Multiple players opt out of 2020 season: RT Cannon, LB Hightower, five others

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

It’s kind of smart on their part. If you are an established vet and think you might get cut before camp ends, why risk it? Take some money and sit this one out 

I agree. Also for them their rights are reserved for next year. And some of these players might have a better chance making the team in 2021 than this year. Everyone makes business decisions. I do think that is happening for some of these players other than health concerns.

13 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Meanwhile the 6 guys who’ve opted out account for $27 million in cap for 2020. 

Besides who cares what your reasons are, if a guy is seriously mulling it over the team can coax him into the decision. Cannon had a lymphoma diagnosis in his past, Hightower has a newborn. Toran might not have made the team. Not heard of reasons for Vitale, Chung or Bolden yet. 

Are you aware the 2021 Pats cap space will be 100 million.  They make some obvious moves and it will be 150!!!

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/heres-early-look-patriots-salary-cap-space-2021

14 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Meanwhile the 6 guys who’ve opted out account for $27 million in cap for 2020. 

Besides who cares what your reasons are, if a guy is seriously mulling it over the team can coax him into the decision. Cannon had a lymphoma diagnosis in his past, Hightower has a newborn. Toran might not have made the team. Not heard of reasons for Vitale, Chung or Bolden yet. 

The talk shows in Boston are saying they opt out because the are financially set, why risk it and they all have multiple SB rings so whats the incentive!

7 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Are you aware the 2021 Pats cap space will be 100 million.  They make some obvious moves and it will be 150!!!

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/heres-early-look-patriots-salary-cap-space-2021

I’m aware the NFL and the NFLPA agreed that the minimum cap would not go below $175 million. Prior to that the projections were that 2021 would be $215 million. So even with that the Pats wouldn’t have $100 million in space; $94 m is close though, they have $121 million in contracts for 2021. With all these guys contracts getting tolled until 2021 that shifts an additional $27 million to 2021. 

32 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

I’m aware the NFL and the NFLPA agreed that the minimum cap would not go below $175 million. Prior to that the projections were that 2021 would be $215 million. So even with that the Pats wouldn’t have $100 million in space; $94 m is close though, they have $121 million in contracts for 2021. With all these guys contracts getting tolled until 2021 that shifts an additional $27 million to 2021. 

IMO All three will be gone after this year. Like I mentioned to Deadpulse I have no clue CS. I'm pretty sure all three contract are up next year but again what happen with the cap. This is a great move for the players if they can move their contract into the future. This year a waste and they can ( hang with the family)  rest up, play their final in 2021. 

Question what happens with the players years in the NFL if they sit this year out.  They are still part of the team ?

Edited by m haynes

46 minutes ago, m haynes said:

IMO All three will be gone after this year. Like I mentioned to Deadpulse I have no clue CS. I'm pretty sure all three contract are up next year but again what happen with the cap. This is a great move for the players if they can move their contract into the future. This year a waste and they can ( hang with the family)  rest up, play their final in 2021. 

Question what happens with the players years in the NFL if they sit this year out.  They are still part of the team ?

From what I understand, Cannon will get a vested year because he has medical. The rest won’t.

Hightower, Toran and Vitale have one year on their contracts. That was 2020 and now becomes 2021, Cannon, Chung and Bolden have more years left on their contracts. 

28 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Yes, but they currently have $9 million in cap (for now) so whatever is left of that rolls over as well 

What I mean is, the $27 that is getting pushed to next year comes off the books for this year, right? So that, if unused, should get rolled over into next season. Essentially zeroing Cannon, Vitale, Hightower, and Chung in next year’s accounting, right?

I feel like I’m misunderstanding because that seems too easy.

EDIT: Here’s what I mean in round numbers. 

2020 space: $10M

2021 space: $50M 

COVID opt out savings: $10M

So that extra $10M gets rolled over and cancels out those contracts getting pushed? Or is rollover not going to be a thing with this procedure?

Edited by Yin-Yang