Official Notre Dame Thread

roysmyboy31

Yeah, not too much to complain about at this point.  Just don't want to get too high at this point.  Defense looks worlds better too, though it's hard to be as incompetent as Van Gorder defenses were.  It does help the O out a lot by reducing the pressure on them to score almost every drive.

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:15 PM, roysmyboy31 said:

Yeah, not too much to complain about at this point.  Just don't want to get too high at this point.  Defense looks worlds better too, though it's hard to be as incompetent as Van Gorder defenses were.  It does help the O out a lot by reducing the pressure on them to score almost every drive.

It's been a pretty good season so far. That GA loss isn't looking too bad at all. We still have some tough games on the schedule, but if Wimbush could be a bit more consistent passing the ball, I like their chances.

How has Jordan Genmark-Heath played so far? As a fellow Swede I'm curious about his development. I checked the stats at ESPN and saw that he had registered tackles in all games. Since he is a freshman is he playing special teams only? Or does he get snaps with the defense as well?

43 minutes ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Random question: Is ND football not allowed to play 13 games because they're Independent?

I've always thought they should, but IDK what college rules are concerning Independent teams and 13 games.....

12 games is the amount of games every team plays in the regular season (with a few exceptions sometimes).  Additional games come in the form of conference championships and bowl games.  Since we are not in a conference, the only time we play more than 12 is if we're in a bowl.

Another great effort on the ground.  Adams seems to break at least one huge run a week.  Book was OK, though he was better in the beginning.  Hopefully, Wimbush will be back for USC because we'll need him (particularly his legs) if we are to win in 2 weeks.  Defense looked excellent.

1st half of the season did not have much challenges outside of UGA, where we lost by one.  2nd half of the season is where we show what type of team we really are.  USC should be our toughest test of the year and we have it at home and coming off a bye.  After that, we have NC State (who's a really good team) and Wake at home, then Miami on the road, then finish with NAvy at home and @ Stanford.  I'll be impressed if we go over .500 ball with that slate.

On 10/7/2017 at 5:12 PM, roysmyboy31 said:

Another great effort on the ground.  Adams seems to break at least one huge run a week.  Book was OK, though he was better in the beginning.  Hopefully, Wimbush will be back for USC because we'll need him (particularly his legs) if we are to win in 2 weeks.  Defense looked excellent.

1st half of the season did not have much challenges outside of UGA, where we lost by one.  2nd half of the season is where we show what type of team we really are.  USC should be our toughest test of the year and we have it at home and coming off a bye.  After that, we have NC State (who's a really good team) and Wake at home, then Miami on the road, then finish with NAvy at home and @ Stanford.  I'll be impressed if we go over .500 ball with that slate.

The one thing that keeps me positive about the second 1/2 of the season is what I stated before about how this team is different than in years past. Before this year, I'd be concerned about every single remaining game, as we've regularly played down to lower opponents in the past. This year we seem to have figured it out, and we're soundly beating teams that we should soundly beat (including MSU, which may end up being a huge win). The USC game will be very tough, NC State, Miami, and Stanford will be tough, but Wake and Navy should be the closest thing to guaranteed wins as possible. Last year I'd be worried about those games. I think at worst we go 4-2 in the second half, putting us at 9-3 on the year which I'd be happy with.

I'll be interested to see how we utilize the bye week to game plan for USC. We really need to get our defensive secondary ready for Darnold. Just saw that Miami RB Mark Walton (their leading rusher) is out for the year. Not really sure how much that will help us though, as our run D is far better than our pass D, and they'll most likely throw against us quite a bit.

I think I pinpointed the reason for ND"s troubles since 1994.

In 1993, the movie Rudy came out, and it's about a famous ND player. That same year was the last year ND had a major bowl win, and their last consecutive 10-win seasons. Since then more less the program has gone on a downturn.

While the movie is one of my favorites (being an ND fan and all), I think it may have put a curse on the Irish. I'm not certain though.

On 10/10/2017 at 12:33 PM, pollino14 said:

Man, do I love watching this defense play. Haven't seen many defenses like this one in ND for a long time. After how bad they were last year, this coordinator has done a TREMENDOUS job. 

Helps to have a great coach on that side of the ball.  I think Elko has done well at getting the guys back to executing basic fundamentals and putting players in a position to utilize their strengths (such as putting Tranquill in the Rover position).  Also does not make things too complicated for players which means players can think less on the field and just play.

2 hours ago, pollino14 said:

How hot of a seat do you think BK has?? What does he have to do to keep/lose it?

If he losses to USC/Mia and Stan it better be it for him

How he navigates the 2nd half of the schedule will be very telling.  Coming from someone who has not been happy with Kelly recently, I'd be OK with a 9 win regular season.  Anything less and it is just the same old, same old.  In which case I would like to make a change.

Swarbrick seems to love him though, so I'm not sure what it would take from their end.

17 hours ago, roysmyboy31 said:

How he navigates the 2nd half of the schedule will be very telling.  Coming from someone who has not been happy with Kelly recently, I'd be OK with a 9 win regular season.  Anything less and it is just the same old, same old.  In which case I would like to make a change.

Swarbrick seems to love him though, so I'm not sure what it would take from their end.

I'm really on the fence with BK. I like him as a recruiter for sure.

I hate his melt-downs, and I never get the feeling where BK comes up with a great game-plan. I really don't/