Training camp 2020 thread

paul-mac

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I like that he has the anchor to stop the stronger DTs in their tracks. Paradis was a nice center for us  but he and those smaller ZBS type centers always struggle with raw power. Cush is a different prototype for his size. I remember the Raiders in 2016 running power for damn near an entire game because Rodney Hudson was blowing Sylvester Williams off the ball every play. Cush has that upside. 

No argument there, physically, outside of some limited lateral agility he's the perfect package. 

18 hours ago, AKRNA said:

That would be truly wonderful! Schlottman on the bench gives us great IOL depth at all three positions. really curious how Muti's faring. I'd be really pleased if they could give him a year of off-field rehab and training room regimen and let him fully heal.

Muti as an IR stash feels like an Elway move but I’ve never been a huge fan of it because it means that he can’t practice by NFL rules. Muti is healthy enough to practice and play by all accounts, so I think he makes the roster, even though he’s probably a game day scratch at least to begin with. 

The expansion to 55 man rosters likely means there are 10 OL on the roster. If the season started today I think we’d be looking at:

LT: Garrett Bolles

LG: Dalton Risner

OC: Lloyd Cushenberry III

RG: Graham Glasgow

RT: Demar Dotson

Swing OT: Elijah Wilkinson, Jake Rodgers

Swing IOL: Austin Schlottmann, Patrick Morris, Netane Muti 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Sounds like a lot of love for Justin Strnad. I expect we're gonna see a LOT of playing time for him early on.

Or not... he’s done for the year with a wrist injury. Real tough break for the young player and for the defense and special teams. With Todd Davis also injured, we might look to bolster the LB room. 

At least we finally have a young LB in the pipeline again. 

Three of our rookies with pretty significant injuries in camp. Even a one or two week injury for a guy like Ojemudia really sets him back in the short term while that cluster of 4-5 corners compete to make the roster. Fangio alluded to it in the off-season, they have a dime package with AJ as the lone linebacker. Haven’t read or heard anywhere who has been used in that spot. Maybe Duke Dawson? We know Yiadom, Bausby and Harris have been rotating at outside corner. 

53 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Not signing Simmons was a mistake. Only gonna be more expensive from here! 

Yeah.  Definitely depends on his season this year, but if it’s anything like last season I doubt he’s a Bronco.  I still don’t necessarily disagree with Denver not paying him.  Up until last season he wasn’t much better than average.  Fangio also seems to get the most out of that position.  Everywhere he goes he gets pro bowl caliber play out of his safeties.  

Would love to keep Simmons long term, though.  He’s one of my favorite current broncos.

• Like 1

From a financial and business aspect not signing Simmons was the right thing to do. Revenue losses will occur this year, how much is just a guess, but any loss will result in a decreased Salary Cap next year.

Not a good time to be handing out large contracts.

• Like 1

I don’t think the cap will actually drop. That felt like an empty threat from the owners when they were negotiating COVID stuff with the players’ union. New TV deals will send the cap through the roof, any losses this year can be negated by borrowing against future earnings. You’d just see more of a slow, gradual growth like we’ve seen for the past decade rather than a couple spikes. I think the “cap will drop” thing was just owner-driven fear mongering, they can get around it and it benefits nobody.