Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

14 minutes ago, John232 said:

I mean, I don't think it's egregious to think we finish 8-8. I'd put as at 10-6 11-5, but if the injury issues keep persisting, especially at receiver, I think we could  stumble out of the gates hard. 

Overall, this is a stacked division and I think one of, if not the strongest in football. I know the NFCS is up there and I think the AFCE is on the come-up in a big way but  the NFCW just seems rock solid top to bottom.

I feel the same. My own pick is probably 10-6 or 11-5, but as you said...some rotten lock in important times or injuries and boom, you're 8-8. 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

I mean, I don't think it's egregious to think we finish 8-8. I'd put as at 10-6 11-5, but if the injury issues keep persisting, especially at receiver, I think we could  stumble out of the gates hard. 

Overall, this is a stacked division and I think one of, if not the strongest in football. I know the NFCS is up there and I think the AFCE is on the come-up in a big way but  the NFCW just seems rock solid top to bottom.

thats fair, I already said I have a very bad feeling about week 1, but its hard to see us losing to both the jets and giants, so I do expect a rebound. 

We are better positioned to deal with receiver injuries than most teams, we have an elite run game, elite TE, a good OL (hopefully), and an elite defense

as long as this is the only position we are dealing with these types of injuries, we should be OK. 

Hopefully our center issues get resolved as well. 

41 minutes ago, N4L said:

a good OL (hopefully)

I am really questioning this at this point. That interior is just a mess right now between center and RG and McG isn't a particularly adept tackle in pass protection. I'll be honest in that this is a huge concern for me right now. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I am really questioning this at this point. That interior is just a mess right now between center and RG and McG isn't a particularly adept tackle in pass protection. I'll be honest in that this is a huge concern for me right now. 

McGlinchey supposedly has looked much better in pass protection in camp. Last year Ford owned him while they had more competitive battles this year. 

Our OL is going to be pretty much the same level as last season. Outsiders will overrate it due to Jimmy's quick release but the interior won't be good again. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

McGlinchey supposedly has looked much better in pass protection in camp. Last year Ford owned him while they had more competitive battles this year. 

Our OL is going to be pretty much the same level as last season. Outsiders will overrate it due to Jimmy's quick release but the interior won't be good again. 

should have taken Wirfs (though it should be noted I have no idea how he has looked in Tampa TC; he could be a complete disaster lol) 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

should have taken Wirfs (though it should be noted I have no idea how he has looked in Tampa TC; he could be a complete disaster lol) 

You know I was big on Wirfs the entire time and he was my pick. Would have been able to plug him at RG for this season and then have him takeover at LT when Williams likely hits the market.

At least Aiyuk had a strong camp and is already one of Jimmy's favorites. Maiocco said he looked to be a level above what Deebo was last season in camp. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, that's why I put (hopefully) in there. Bit of a question mark with no preseason but we should be ok there 

Trent Williams was an upgrade, Tomlinson is establishing himself as one of the best Gs in the league, brunskill played well last year, McG is a really solid player. 

With our coach, we can scheme this up to get good production out of what we have 

I'm honestly not expecting too many surprises from the roster in general. I think we'll probably carry 3 QBs again, 4 TE...though I suppose Dwelley could end up on PS along with Harrell. Probably cut Hasty out of the running backs we have, leaving Coleman, Mostert, Wilson, Jet & Juice. I think Tavon Austin will make it, and all the other scrap heap receivers are gone. 

Dion Jordan has been truly dreadful from what I understand, so at best I think he can only get a PS spot. 

So someone found an Instagram story of Warner's GF 

It's a note telling him to "get well soon" with a bunch of smoothies. 

Goddamn, that is really really bad. Basically confirms hes actually sick and that it's not just that he was exposed to someone 

We are going to have the only player in the NFL on the covid list week one, and it's basically the one of the most irreplaceable parts of our defense 

No surprise, but Kyle made the grouping of the top playcallers heading into the season via PFF:

KYLE SHANAHAN, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

As stated above, Shanahan really understands offensive football. He sends players in motion more than any other offensive playcaller. That equates to hell for opposing defenses, which use a league-high average of 7.5 men in the box against the 49ers on early downs. Shanahan uses fullbacks and tight ends better than any other offensive mind with the exception of Roman (the 49ers were second in WAR generated by FB/TE). His penchant for spending too much money on free agent running backs, only to see players like Raheem Mostert and Matt Breida see more success later on, is a flaw — but it's one he consistently overcomes on the field. 

He’ll have his work cut out for him in 2020. The 49ers will be without Deebo Samuel for the early stages of the season — and Emmanuel Sanders altogether. They were a more explosive run offense than an efficient one (they were out of the top 10 in success rate on the ground last year), a feature that generally regresses from one year to the next (big plays are less sticky than successful ones). San Francisco's defense is less likely to be a top unit in what is now a tough NFC West. A repeat of 2019’s team outcomes (or better) would likely vault him up this list given his limitations at quarterback with Jimmy Garoppolo.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-best-offensive-play-callers-heading-into-2020-season