2 weeks later...

We should stop playing Navy. It was more fun when we were beating them every year. Navy was the one team we could count on beating every year and we haven't had that guaranteed win for 10 years now. Let's schedule some other American team every year, like Tulane.

Edited by pf9

We won, but it was a lot harder than it should have been.  Seems like the typical ND-Navy game nowadays unfortunately.  Given our size advantage and talent disparity, there is really no reason for this game to be close on such a frequent basis.  Stanford will beat us if we play like that next week.  Tackling could be a lot better on the defensive end and Wimbush, though he picked it up a little later, might never be a consistent passer.  Hopefully, ESB is OK.

6 hours ago, pf9 said:

We should stop playing Navy. It was more fun when we were beating them every year. Navy was the one team we could count on beating every year and we haven't had that guaranteed win for 10 years now. Let's schedule some other American team every year, like Tulane.

Maybe we should schedule Mercer or The Citadel like these powerhouse teams do. 

I read somewhere a couple years ago (not sure where now) that there are only 3 FBS teams that don't ever schedule any FCS teams... USC, UCLA, and Notre Dame. Pretty proud of that tbh.

4 hours ago, roysmyboy31 said:

We won, but it was a lot harder than it should have been.  Seems like the typical ND-Navy game nowadays unfortunately.  Given our size advantage and talent disparity, there is really no reason for this game to be close on such a frequent basis.  Stanford will beat us if we play like that next week.  Tackling could be a lot better on the defensive end and Wimbush, though he picked it up a little later, might never be a consistent passer.  Hopefully, ESB is OK.

I have to wonder if there were 2 factors in our effort this week:

1. Still have the loss to Miami last week in our heads.

2. Looking ahead to Stanford. 

But you're right, it's pretty typical of the ND-Navy games these days. I thought this one would be different since we had been beating teams pretty handily, even good teams, but nope. Same ol' same ol'... 

On 11/18/2017 at 8:24 PM, BigBillsFan13 said:

I have to wonder if there were 2 factors in our effort this week:

1. Still have the loss to Miami last week in our heads.

2. Looking ahead to Stanford. 

But you're right, it's pretty typical of the ND-Navy games these days. I thought this one would be different since we had been beating teams pretty handily, even good teams, but nope. Same ol' same ol'... 

Navy isn't an easy win for any team, which is why teams like Alabama steer clear of them. They have great coaching and players who can run the triple-option system in their sleep. They're beatable, to be sure -- but no defense will be able to take them lightly.

The real reason this game was close was because Wimbush was struggling in the first half. He had wide-open receivers and easy passes that he completely overthrew. Against Navy, the offense has to score on their defense every single drive because the Navy offense can eat clock like few other offenses can. If Wimbush had been on point from the start, this game probably would have been in the bag by the beginning of the 4th.