Say PEAK Randy Moss is a 99/100 Rate your top 5 WRS

mdonnelly21

7 hours ago, mse326 said:

Do you rank on anything other than measurables?

I mainly rate players based on the eye test (i.e. how good a player is on film).  Measureables (i.e. physical tools) are just part of the eye test.  The more physically gifted a player is the more likely he is to impress me on tape.  Obviously there are outliers who test well physically but don't show it in games.  I don't care for those type of combine athletes.  I respect freak athletes who show it on the field in actual games.

Jerry Rice was the GOAT, and I really don't care what anyone else thinks about that, they're just wrong. Cut his career in half and he has over 100 TD and over 10,000 yards in an era where illegal contact wasn't a thing and QB's weren't really protected by the rules, thus inflating the passing game.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well, peak Moss 99;

Jones - 91

Hopkins - 89

Thomas - 86

Hill - 86

Evans - 84

You gotta remember what Moss was. Have you ever seen a WR combine his frightening speed with catch ability and athleticism since? Jones comes closest for me.

But I'm a harsh grader. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Some of these ratings for Michael Thomas are just...Yikes... 🤣

He's asked us to base it relative to Moss being a 99.

If it's against peers, then he's obviously like 96 or something, arguably the best player in his position

Edited by Hunter2_1

20 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He's asked us to base it relative to Moss being a 99.

If it's against peers, then he's obviously like 96 or something, arguably the best player in his position

Some of Thomas's ratings in this thread:

93 (Rated as 5th best WR currently)

80 (Rated as 7th best WR currently)

86 (Rated as 3rd best WR...Tied with Hill)

Those ratings are brutal lol

Edited by tyler735

On 7/28/2020 at 7:43 PM, VanS said:

Never saw Prime Jerry Rice play live.  Earliest NFL game I remember watching was the 97 Super Bowl between the Packers and Broncos.

Based on tape he would not be as high as Randy Moss.  But I will say I was incredibly impressed by Jerry Rice on the Raiders given his age.  If he was that good at 40 years old, then there is a chance he could be better than Randy Moss if both were in their primes.

The top WRs I've ever watched live are:

1. Randy Moss - 99

2. Terrell Owens - 98

3. Calvin Johnson - 98

Nobody else comes close to these 3.

I would largely agree, but would have space to slip in prime Antonio Brown as being 'close to' Moss and TO, and possibly rvrn level with Megatron. I started watching in the Raiders/Bucs SB season so never got to see prime Rice, but from what I've seen in highlights, documentaries, clips, etc Brown seems a very similar player in many ways. 

Not only his sheer numbers (averaging 110+ catches, 1500+ yards at 99.4yds/game and double digit touchdowns for six years), but the guy was just the smoothest receiver I can remember seeing, had that pop of pace that can really put a receiver over the top, was often times electric at making plays with the ball in his hands, and was just phenomenal at finding space when a play broke down. 

Had it not gone pear shaped, another 5 years of the production he had from 2013-18 followed by a 'graceful ageing' period of 2-3 years afterwards (very possible with his style of play) could very well have seen him surpass Jerry Rice for catches and yards (albeit in a more inflated era). 

*Edit - I'm leaving rice out entirely here since I'm talking about receivers I have seen play in their primes. Looking at numbers (esp relative to their eras), consistency, longevity and career successes it's very hard to argue against him being the GOAT. 

Edited by Billy86

On 7/28/2020 at 12:57 AM, VanS said:

If Moss is a 99 then no WR in today's game breaks the 90s.  We are currently in a down era for WR talent regardless of what the inflated receiving numbers say.  With that said, I would rate the top WRs in the league like this:

1. Julio Jones - 89

2. Odell Beckham Jr. - 88

3. Tyreek Hill - 84

4. Mike Evans - 83

5. Davante Adams - 81

6. Adam Thielen - 81

7. Mike Thomas - 80

8. DeAndre Hopkins - 80

9. Kenny Golladay - 79

10. Chris Godwin - 79

This list on the other hand, confuses me a little. Leaving out ODB being far too high in my opinion for a guy who hasn't cracked 80 catches, 1,100 yards or more than 6 TDs in any of the last 3 years, even as a Packers fan and Davante fanboy even when some GB fans weren't very hot on him, I don't understand his placing over Michael Thomas? They are very similar in a lot of ways, but in the last few years Thomas has very much outproduced him both in bulk stats and on a per game basis. 

I agree with those that are saying we are in a down era of NFL WRs. There aren’t many WRs in today’s NFL that have the “you can try and double him but it’s likely still not enough” ability that players like Moss and Megatron had.

If Moss is a 99 then

Julio Jones 94

Michael Thomas 89

Tyreek Hill 87

DeAndre Hopkins 85

Mike Evan 85

Edited by SDotNova

On 8/10/2020 at 8:31 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, peak Moss 99;

Jones - 91

Hopkins - 89

Thomas - 86

Hill - 86

Evans - 84

You gotta remember what Moss was. Have you ever seen a WR combine his frightening speed with catch ability and athleticism since? Jones comes closest for me.

But I'm a harsh grader. 

Our ratings are pretty similar. I have Julio Jones a little higher though. But similar idea.

I don’t see your ratings as harsh to be honest. It was almost impossible to guard Moss. How many WRs in today’s NFL are on track to be HoF let alone first ballot HoFers? Julio Jones is the only guy who seems on track to go in on the first ballot. There are maybe 1 or 2 other guys who will make it. How can we say Moss 99 then say these others guys are anywhere near him?

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 5:51 AM, MWil23 said:

Jerry Rice was the GOAT, and I really don't care what anyone else thinks about that, they're just wrong. Cut his career in half and he has over 100 TD and over 10,000 yards in an era where illegal contact wasn't a thing and QB's weren't really protected by the rules, thus inflating the passing game.

We don't need yet another Moss vs. Rice thread, but I just wanted to say that Rice was great, but Moss was better. 

15 hours ago, Billy86 said:

This list on the other hand, confuses me a little. Leaving out ODB being far too high in my opinion for a guy who hasn't cracked 80 catches, 1,100 yards or more than 6 TDs in any of the last 3 years, even as a Packers fan and Davante fanboy even when some GB fans weren't very hot on him, I don't understand his placing over Michael Thomas? They are very similar in a lot of ways, but in the last few years Thomas has very much outproduced him both in bulk stats and on a per game basis. 

I don't care about stats.  Too many factors go into them especially in team sports (i.e. scheme, coaching, players around you, etc.).  I rate players based on how good I think they are based on watching them play.  I simply find Davante Adams to be a better player than Michael Thomas regardless of what the numbers say.  To me it comes down to this simple question:  if both players are available and you need to win a game, who are you taking?  I would take Davante Adams.  Now as you can tell from my ratings I don't think the gap is that huge between the two so if someone else prefers Michael Thomas I wouldn't call them crazy.  I just like Adams more and think he's the better football player.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 6:51 AM, MWil23 said:

Thread really has nothing to do with that. Moss is being used as the 99 standard because it’s peak. Moss’ biggest criticisms were his attitudes and his “effort” - neither of which play a part here. 

Rice has the better argument for GOAT over Moss. Rice does not have that same argument for highest peak.

10 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Thread really has nothing to do with that. Moss is being used as the 99 standard because it’s peak. Moss’ biggest criticisms were his attitudes and his “effort” - neither of which play a part here. 

Rice has the better argument for GOAT over Moss. Rice does not have that same argument for highest peak.

Wait, what?  Why?