Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think we need to have good ones though. I don't think it's enough to just point at the list of guys and say, "these are all wide receivers". This is almost like the Bears tight end situation at this point if Deebo is out. 

Right, but if we have Deebo back early, then the loss of Hurd is just meh. Having Deebo/Aiyuk/Taylor/Bourne is more than enough. If Deebo is out for like say 4-6 weeks, then obviously that becomes a problem. While many had high hopes for Hurd, it's not like he was guaranteed to have a huge role on the team or anything. 

27 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I saw one write up saying that Brunskill could be the starter at Center even. A bit shocked because why are we paying Richburg all that money, unless he’s still injured (or fell off)? 

He's still hurt. May start on PUP and miss the first 6 weeks. The injury he had last year is not a good one. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Right, but if we have Deebo back early, then the loss of Hurd is just meh. Having Deebo/Aiyuk/Taylor/Bourne is more than enough. If Deebo is out for like say 4-6 weeks, then obviously that becomes a problem. While many had high hopes for Hurd, it's not like he was guaranteed to have a huge role on the team or anything. 

If Deebo is on NFI & Hurd is on IR, i'm guessing we'll start off the season Aiyuk/Bourne/Taylor/Jennings. And one of James/Austin as our KR. 

We'd have to really rely on Kittle/Reed and our run game to get us through. Hopefully McKinnon is healthy this year...seems like Shanny really values his skillset

11 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

If Deebo is on NFI & Hurd is on IR, i'm guessing we'll start off the season Aiyuk/Bourne/Taylor/Jennings. And one of James/Austin as our KR. 

We'd have to really rely on Kittle/Reed and our run game to get us through. Hopefully McKinnon is healthy this year...seems like Shanny really values his skillset

It would not be wise to count on Reed in any capacity. Dude has been out of football for a year and has NEVER been healthy for a full 16 game season. No one should be counting on him as a contributor. Anything he gives us should be looked at as a bonus, not expected. I'd lean much more heavily on Dwelley developing into a legit #2 TE than I would Reed returning to his Pro Bowl form.

Hurd's injury sucks but its not like he was expected to be a big contributor. If anything it gives Jennings an opportunity to make the team and fill that big slot role. I firmly expect Deebo back by Week 4 at the latest, barring any setbacks. I think we'll be fine if we can remain healthy. Especially if Jet is fully healthy,. He adds a dimension out of the backfield we haven't had, which can take some of the load off the receivers.  No need to be concerned about the WRs....yet anyway.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Seems like #2 spot is between Mosley and Verrett. So Mosley going to be the starter then. Any chance we trade Weatherspoon for a bag of chips? 

Hope the new DB coach isn't a fan of Verrett...he got burnt early on in TC (not sure if thats still the case) and obviously had one of the worst years any player could have last year...he'll really need to bring it to overtake Moseley.

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Seems like #2 spot is between Mosley and Verrett. So Mosley going to be the starter then. Any chance we trade Weatherspoon for a bag of chips? 

Problem is that we are already thin there as is, and a guy like Spoon is good to have in the back pocket. Not many teams can throw out a 4th string outside corner who's actually flashed the ability to shut down a receiver 

• Like 2