Multiple players opt out of 2020 season: RT Cannon, LB Hightower, five others

RaidersAreOne

24 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

What I mean is, the $27 that is getting pushed to next year comes off the books for this year, right? So that, if unused, should get rolled over into next season. Essentially zeroing Cannon, Vitale, Hightower, and Chung in next year’s accounting, right?

I feel like I’m misunderstanding because that seems too easy.

EDIT: Here’s what I mean in round numbers. 

2020 space: $10M

2021 space: $50M 

COVID opt out savings: $10M

So that extra $10M gets rolled over and cancels out those contracts getting pushed? Or is rollover not going to be a thing with this procedure?

That was what I was saying. 
Right Now  - the Patriots have $9 million in cap space.
After those contracts get rolled to 2021 they have $36 million in cap space for 2020 season and the $27 million moves to 2021
Whatever cap space is left over after the season can get rolled over 

Original 2021 salary obligations $121 million

Projected cap $175

afterwards 

salary obligations $148 million 

Rolled over cap $211

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I wonder the players who opt out of they are on the team come next year.

Their contract tolls, so league year 2020 on their contract is paid out in league year 2021 and 2021 becomes 2022 and so on

The only difference is the players who aren’t sitting out for medical reasons don’t receive vested credit for 2020 towards becoming unrestricted free agents 

43 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Love Nate as a person.  So well spoken in interviews and keeps an upbeat attitude despite his hardships.  He's a genuinely good dude.  He's doing the right thing for his family.

That being said, he's had his fair share of struggles at LT.  I'm hoping Andrew Thomas brings some long overdue stability to that position for the Giants.

This also gives 3rd round rookie Matt Peart more of a chance to win the starting RT.  He's a freak of nature.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Love Nate as a person.  So well spoken in interviews and keeps an upbeat attitude despite his hardships.  He's a genuinely good dude.  He's doing the right thing for his family.

That being said, he's had his fair share of struggles at LT.  I'm hoping Andrew Thomas brings some long overdue stability to that position for the Giants.

This also gives 3rd round rookie Matt Peart more of a chance to win the starting RT.  He's a freak of nature.

Totally agree. I think this is a good thing. No more controversy over where Thomas plays this year- he's the LT of the present and the future. There's a big battle now for RT. Nick Gates, Cam Fleming, and Matt Peart will all be fighting for it.

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Totally agree. I think this is a good thing. No more controversy over where Thomas plays this year- he's the LT of the present and the future. There's a big battle now for RT. Nick Gates, Cam Fleming, and Matt Peart will all be fighting for it.

12 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I had Peart coming out of UConn rated well ahead of Cleveland coming out of Boise. Matt Peart projects to being a starting NFL tackle in every way, shape, and form. Really well-liked by coaches, good interview reports, great athleticism, great resumé... The question is the massive leap in competition from Connecticut to the NFL.

• Like 1

Just now, HoboRocket said:

I had Peart coming out of UConn rated well ahead of Cleveland coming out of Boise. Matt Peart projects to being a starting NFL tackle in every way, shape, and form. Really well-liked by coaches, good interview reports, great athleticism, great resumé... The question is the massive leap in competition from Connecticut to the NFL.

It was both interesting and exciting to hear the reasoning behind the pick from Gettleman. According to him, Peart was almost completely a coach's pick. He said Marc Columbo and Jason Garrett were super interested in working with Peart. I think they see a lot of potential in him that they think they can draw out, which is encouraging. Those 2 guys are both good enough at their jobs that they can get it done, and I like that they were both confident enough to speak up and say so.

• Like 1