Multiple players opt out of 2020 season: RT Cannon, LB Hightower, five others

RaidersAreOne

Several teams just announced the opt-outs ... with the most notable, Baltimore Ravens returner and wide receiver De'Anthony Thomas, coming early Monday morning.

Other players joining the former Oregon Ducks star Monday included: Cowboys cornerback Maurice Canady, Washington D-lineman Caleb Brantley, Seahawks O-lineman Chance Warmack and Patriots fullback Danny Vitale.

That’s a pretty massive bummer. NE doesn’t have a reliable option at tackle and Isaiah Wynn has already had issues staying on the field. 

Have to wonder if they throw one of the guards at tackle, with all the depth on the interior.

Several teams just announced the opt-outs ... with the most notable, Baltimore Ravens returner and wide receiver De'Anthony Thomas, coming early Monday morning.

Other players joining the former Oregon Ducks star Monday included: Cowboys cornerback Maurice Canady, Washington D-lineman Caleb Brantley, Seahawks O-lineman Chance Warmack and Patriots fullback Danny Vitale.

These were prior to OL Marcus Cannon and OL Najee Toran who both play for the Patriots.

The 3rd-9th of many I'm sure.

With regard to Ravens De'Anthony Thomas, it was expected by most, that he would not make the final 53 roster - even with injuries he would be a longshot to make the roster over a PS player so he might have chosen to take the guaranteed money this year.

First of many that will. Hopes are that if they opt to do this, the NFL will allow them back in assuming the best case scenario happens and they feel more safe. Personally, I think the season should just start in late October and you push the combine back a month and change then keep everything else on schedule. I feel that would help science catch up bc the US as a country can't do it alone. 

Seems like a lot of these names are roster fodder - not trying to trivialize their decision, but we have yet to hear from someone who is due to lose big money by sitting out.

Dr. Tardif is probably the biggest name and only starter of the group, but I liken his decision to what Pat Tillman did - he's not sitting out due to fear, he's taking the fight to the enemy.

Edit: Marcus Cannon is a big name.

• Like 1

I can't criticize anyone who goes in this direction, especially with his history of cancer - he's got incredibly high risk, and it's best he take the $150,000 and sit this out.

Question for all - Let's say a player opts out. Then in early October, a vaccine comes out (Pfizer should be available, based on projections) and it proves to be the magic bullet, infections dwindle down to zero. Would a player be able to opt back in? Of course they're on the hook for paying back that $150k, but would the NFL make a mid season variance like that in regards to rosters?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Seems like a lot of these names are roster fodder - not trying to trivialize their decision, but we have yet to hear from someone who is due to lose big money by sitting out.

Dr. Tardif is probably the biggest name and only starter of the group, but I liken his decision to what Pat Tillman did - he's not sitting out due to fear, he's taking the fight to the enemy.

Edit: Marcus Cannon is a big name.

There will be more.

• Like 1