Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, SFrush said:

I hope it means they could be reconsidering signing Clowney. On a one year deal I think it's worth a shot.

Honest question. Where would he play? This re-structure means Ford is sticking around, Armstead plays base DE, and Bosa is going to play in most all situations. I hope this is a move to hopefully extend Fred Warner or re-sign Trent Williams personally. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Honest question. Where would he play? This re-structure means Ford is sticking around, Armstead plays base DE, and Bosa is going to play in most all situations. I hope this is a move to hopefully extend Fred Warner or re-sign Trent Williams personally. 

Williams feels like the most logical choice. Team can focus on the Secondary (and IOL) next offseason then.

9 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

They could kick him inside in the nickel. They did when he was in Houston quite a bit...

I've been adamant about not relying on Ford and Bosa to stay healthy. It's just asking for trouble so count me as one of those ppl who is on board for going after Clowney on a year rental. 

I'm not worried about who plays where. With three legitimate edge rushers, you can keep everyone fresh and guys could still get their numbers. You wouldn't have to worry about two guys getting worn down over the grind of a 16 game season and playoff run. It would be a good problem to have imo. Not sure if Clowney would actually be down to come here with Ford and Bosa already in the fold. If he's truly looking to get paid, he could go somewhere like NO and get more snaps and improve his numbers so he can cash in next off-season. BUT if he is down, we should definitely try and make it happen. It makes too much sense to me personally.

I could also see them going after another edge guy if Clowney isn't a option. A guy like Oliver Vernon makes sense, as they are saying he might be released. Sheard is still a free agent and would be a great rotational player for our unit. I feel like Lynch knows counting on Hyder and Blair, the latter being fresh off a ACL repair, isn't going to cut if we really want to our defense to not miss a beat. Especially with no DeFo and Kinlaw not being ready.

• Like 2

It wouldn't really make sense to restructure Dee to extend Trent. Restructuring Dee makes future cap and numbers worse and the problem with signing trent long term is the future years, not this season since he's already under contract and playing. 

• Like 1

I kind of don't care for signing Clowney. Law of diminishing returns likely makes it a somewhat over valued signing for the team on an efficiency basis, and frankly I find him to be the Sammy Watkins of defenders. I wouldn't hate it, but I just don't care much for him as a player from a value perspective. Justin Pugh was being shopped by the Cards and plays right guard, that could make sense. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

It wouldn't really make sense to restructure Dee to extend Trent. Restructuring Dee makes future cap and numbers worse and the problem with signing trent long term is the future years, not this season since he's already under contract and playing. 

Bingo. You don't restructure at this point to hand out extensions. This could have been done. This was a calculated move to go out and improve the roster right now....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

They could kick him inside in the nickel. They did when he was in Houston quite a bit...

I've been adamant about not relying on Ford and Bosa to stay healthy. It's just asking for trouble so count me as one of those ppl who is on board for going after Clowney on a year rental. 

I'm not worried about who plays where. With three legitimate edge rushers, you can keep everyone fresh and guys could still get their numbers. You wouldn't have to worry about two guys getting worn down over the grind of a 16 game season and playoff run. It would be a good problem to have imo. Not sure if Clowney would actually be down to come here with Ford and Bosa already in the fold. If he's truly looking to get paid, he could go somewhere like NO and get more snaps and improve his numbers so he can cash in next off-season. BUT if he is down, we should definitely try and make it happen. It makes too much sense to me personally.

I could also see them going after another edge guy if Clowney isn't a option. A guy like Oliver Vernon makes sense, as they are saying he might be released. Sheard is still a free agent and would be a great rotational player for our unit. I feel like Lynch knows counting on Hyder and Blair, the latter being fresh off a ACL repair, isn't going to cut if we really want to our defense to not miss a beat. Especially with no DeFo and Kinlaw not being ready.

Same here. If you're going to sign him, you'll have a lot of versatility and everyone can sort of play anywhere. It's just not an issue. And the defense was amazing when people were paying like 40 snaps a game as opposed to 80, I'll give them that. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I kind of don't care for signing Clowney. Law of diminishing returns likely makes it a somewhat over valued signing for the team on an efficiency basis, and frankly I find him to be the Sammy Watkins of defenders. I wouldn't hate it, but I just don't care much for him as a player from a value perspective. Justin Pugh was being shopped by the Cards and plays right guard, that could make sense. 

Clowney is a very good player. Not great, but all the analytics folks rate him high and he would make this DL better. Great run defender on base downs and can rush from the inside in nickel downs. If possible, would love to sign him. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I kind of don't care for signing Clowney. Law of diminishing returns likely makes it a somewhat over valued signing for the team on an efficiency basis. I wouldn't hate it, but I just don't care much for him as a player from a value perspective. Justin Pugh was being shopped by the Cards and plays right guard, that could make sense. 

Clowney is an enigma as a player but I think he definitely improves our defense and takes it to another dimension. He is an elite run defender and that is valuable for our scheme, considering that is a weakness for the unit.

Shanny & Lynch have yet to show us that they value interior O-Line talent in their time here so I doubt this move was made to go out and sign a OG. Just doesn't fit their m.o. I think restructuring Compton instead of outright cutting him was telling that they're content with the interior at the moment.