Multiple players opt out of 2020 season: RT Cannon, LB Hightower, five others

RaidersAreOne

34 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Bill is going to have all these players sit out this year and gain a lot more cap space to roll over into next year so they don’t have to feel any effects from potential salary cap drop. 

Eagles and Falcons should jump on this 

I don't care who it is, I'm not giving up millions and millions of dollars just because my coach told me to.

What a stupid take.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, G said:

I think a lot of the big guys on the lines should opt out. so teams with smaller lines will probably win. That WON'T be my Raiders. LOL

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hudson sit out. He's already expressed concern with his wife being immunocomprimised.

9 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hudson sit out. He's already expressed concern with his wife being immunocomprimised.

Yeah I wouldn't doubt it either but the money difference is so huge with him that I'd tell her, I'll see you 3 weeks after our season ends and live in a hotel during season. I've got lots of firefighter friends who live in tents, tool sheds in their back yards. Wife leaves dinner out and they waive to Dad from the windows. Football players who would make millions just have to stay away for almost half a year and get their families some great gifts. Frontline will adapt over 2-3 years.

If our line loses Hudson it won't be pretty. Devey is good enough but Hudson is a beast and makes it all work.

Edited by G
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

It would actually make sense because he signed an extension. He wouldn't miss out on the big bucks.

...I might be wrong though.

Or it would be easier to get a 2nd Super Bowl...

EDIT: Maybe telling the Pats picks will be a lottery might get a team there...

Edited by G

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

I don't care who it is, I'm not giving up millions and millions of dollars just because my coach told me to.

What a stupid take.

Meanwhile the 6 guys who’ve opted out account for $27 million in cap for 2020. 

Besides who cares what your reasons are, if a guy is seriously mulling it over the team can coax him into the decision. Cannon had a lymphoma diagnosis in his past, Hightower has a newborn. Toran might not have made the team. Not heard of reasons for Vitale, Chung or Bolden yet. 

8 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This isn’t even crazy, it’s pretty much exactly what everyone should have expected.

Do you know how many UDFA's are drooling to get a shot to be on TV?!?

EDIT: Even if the top 100 opted out the season would go on because you can't sell a product above market value if there is no product on display...

Edited by G
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kirill said:

right some of these guys are just saving themselves from embarrassment lmao if you're a bubble guy it shouldn't even be news

It’s kind of smart on their part. If you are an established vet and think you might get cut before camp ends, why risk it? Take some money and sit this one out 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, G said:

EDIT: Even if the top 100 opted out the season would go on because you can't sell a product above market value if there is no product on display...

This is what the AAF and the XFL gambled on (twice) and it didn't work. By and large, casual fans (not fans who have 10,000+ post on a football website) watch football for the stars, and casual fans are the real driving force behind the money. I'm sure the league would try to trudge on, but I'm sure a viewer forecast would show the league not even breaking even on the cost to broadcast vs the revenue brought in on such poor viewership.

If the top 20 of the top 100 sat out, there'd be a significant drop in viewership. Nobody is tuning in to watch Matt Moore vs AJ McCarran on TNF...

• Like 2