Training camp 2020 thread

paul-mac

The offense has loads of potential. It's scary how good they can be in time. Jeudy is going to be a problem. He's getting more burn with the 1s from what I saw. The guy is one of the best route runners I have ever seen at his age. He has absurd body control and simply knows how to get open. He's going to be a stud. Hamler appears to be making plays as well. Still early, as always, but a lot to be excited about.

Loved what I'm reading from the practice reports on day 2.

--Jeudy moved up into rotation with the 1's. Love this and honestly just glad that the coaching staff isn't playing hardball with youngsters, let the most talented players get the first team reps.. They're more important than ever with no preseason games.  Still took 2nd and 3rd team reps too.  Fine by me, reps reps reps!

--Defense throwing the kitchen sink at Lock. I've read that they threw 4,5,6 man rushes and blitzes at Lock yesterday. Fantastic.  He needs to see these looks and be thrown into the fire as much as possible.  This is where young QB's need to get the reps and get comfortable.  I take his completion percentage in these practices with a grain of salt because it's easier knowing you're not going to get hit.  But 13 of 17 in 11's and then 6 of 7 in 7's is great to see.  Means he's recognizing what's coming, running quickly thru progressions and getting the ball where it needs to be on time and accurately.  It's this kind of progress that makes all the preseason hype easier to believe.  Also, all the better he has to face these scenarios against his own defense, not going to see much more intimidating pass rush than that this year.

• Like 2

I heard Jerry Jeudy is just a total freak out there.  My beat reporter friend, someone you all know and respect and who isn’t a mouthpiece or corporate lackey, said he has never seen a rookie WR be where Jeudy is already and it’s just 3 days in. He also had very, very high praise for Drew Lock. And this isn’t a guy who blows smoke.

I heard Jake Butt is doing really well too and, while I’m tempering my enthusiasm there, I’ve always said the guy could be a Heath Miller-type TE for us. With athletic marvels in Fant and Albert O., we could have a real 3-headed monster at TE. It would suck as Matt “pour me another drink in a Patriot Way glass” Russell’s decision to go after Vannett could be a sunk cost. And I’d love that. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I heard Jerry Jeudy is just a total freak out there.  My beat reporter friend, someone you all know and respect and who isn’t a mouthpiece or corporate lackey, said he has never seen a rookie WR be where Jeudy is already and it’s just 3 days in. He also had very, very high praise for Drew Lock. And this isn’t a guy who blows smoke.

I heard Jake Butt is doing really well too and, while I’m tempering my enthusiasm there, I’ve always said the guy could be a Heath Miller-type TE for us. With athletic marvels in Fant and Albert O., we could have a real 3-headed monster at TE. It would suck as Matt “pour me another drink in a Patriot Way glass” Russell’s decision to go after Vannett could be a sunk cost. And I’d love that. 

After reading daily updates of training camp, I always repeat in my head, "please let there be football, please let there be football." I know there are going to be growing pains, but I'm so excited to see this team on the field. I'm really hopeful for a lot of our young talent, and am excited of the prospect of Lock having a 2nd year in any offensive system since, I think, high school... (meaning next year when I think we could realistically compete for playoffs/conference championship if everything falls into place)

While we've heard a lot about Jeudy, our most controversial pick was definitely KJ Hamler with Ojemudia a close second. @AnAngryAmerican, have you heard any updates on how they have looked? Updates for them have been very sparse. 

Edited by grizmo78

22 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Rather than cut one of those TEs, I am guessing, one or two could get traded for something...a RT?  

4 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

After reading daily updates of training camp, I always repeat in my head, "please let there be football, please let there be football." I know there are going to be growing pains, but I'm so excited to see this team on the field. I'm really hopeful for a lot of our young talent, and am excited of the prospect of Lock having a 2nd year in any offensive system since, I think, high school... (meaning next year when I think we could realistically compete for playoffs/conference championship if everything falls into place)

While we've heard a lot about Jeudy, our most controversial pick was definitely KJ Hamler with Ojemudia a close second. @AnAngryAmerican, have you heard any updates on how they have looked? Updates for them have been very sparse. 

Hamler keeps showing up in highlights I've seen on social media. Not sure who the corner was but he completely dusted him, nice route.  Guys just too quick.

Sounds like CB3 (right outside corner in nickel) is a Bausby vs. Yiadom battle, at least for now. I’ve always thought if they needed him to do the job, Bausby was more than capable. He played a couple strong games last year after Yiadom had been picked on by teams, he’s worked in the scheme for Fangio and Donatell for several years, and he has that ball hawking trait you like to see from a zone corner. Yiadom has never seemed confident enough to make plays on the ball. Both guys need to improve their tackling but I have a lot more belief in Bausby as a cover corner.

• Like 1

Sounds like the OL is really a mess, struggling to protect Lock.  I hope Demar Dotson can help, but I think we need to seriously evaluate if the best way to protect Lock is simply throwing out our 5 best football players.  Do you move Risner to RT and give Muti a shot at LG?  Bolles, best C available, and Glasgow keep their spots.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Pleased to see Strnad's making a good impression. We've been needing a good, sideline to sideline, coverage ILB since Danny left.

It's good news for sure, as our weakest unit on D (outside of a young CB corps) sounds like it took a major hit today.   Not putting weight on the left leg is bad news, especially if it's non-contact.   Davis is still an absolute liability in pass coverage, and a big reason why ILB is a priority to address next offseason, but it's still going to hurt our run D in a huge way if he's out.   Guess it's time to find out how well Jewell fits into a Fangio scheme, and whether Alexander Johnson can be the main run stopper now.

I’d like to see Strnad leapfrog Jewell soon. Seen enough to know Jewell is a liability as a starter. Not sure what Strnad brings early but at least he can run. 

Really need solutions at tackle and linebacker next year. I think LB will be Vic’s priority after almost taking one with a 1st in two straight drafts. 

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I’d like to see Strnad leapfrog Jewell soon. Seen enough to know Jewell is a liability as a starter. Not sure what Strnad brings early but at least he can run. 

Really need solutions at tackle and linebacker next year. I think LB will be Vic’s priority after almost taking one with a 1st in two straight drafts. 

Agreed.  I think Jewell is a sold depth player, but that’s at best.  If Strnad is able to be a capable starter that’s a coup.  His tape was good when I watched, but then he didn’t test particularly well.....very much like Danny Trevathan.  Though Strnad didn’t have Trevathan’s college production.