Training camp 2020 thread

paul-mac

9 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

This makes no sense to me.  It’s an incredibly thin group.  Davis is a solid, known entity who is a leader, well respected, calls your plays.  If we had ANYBODY else on the roster that could step in, it would still be hard to justify.  But when this is arguably your weakest position group, you cut Davis?  No matter how I look at it, I can’t find any logic to this whatsoever.

I get it - but what no one can see is if Davis has lost that critical step.    If he has, that’s a huge problem given he’s already a limited guy.  

The part that’s tough is our depth isn’t good at all there.    It’s just that we’ve seen this before with vets like TJ Ward, at this stage of their career.   And history proved it to be the right call.   With no offseason games and little media availability to entire practices we have zero way of knowing if Davis is close to his limited but thumper self or if he looks done.     It’s unlikely to be a $ move given our situation and the modest savings.   It also sucks for him it’s happening now - pretty much screws him from getting close to his original salary.   Another lesson how the current CBA is so ridiculously team-friendly.  

Either way the big Q is how well we can defend the run with no Davis.   But where he lands and how well he plays likely tells the full tale on whether this is the right call now.  

Edited by Broncofan

We all know where Klis is getting this from so expect this to be plan A until injuries occur.   Strnad sounds to be a 2021 projection contribution-wise.  

Barron is a clear upgrade in pass defense on Davis / Jewell combo.   But Johnson will need to cover for his limitations as a run defender if they think Barron is a 3-down guy.   ILB definitely a priority next offseason.  

Edited by Broncofan

Shocked.  At the end of the day, a $ move (didn’t want to pay him the $4.5M if he wasn’t a 3 down linebacker).  So you just made your team worse to save money - when you had the money.  Don’t see any way to spin this as a positive.  Hope there is another shoe to drop, but I think what just got dropped was the ball.....

2 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Shocked.  At the end of the day, a $ move (didn’t want to pay him the $4.5M if he wasn’t a 3 down linebacker).  So you just made your team worse to save money - when you had the money.  Don’t see any way to spin this as a positive.  Hope there is another shoe to drop, but I think what just got dropped was the ball.....

I can't see that. No way would Fangio lessen his defense for a few bucks. He knows LB's though. 

Lots of possibilities. maybe Hollins really started stepping up, maybe Barron or the new guy are better fits?  Maybe Jewell took that 3rd year jump? Maybe Joe Jones?

Edited by AKRNA

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I can't see that. No way would Fangio lessen his defense for a few bucks. He knows LB's though. 

Lots of possibilities. maybe Hollins really started stepping up, maybe Barron or the new guy are better fits?  Maybe Jewell took that 3rd year jump? Maybe Joe Jones?

Supposedly the LB from the Cincy trade many think will be a starter here.  Maybe not right away, but once up to speed with the scheme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Supposedly the LB from the Cincy trade many think will be a starter here.  Maybe not right away, but once up to speed with the scheme.

From what I’ve been able to glean, he (Calito?) is nothing more than a JAG.  Baron only marginally better against pass Than Davis, worse against the run. Loss of leadership, communication.  It’s all on a Jewell now.  Heaven help us.  I have no delusions that Davis was anything special, but it’s all relative, and relative to what we have behind him.  SMH. 

1 hour ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

From what I’ve been able to glean, he (Calito?) is nothing more than a JAG.  Baron only marginally better against pass Than Davis, worse against the run. Loss of leadership, communication.  It’s all on a Jewell now.  Heaven help us.  I have no delusions that Davis was anything special, but it’s all relative, and relative to what we have behind him.  SMH. 

Whats the word on Hollins? I've always been intrigued by his size/ skill set.

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Whats the word on Hollins? I've always been intrigued by his size/ skill set.

It doesn’t sound to me like they’re too happy with his progress. Great athlete but at this point being able to play two positions is probably the thing keeping him here. I thought he was in line to play more at OLB this year but Malik Reed made a jump instead. 

12 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Yes, but Davis is JAG as well.  He’s a 2 down thumper.  Denver now has Johnson whose a 3 down LB.  Now they’ll mix and match Jewell, Barron, Calitro hoping one steps up and takes the job.  Calito seems to be the one with the best chance of being a 3 down player because we already know Jewell and Barron aren’t.

Edited by germ-x