Training camp 2020 thread

paul-mac

48 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Agreed.  I think Jewell is a sold depth player, but that’s at best.  If Strnad is able to be a capable starter that’s a coup.  His tape was good when I watched, but then he didn’t test particularly well.....very much like Danny Trevathan.  Though Strnad didn’t have Trevathan’s college production.

Yeah his testing numbers made no sense to me after getting a good look at his tape. He’s at least an above average athlete for the position, he moves sideline to sideline pretty easily. Sometimes you just gotta trust your eyes and put aside the tests, like Jeudy bombing the 3-cone. 

It’s really encouraging to me how many of the rookies have popped up to this point. I think the only ones I haven’t heard at least a couple good things about are Ojemudia and Tuszka (who is probably PS bound).

8 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Another calf injury for Davis. If it’s as bad as last year he’d miss the first four or so games. 

A 2nd calf injury is bad news, because if it's the lower calf it's also a signal that the Achilles is likely getting a lot of strain.   

It's a tough thing to say this early before the season even starts, but this year aside, this should cement Elway's decision for Davis as a UFA at end of season (should have been the call regardless given what Fangio's D requires, but this should seal the deal).  Davis always been a less than ideal starter IMO because his pass deficiencies are so easy for other O's to exploit on early downs, but at this point, this isn't a revelation.   The repetitive calf injuries, though, confirm that the mileage is adding up, and that's the time to get out as an org, and wish him well in FA next offseason. 

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah his testing numbers made no sense to me after getting a good look at his tape. He’s at least an above average athlete for the position, he moves sideline to sideline pretty easily. Sometimes you just gotta trust your eyes and put aside the tests, like Jeudy bombing the 3-cone. 

It’s really encouraging to me how many of the rookies have popped up to this point. I think the only ones I haven’t heard at least a couple good things about are Ojemudia and Tuszka (who is probably PS bound).

Yep.  Especially in the 6th round.  Strnad‘s game tape was better than a 6th rounder.  Crazy part is, his testing numbers would indicate he isn’t a cover LB and more of a 2 down between the tackles thumper, but I thought his best attributes were in coverage and chasing sideline to sideline.....which goes along with your take, sometimes just have to trust your eyes.

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

A 2nd calf injury is bad news, because if it's the lower calf it's also a signal that the Achilles is likely getting a lot of strain.   

It's a tough thing to say this early before the season even starts, but this year aside, this should cement Elway's decision for Davis as a UFA at end of season (should have been the call regardless given what Fangio's D requires, but this should seal the deal).  Davis always been a less than ideal starter IMO because his pass deficiencies are so easy for other O's to exploit on early downs, but at this point, this isn't a revelation.   The repetitive calf injuries, though, confirm that the mileage is adding up, and that's the time to get out as an org, and wish him well in FA next offseason. 

I bet they would have TJ Ward’ed Todd around this time if things had gone according to plan (moving up for Patrick Queen). He has no future here, but he’s still the best option you have at MIKE until you can replace him. The ceiling has never been high but he does bring a lot to the defense with the things he does well. Dreaming of getting Dylan Moses in this defense next year and raising the ceiling for Fangio’s group long term. 

13 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Man today was not a good day.   Hammys in speed guys is a problem not just now, but because the likelihood of recurrence goes way up for RoS.

This was my fear with Hamler in the draft process. Great talent but staying healthy at his size was worrisome. And now the Hammys. 

5 hours ago, germ-x said:

Yep.  Especially in the 6th round.  Strnad‘s game tape was better than a 6th rounder.  Crazy part is, his testing numbers would indicate he isn’t a cover LB and more of a 2 down between the tackles thumper, but I thought his best attributes were in coverage and chasing sideline to sideline.....which goes along with your take, sometimes just have to trust your eyes.

Yep like Joe Schobert. 4.76 40 and not great all around testing numbers. But one of the better LBers in coverage in the league. 

6 hours ago, Counselor said:

Yep like Joe Schobert. 4.76 40 and not great all around testing numbers. But one of the better LBers in coverage in the league. 

Yep. The spatial difference between a 4.7 guy an a 4.5 guy over the span of 15-20 yards ( typical coverage range for a Mike) is about a foot. Great instincts/understanding of the game = faster reaction times and better angles. Way more than makes up the gap. The only time it makes a huge difference is if you end up with a linebacker somehow covering a fade route, which in most cases would be a pretty serious pre-snap breakdown. 

• Like 1

I heard that they haven't been running Cushenberry with the ones. This might very well be because he's not perfectly ready and yes he's a rookie but one with a lot of experience on an elite team with a pro-style offense that faced elite competition week in and week out.

I hope this isn't Fangio being "old school" and making a rookie earn his role. We didn't have a real offseason, camp is shortened and there are no preseason games. If they expect Cushenberry to be a starter, especially on week one, he needs to be getting as many reps as possible with the starting OL and develop chemistry with that group as well as with Drew. My beat reporter friend seems to think it's Fangio being "old school" which is one of many reasons why I think the guy was and continues to be a poor choice as a HC. 

Let's hope it changes soon, the OL has enough problems and keeping an expected starter with the second string is only going to hurt things early in the season when the schedule is brutal. 

^ I think its more of trying to get all the different players some experience together in case anyone misses time. If Cush was exclusively working with the ones and then contracts COVID, having a new center who has never practiced with lock or the starting unit would be much more detrimental. This season is really going to test depth of rosters and I think it's smart to rotate players around. With that said, I do hope in the next week or two that we settle on a starting unit and give them a few weeks of practicing together to gel further before the start of the season. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I heard that they haven't been running Cushenberry with the ones. This might very well be because he's not perfectly ready and yes he's a rookie but one with a lot of experience on an elite team with a pro-style offense that faced elite competition week in and week out.

I hope this isn't Fangio being "old school" and making a rookie earn his role. We didn't have a real offseason, camp is shortened and there are no preseason games. If they expect Cushenberry to be a starter, especially on week one, he needs to be getting as many reps as possible with the starting OL and develop chemistry with that group as well as with Drew. My beat reporter friend seems to think it's Fangio being "old school" which is one of many reasons why I think the guy was and continues to be a poor choice as a HC. 

Let's hope it changes soon, the OL has enough problems and keeping an expected starter with the second string is only going to hurt things early in the season when the schedule is brutal. 

That was always going to be an uphll climb. Schlottman played pretty well as a starter last year and Morris was highly though of. They're both also quite hungry and not going to give up that spot without a fight.

Also, who's where on the OL would be Munchaks call, not Vic's.

Cushenberry had a couple days where he split time between the 1s and 2s, but has primarily ran with the 2s. Actually find it encouraging that they haven’t been playing him with the 3s. Schlottmann looks like the clear leader here but I think it’s still open. Morris has reportedly been pretty shaky so Cush could get more of his reps. If he doesn’t get a couple runs with the ones next week, that’s probably a sign he won’t start Week 1. 

3 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Look likes Hamler might miss 4 weeks

Hope he takes it easy and doesn’t try to rush back. He’s clearly a big part of their future plans and they’ll find plays for him this year but he probably wasn’t going to be an opening day 30+ snap guy so I’d rather he take the time to really get right before getting back out there.