Patriots starting RT Marcus Cannon opts out of 2020 season

As one of the few NFL players with some serious medical problems in his past, his caution is at least understandable - if still wholly unnecessary, when you look at the statistics. I don't even understand exactly how not playing will keep you safer, presumably they're not going to seal themselves in a plastic bubble at home.

IMO It has very little to do virus.  It has more to do with a number of factors.

1. This coming season is a joke. It is all for money and the owner could give a dam about the players. No people in stands, no live practices and no preseason. Ya we are going to see glorified pick up games. The rookies have zero chance and the URFA will be all cut without a look at in training camp.

2. The virus protects the players that decide to sit out. The union and John public and media would have a field day if owners forced players to play.

3. Cannon is old, injury prone and at the end of a contract. What better time to sit out and rest, heal and see if he can get a contract for next season or two. I also heard Hightower is out as well. Figures he just the same as Cannon.

Will I watch, heck ya. Will I care heck no. I consider this a lost season. Reminds me of the strike seasons. Everyone always stops to look at a train wreck!

Edited by m haynes

1 minute ago, m haynes said:

IMO It has very little to do virus.  It has more to do with a number of factors.

1. This coming season is a joke. It is all for money and the owner could give a dam about the players. No people in stands, no live practices and no preseason. Ya we are going to see glorified pick up games. The rookies have zero chance and the URFA will be all cut without a look at in training camp.

2. The virus protects the players that decide to sit out. The union and John public and media would have a field day if owners forced players to play.

3. Cannon is old, injury prone and at the end of a contract. What better time to sit out and rest, heal and see if he can get a contract for next season or two. I also herd Hightower is out as well. Figures he just the same as Cannon.

Will I watch, heck ya. Will I care heck no. I consider this a lost season. Reminds me of the strike seasons. Everyone always stops to look at a train wreck!

Or, you know, his history with lymphoma and he is extremely high risk to not only get the virus but also have long lasting effects. 

9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Or, you know, his history with lymphoma and he is extremely high risk to not only get the virus but also have long lasting effects. 

I agree to a point.  Also he is a veteran with money in the bank why not sit out THIS year.  You also mentioned Hightower wife having a baby. IMO this is again a player that is in the same situation as Cannon and has money.

The baby is just a excuse because he is veteran and is financially set.  Many people work during the Corona that are having a baby. Hightower is just someone that can make that choice, which by the way I agree with Cannon And DH.  You are in a position to dictate your future screw the owners who care jack crap

Edited by m haynes