Multiple players opt out of 2020 season: RT Cannon, LB Hightower, five others

RaidersAreOne

Arizona Cardinals RT Marcus Gilbert has opted out of the season. I think it's safe to say that his career is officially over?

Next season, Gilbert will be a 33 year old who has played in 12 games TOTAL over the course of the last four seasons. RIP. Pro Bowl talent, shame to see it end like this. Also, what terrible luck for the Cards! They've had several talented OL FA signings who just couldn't see the field during their Arizona tenure in the last half-decade. Gilbert was a Pro-Bowl caliber tackle, Evan Mathis was a first-team All-Pro, Mike Iupati was a first-team All-Pro, and all three of them just couldn't get on the field with the Cardinals, and struggled when they did play, aside from Iupati's 2015 season, where he STILL missed time but made the Pro Bowl. Justin Pugh has missed significant time with injury and played out of position at times, too, and he was a high-dollar FA. 

18 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't think "opting out of 2020" is going to cost anybody except for the "well, you're one year older" thing.

It's like "missing the season with an injury" except there's no concern about recovery since "avoiding having to go into recovery" is what you've been doing.

Unless your 2020 replacement actually fills in nicely and or makes you and your salary now look disposable. Ala Austin Eckler. 🍺

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Unless your 2020 replacement actually fills in nicely and or makes you and your salary now look disposable. Ala Austin Eckler. 🍺

Oh yeah, for sure. Especially when it's likely that the cap is going to be going down. These mid tier vets in particular are in danger of being pushed out. Teams are going to go stars and scrubs and young players. Increase in minimum salaries isn't a huge deal, but probably adds a few million every year on a team's cap, so it's just one more thing. 

45 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Yea, there is a lot of career risk to sitting a year out. Taking a year off an NFL career is like taking of close to a decade for the average job.

7 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

So what will happen? Will the NFL and teams start suing players next year if they don't make a team and don't pay back the advance? That would be a bad look.

I'd almost guarantee it doesn't happen. I think that the NFL is happy to recoup that money from the guys who do make the team as sort of a half measure. I Know that sometimes teams will go after the bonuses of guys who retire early, but I generally think that depends on the relationship. I think most teams are typically okay with letting that go, and I feel like this would be a similar situation. If any team actually goes after a non rostered player for 150K for this year's stipend, I'd be floored. 

20 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

why should a guy be paid if hes not going to work?

I could say something, but this forum says to not get into politics. I'll just leave this at the CBA that governs the players and owners had an addendum for the COVID situation we're in. That is why a player should be paid if he's not going to work.

• Like 4