Training camp 2020 thread

paul-mac

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Heard some terrible news. Wilkinson is playing exactly as expected.

I do think Wilkinson is a serious liability in pass pro but some preseason tape would be helpful to the team here. Von had an insane offseason of training and looks like a superhero right now and he’s reportedly extremely motivated to lead by example so he’s just dominating Elijah every day, relentlessly. I’d be curious to see how he’d fare going against a less than 100% Chubb coming off the ACL. The best pass rushers will expose most tackles and Elijah is definitely screwed in that regard. When he’s matching up with guys who are just average, replacement level edge rushers, can he not be a liability? That’s provably the most you can ask for. 

If Demar Dotson has any football left in him I’m sure the Broncos will try to squeeze those last drops out at some point. 

On 9/1/2020 at 12:31 AM, BroncoBruin said:

The Prince signing was such a no brainer for Denver for months, I think it’s pretty damning that they never seemed to show interest. He was an easy stop gap on a defense that needs to be good for a coaching staff that knows exactly what he can give them.

Personally I think if we’re just talking about covering WRs in this scheme Bausby probably has more upside as a short term #3 outside guy than Prince offers at this stage. As a team defender, tackler etc. maybe he doesn’t give you as much as Prince, and that does matter in this scheme. But I’m okay with staying pat at corner while everyone is healthy. The bet you’re making is that just one of Yiadom, Harris or Ojemudia make a leap under some really good coaching in a scheme that makes things easier for corners physically. 

Yeah, plus Amukumura is at the stage of his career where he could be falling off a cliff skills wise.    So I don’t have a problem if Elway stands pat.  As I’ve said before IMO our window for sustained contention is more 2021+ regardless - but  esp with this lost offseason that really tilts breakthrough team wise to next year.  

Teams that have to implement new systems are at a huge disadvantage to begin this season.   It’s not surprising that the D has killed the O in TC as a result.  Besides the fact we’re incorporating so many rookies and 2nd year guys the new system adds such a steep learning curve.   

Edited by Broncofan

Bassey getting first team reps is an interesting development and probably means he’s making this team. Writing is on the wall for Duke Dawson and it would mean either Harris or Yiadom are likely to be cut as well.

Right now, I’d be shopping Isaac Yiadom around for a late rounder, see if Cleveland (Joe Woods DC) or Arizona (Vance Joseph DC) are interested. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Bassey getting first team reps is an interesting development and probably means he’s making this team. Writing is on the wall for Duke Dawson and it would mean either Harris or Yiadom are likely to be cut as well.

Right now, I’d be shopping Isaac Yiadom around for a late rounder, see if Cleveland (Joe Woods DC) or Arizona (Vance Joseph DC) are interested. 

There it is.

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Elway is that you?

Yiadom was brought in for the Vance Joseph scheme and the writing has been on the wall ever since Fangio came in. Ojemudia is a far better scheme fit although it sounds like Bassey might have already surpassed him in terms of rookie CBs. I think this means Davontae Harris will also makes the team as a 6th corner/special teams.

Your 2020 corners are: AJ Bouye, Bryce Callahan, De’Vante Bausby, Essang Bassey, Michael Ojemudia, Davontae Harris 

6 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I started laughing as soon as I checked the Bronco's team page this evening. Best call of the year!

• Like 1

Is anyone else just a little bit concerned about Chubb’s knee? Totally realize that every injury is different, so I have to be careful with false equivalencies. But Adrian Peterson tore his ACL and MCL in DECEMBER and came back to rush for 2000 yards the very next season. Chubb has had nearly three more months of recovery time, yet he’s clearly not back to normal yet. Just hoping this doesn’t turn into another Shane Ray situation. 

Can you guys provide any insight into Yiadom? Seems like the Giants made that move based on the total lack of experience they have at corner right now. From what I can tell by stat scouting, he has not been good in his 2 years playing, but he's got the length and physical traits the Giants like in their corners.