Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

From Barrows mailbag.

Interesting, so they are looking to move Spoon or at least were looking to move him. So does Harris get the nod if that happens? It's very risky considering Verrett cannot be trusted and if Moseley or Sherman go down, the CB situation would look awfully shaky. 

Yea I think the idea of a trade is a little premature. Why anyone would be banking on Verrett staying healthy is beyond me but I'd rather just keep Spoon and let it play out. Sherm is getting older by the minute and who knows when a injury could hit the group. Its going to be a long season (hopefully). Having great depth@CB should be a strength. Don't put the cart before the horse...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Yea I think the idea of a trade is a little premature. Why anyone would be banking on Verrett staying healthy is beyond me but I'd rather just keep Spoon and let it play out. Sherm is getting older by the minute and who knows when a injury could hit the group. Its going to be a long season (hopefully). Having great depth@CB should be a strength. Don't put the cart before the horse...

That seems to be a hint Witherspoon has had an underwhelming camp.

12 minutes ago, SFrush said:

That seems to be a hint Witherspoon has had an underwhelming camp.

But from all reports he had the second best camp of the CBs, only behind Moseley. Excluding Sherm of course...

I trust Spoon more than I trust Verrett's health is what it boils down to.

Edited by 757-NINER

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

But from all reports he had the second best camp of the CBs, only behind Moseley. Excluding Sherm of course...

I heard about spoon very little from reading camp reports and pods, tbh. I know he ran with the starters one day, but I don't know if he ran more with them after that.  I heard a ton about Moseley, who I think Barrows  said had the best, and a ton about Verrett, whom I think Lombardi picked to start the season at the other corner spot. Just based on what I was reading and listening to, I thought it was very clear that he was the lowest man on the totem pole, though obviously I didn't listen to or ready everything out there. 

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I trust Spoon more than I trust Verrett's health is what it boils down to.

Guess those reports weren't accurate. They know Verrett isn't very durable and yet they still were looking to move spoon.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I heard about spoon very little from reading camp reports and pods, tbh. I know he ran with the starters one day, but I don't know if he ran more with them after that.  I heard a ton about Moseley, who I think Barrows  said had the best, and a ton about Verrett, whom I think Lombardi picked to start the season at the other corner spot. Just based on what I was reading and listening to, I thought it was very clear that he was the lowest man on the totem pole, though obviously I didn't listen to or ready everything out there. 

From all the reports I read and vids I watched, it seemed Spoon and Verrett were neck and neck behind Moseley. Both had their days where they shined and both were a bit inconsistent. I never got the notion that Verrett clearly had the better camp but if that was indeed the case I could see how they might have shopped him.

But I still go back to Verrett's availability or lack thereof....it should be a legitimate concern. So even if he did clearly outplay Spoon, do you trust the next guy up behind Verrett to step up when he goes down? I didn't read anything about the other CBs besides Taylor that would suggest that any could be counted on to step up if called upon. And Taylor was strictly in the slot so he's really irrelevant in this. 

Just now, 757-NINER said:

From all the reports I read and vids I watched, it seemed Spoon and Verrett were neck and neck behind Moseley. Both had their days where they shined and both were a bit inconsistent. I never got the notion that Verrett clearly had the better camp but if that was indeed the case I could see how they might have shopped him.

But I still go back to Verrett's availability or lack thereof....it should be a legitimate concern. So even if he did clearly outplay Spoon, do you trust the next guy up behind Verrett to step up when he goes down? I didn't read anything about the other CBs besides Taylor that would suggest that any could be counted on to step up if called upon. And Taylor was strictly in the slot so he's really irrelevant in this. 

Oh no, I agree. The only person that would have mattered would be Tim Harris, and I heard absolutely nothing about him. The only thing I can figure is that the niners were looking at external options to fill in for spoon as a bottom of the rotation depth piece. 

Nothing super interesting for us. JOnes is in the last year of his deal, so not feeling that even though I'd be intrigued by the acquisition . Harrison is probably the most interesting guy for us, I suppose, given the position. Rankins is probably the biggest name, but obviously we aren't in the market there. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Nothing super interesting for us. JOnes is in the last year of his deal, so not feeling that even though I'd be intrigued by the acquisition . Harrison is probably the most interesting guy for us, I suppose, given the position. Rankins is probably the biggest name, but obviously we aren't in the market there. 

Rankins caught up my eye as well.

9 minutes ago, N4L said:

Didn't he tear his Achilles? 

He did in 2018, then last year against us, he did something to his ankle that caused him to miss the remainder of the season. Not sure i ever learned what that was though. Could have just been a high strain. 

Health has been an issue

Guess this binds us to Ford for a little bit longer. But it gives us cap flexibility this year, and  even if we don't use the cap space, we can still roll it over into next season

This is also good for Ford because i'm assuming with a Signing Bonus, he gets the $9.5M right away, right?

Edited by 49ersfan

Just now, 49ersfan said:

Guess this binds us to Ford for a little bit longer. But it gives us cap flexibility this year, and  even if we don't use the cap space, we can still roll it over into next season

This is also good for Ford because i'm assuming with a SB, he gets the $9.5M right away, right?

I hope it means they could be reconsidering signing Clowney. On a one year deal I think it's worth a shot.